Could someone explain the clock to a newbie?

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Laura
Peasant Status

Could someone explain the clock to a newbie?

#1 Post by Laura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Could someone explain the clock to a newbie? Without any puzzle solution spoilers, please!

Specifically, how much time do I have to finish the game?

I love big, beautiful worlds with challenging puzzles. The KQII remake was fabulous. I was seriously stuck three times, but soldiered on, with logic, creative and lateral thinking, experimentation, etc. and figured out the solutions without ever resorting to a walkthrough. It was one of the most satisfying adventure games I've ever played!

But I've no experience with a ticking clock above the game screen so I'm not sure how I should adjust my playing strategy. I'm pretty methodical and like to take my time. I'm starting to get how the wizard is coming and going and learning what I can and can't do. That shouldn't be a problem. But without knowing how much time I have overall -- or what I'm supposed to accomplish in that time, presumably it's to escape the wizard -- it's hard not to be worried that I will run out of time, that this game might not be suitable to my playing style. (I like to look and touch everything that seems unlikely to solve a puzzle, before I consciously start trying to solve puzzles. :p )

I tried looking this up elsewhere, but came too close to seeing puzzle solution spoilers, which I would rather avoid. If it was stated in the game intro or the manual, I'm sorry I must have missed it. So I'd really appreciate answer to my specific question -- and please no puzzle solution spoilers in this thread. Thanks!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Could someone explain the clock to a newbie?

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey Laura,

Try taking a look in the PDF Manual that came with the game. There is a description of the timer and how it works there.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#3 Post by El Ravager » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Did you check the game manual? I think you'll find your questions satisfactorily answered on p. 20. :)

EDIT: One minute too late...

Laura
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Laura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes, I read the manual and understand everything on page 20. But it doesn't say anything about the overall time limit for completing the game? I mean, the clock doesn't reset when the wizard returns, it keeps on ticking from where it was, which gives the impression there is some overall time limit, in addition to timing the wizard's comings and goings. Is that not the case?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 pm

No, there's no overall time limit. The timer is just there for the purpose of knowing how long the wizard will be absent, and when he will return. You can't run out of time and lose the game, so just keep playing as you have been doing, and you should be fine.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 pm

For some time, I considered turning off the game clock after dealing with the wizard, but we ultimately decided to leave it in there. But there's no real time limit in the game.

Laura
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Laura » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:48 pm

Ahh, okay. Thanks very much. :) Back to it...

aozgolo
Peasant Status

#8 Post by aozgolo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 am

The game does start out with a bit of a stumper trying to figure out how to escape the wizard's clutches but once you've... solved that riddle, the timer element is no longer present in the game and you can be slow and methodical all you want.

Until then the only thing I think to mention in regards to adapting your playstyle is just save often and save in more than one file. They've stated there are no dead ends in the game so you shouldn't end up wasting something you will need later (or at least not without an alternative to solving said puzzle), but for the most part the puzzles I believe are all pretty logical, so just take your time and don't get frustrated by dying, at least each time you do it rules out the chance of doing that mistake again.