Awards? *possible spoilers*

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Ayrus
Peasant Status

Re: Awards? *possible spoilers*

#101 Post by Ayrus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Xandarius wrote:Your English comes across as being as good as a native speaker's, actually. But some of these award references are cultural or highly idiomatic.

A 'klutz' is a very clumsy person.
Of course, now I think I know how you can get that. You can fall down in the lab screen from the stairs, and then get up, seemingly unharmed. Note that this is not the screen in which you see the trapdoor, that fall is fatal, but in the laboratory screen. I wondered if that did anything when it happened, seemed a little faster way to get down the stairs. Also, another location to fall over is at the beginning of the mountain, it is a very short fall on the left side of the path, near a rock. I don't remember if there were other places to fall down, but you can destroy that one chair, but personally I don't think it is clumsiness, since the chair just collapses.

You can also get an "Ouch!" reaction if you walk against the anchor.
Xandarius wrote: Molasses is a type of syrup. It is highly viscous and flows very slowly, and we have the expression, 'slow as molasses'.
Thanks for clearing that up, my playthrough took ages :).
Xandarius wrote: Goldilocks is a character from the children's story 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears'. You can read a version of it here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yZUNAA ... &q&f=false

(Or, if you don't want to read the whole thing, I suppose I could summarize it for you).
I only glanced it, I've heard that story as a child in my own language, and the translated names are of course different. I guess that is related to sitting on the chairs, perhaps even at the beds.

Ayrus
Peasant Status

#102 Post by Ayrus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Xandarius wrote:I got Stockholm without kicking the cat. Additionally, I was never punished, I talked to Manannan after four different meals (the maximum, it seems), and it took several more meals before I managed to defeat him. So, I was dealing with him for nearly two hours, I think.
Since Stockholm syndrome refers to a real, strange state which sometimes happens in hostage situations, where hostages start to sympathize with their hostagetakers, it is possible those conversations are enough to get it, since you show interest in your captor and his life. I got that award too and did those.

In real life, Stockholm syndrome affected hostages have even spoken on captivors behalf after their captivity, to the public, and sometimes have even attempted to prevent the police from arresting the criminals.

Linnau
Peasant Status

#103 Post by Linnau » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 pm

Klutz: I received it without falling from the stairs. Just the mountain path and the "ouch" with the anchor.

Stockholm: Someone here has already said that making all the conversation with the wizard had not been enough for him for getting this award. I got this award and made the cat cookie before making the amber stone, so it's not about doing all spells before. The cookie-feeding was my sixth wizard-feeding, so my best theory is that this award has something to do with how many times you give food to the wizard.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#104 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Correct. Stockholm is basically founded on the idea of keeping the wizard around for a fairly long time...opposite of grudge.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#105 Post by Radogol » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Linnau wrote:Klutz: I received it without falling from the stairs. Just the mountain path and the "ouch" with the anchor.

Stockholm: Someone here has already said that making all the conversation with the wizard had not been enough for him for getting this award. I got this award and made the cat cookie before making the amber stone, so it's not about doing all spells before. The cookie-feeding was my sixth wizard-feeding, so my best theory is that this award has something to do with how many times you give food to the wizard.
Maybe you could also get if for doing chores even if not instructed to do so?

Scully
Peasant Status

#106 Post by Scully » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:45 pm

navynuke04 wrote:The store owner and pirate captain are not the only characters willing to sell you stuff.... :)

You can buy stuff from the pirate captain??

Scully
Peasant Status

#107 Post by Scully » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Ayrus wrote:Since Stockholm syndrome refers to a real, strange state which sometimes happens in hostage situations, where hostages start to sympathize with their hostagetakers, it is possible those conversations are enough to get it, since you show interest in your captor and his life. I got that award too and did those.

I talked to Manannan after every meal, but never got this award. Do you also have to wake him up several times to talk with him? (Since he said not to disturb him, I never dared because I figured I'd get zapped or punished.)

Scully
Peasant Status

#108 Post by Scully » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Erpy wrote:Correct. Stockholm is basically founded on the idea of keeping the wizard around for a fairly long time...opposite of grudge.

I kept him around for 6 meals and I never got the award. How many does it take?

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#109 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

- Never carried more than 7 items at any one time (storm spell requires holding minimum of 7 items)
- Annoyed wizard 3 times
- Woke wizard from nap
- Used eagle spell at outside of house to reach bottom of mountain
- Fell from lab stairs multiple times, fell from ship upper deck
- Sampled all Behr porridge/chairs/beds

...umm... infamous? idk what that one is.

edit: Ohhh...
navynuke04 wrote:The store owner and pirate captain are not the only characters willing to sell you stuff.... :)
Yes. I bought some, thinking it might get me an award maybe.

psychandy
Peasant Status

#110 Post by psychandy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:26 pm

First-time posting...

Just finished the game on my first time through... took a few days.

I got the Roger Wilco Award - I had the deck brush in my possession when I finished the game. That may have something to do with it...

Linnau
Peasant Status

#111 Post by Linnau » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

psychandy wrote:First-time posting...

Just finished the game on my first time through... took a few days.

I got the Roger Wilco Award - I had the deck brush in my possession when I finished the game. That may have something to do with it...
Wow, the Roger Wilco. Do you mean the broom from the ship galley? I also had it in my possession, but didn't get this award.

Linnau
Peasant Status

#112 Post by Linnau » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:41 pm

BTW, I think I figured out what's the scatterbrain award. I think you receive it when you depart Llewdor leaving untidy stuf in the wizard's house...bedroom drawers open, open wand cabinet, etc.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#113 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Billetwound wrote:Roger Wilco Award - Haven't a clue
Roger Wilco is a janitor from Space Quest. Maybe it has something to do with the chamber pot?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#114 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow, the Roger Wilco. Do you mean the broom from the ship galley? I also had it in my possession, but didn't get this award.
You need another item. Think Space Quest 6.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#115 Post by Billetwound » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Erpy wrote:You need another item. Think Space Quest 6.
Ha, you know i was thinking that but i wasn't sure. Thats pretty funny.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#116 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Crap, I never played that. ...yet.

Just got Blue Hedgehog (33:11) and Grudge. I didn't think it would be possible to defeat Manannan after only his first journey, but I did :)
I was also trying to get Underachiever, but realized halfway through that I had picked up the mirror without thinking whether I needed it.

Incidentally,
flyinghammy wrote:You will have to get the cookie made before Manannan comes back the first time, and that means going to town twice because you will need to make the fly/eagle and instrument spell first and then get the mandrake.
You mean THREE times. Once for the journal; once for the seawater in the vial; once for the page. You have to get the journal to open the door and get access to the vial. You need to fill the vial with seawater to make the spell to ultimately get the page. You need the page to make the cookie.

Other items you can get on different trips (you can get the mandrake on the 2nd trip), but it is these three items that force you to do things in a certain order.
Last edited by Chyron_8472 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MisterKerr
Peasant Status

#117 Post by MisterKerr » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Erpy wrote:
Is it a certain item you get at the beginning and use at the end of that game?

Ayrus
Peasant Status

#118 Post by Ayrus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Scully wrote:
Ayrus wrote:Since Stockholm syndrome refers to a real, strange state which sometimes happens in hostage situations, where hostages start to sympathize with their hostagetakers, it is possible those conversations are enough to get it, since you show interest in your captor and his life. I got that award too and did those.

I talked to Manannan after every meal, but never got this award. Do you also have to wake him up several times to talk with him? (Since he said not to disturb him, I never dared because I figured I'd get zapped or punished.)
I didn't wake him up at all, but got the award. If you need to wait as long as possible to deal with him, that probably means making all the spells and so on, so that you are ready to leave after turning him to a cat.

Ayrus
Peasant Status

#119 Post by Ayrus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Erpy wrote:
I also had that broom with me and no award. Haven't played SQ6. But since many items are mandatory to have in this game (and until the end), that leaves items which you either don't need to pick up at all, or which somehow respawn after their "use", or an item which you can use but don't necessarily have to. In this case, food comes to mind. You don't necessarily have to feed the apples or bread to Manannan, which means they could still be with you at the end. Feeding the eagle can be done with the ham or with the fish, which means it could be either one of those too. I fed the fish to the eagle, since I had reserved the food from the house to the wizard, and used them up before feeding him the porridges. I'm not sure does the porridge respawn after Manannan eats the one with the cookie.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#120 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm still confused about the Pacifist award.

Erpy says it has something to do with aversion to weapons, but the only weapon I can think of is the knife. Does that mean you throw the knife away into the cave and leave it there?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#121 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Why don't you try that?
You mean THREE times. Once for the journal; once for the seawater in the vial; once for the page. You have to get the journal to open the door and get access to the vial. You need to fill the vial with seawater to make the spell to ultimately get the page. You need the page to make the cookie.
Not necessarily. You can switch ocean water between the two containers.

Ayrus
Peasant Status

#122 Post by Ayrus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Chyron_8472 wrote:I'm still confused about the Pacifist award.

Erpy says it has something to do with aversion to weapons, but the only weapon I can think of is the knife. Does that mean you throw the knife away into the cave and leave it there?
But if that can be done, doesn't that mean that you don't even need to take the knife at the beginning? If I recall, I released Rosella with the knife, perhaps it is not necessary. And the knife can be used to divide the cactus to two, to create juice. Or perhaps there is other way, otherwise you would be in a dead end if the knife is in the cave and you would still need it for the cactus?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#123 Post by Erpy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Or perhaps there is other way, otherwise you would be in a dead end if the knife is in the cave and you would still need it for the cactus?
Bah, planning issues.

Broomie
The Enigma

#124 Post by Broomie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Haha, like how you get the Infamous award. We're not that bad are we? :p

Anyway, love the game and the awards system. Adds great replayability to it. Kudos, AGDI.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#125 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Erpy wrote:
Or perhaps there is other way, otherwise you would be in a dead end if the knife is in the cave and you would still need it for the cactus?
Bah, planning issues.
So that's a yes.

You need the knife for spellcasting, but if you leave the cat cookie for last, you can throw the knife in and leave it there when you get the mandrake.