Magic Map

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

BarneytheCat
Peasant Status

Magic Map

#1 Post by BarneytheCat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:12 am

Had anyone come across the magic map in the game? : ) I was able to beat the game without aquiring it.

Aristocles
Royal Servant Status

Re: Magic Map

#2 Post by Aristocles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 am

Look behind the clothes. Also, you will lose the map at one point, and you cannot help it.

DarkTerror8
Peasant Status

#3 Post by DarkTerror8 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am

Felt silly as hell, I remember the magic map existing in the closet, but I couldn't find it in there, so I played the game without it lol... would have saved me a lot of time as I have a tendency to fall on that mountain..

JohnWWells
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by JohnWWells » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh, man. I forgot about the map!

Thank goodness for high speed settings.

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#5 Post by MartijnF » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

So if you don't have the map, what happens to the pirate on the ship who finds it when you do have it?

Lambonius
Knight Status

#6 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 pm

That's a good question. Considering all the thought put into small details in this game, there's probably a specific scene for that contingency. :)

BTW, to find the map, you have click on the dark space between the items in the closet, not on the clothes themselves. Just in case anyone was still having trouble. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 pm

If you didn't have the map, you'll find the second mate asleep in the bunks along with the other pirates. That map-scene wasn't planned either. It was the result of a little discussion that kinda went like this:

Stijn: What should we do with the magic map after Llewdor is finished? It's only scripted to handle Llewdor right now. During Treasure Island, you don't have it with you. You can't get it at the ship until it's time to abandon ship. In the later parts, we'd have to disable it in order to avoid the player from messing up some puzzles. (mostly the cliff puzzle and partly the first yeti encounter)

Sean: I'm all for removing it. One option might be to have the pirates comment on it when they take Alex's things. "Looks like some kinda treasure map. I think I be keepin' this for meself." Another option would be to have it blow out of Alex's hands the first time he tries using it after Llewdor. That's kind of a cheesy way of getting rid of it though...

Stijn: How about a variation? Like...(current map-vanishing scene)

Sean: ROTFLMAO...that's going into the game!!!!!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#8 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

It was a great scene! Classic Sierra humor, too. :)

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#9 Post by MartijnF » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 pm

It is kinda weird that the pirate is able to see locations on the map though, as he hasn't visited these locations when he had the map, so it should have been blank to him 8))

I'm just kidding, it is a great scene :lol