Awards? *possible spoilers*

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

etherlad
Royal Servant Status

Re: Awards? *possible spoilers*

#151 Post by etherlad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 am

I somehow managed to only get the consolation award. :/

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#152 Post by Erpy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Feeding big M isn't considered a chore by the awards. The other 4 activities he might order you to do are.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#153 Post by TriniMage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Finished the a replay in 1 hours [sic], 10 minutes and 50 seconds with 170 points... (You don’t have to read the journal. If you open it, read the code and then restore the game you are still able to open the trapdoor)
Now have the Following Awards
Perfectionist
Dag-nab-it, Underachiever, Sloth, Lightweight, Problem Child, Rise and Shine, Molasses, Insomniac, Wallflower, Shortcut, Marathon, Stockholm, Klutz, Infamous, Mr. Bigglesworth, Legenimor, Goldilocks

Still missing
Consolation, Blue Hedgehog, ‘Enry the ‘ermit, Scatterbrain, Grudge, Gluttony, Pacifist, Neat Freak, Roger Wilco, Dolittle

I got the impression that the Grudge Award was for turning Mannanan into a cat in the second session... did that no award...

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[/size]

[EDIT] Got the grudge award - turned him into a cat after his first journey... this was difficult to do... got it by about 2 or 3 seconds... after too many tries to count...
Last edited by TriniMage on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#154 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:29 pm

TriniMage wrote:Finished the a replay in 1 hours [sic], 10 minutes and 50 seconds with 170 points... (You don’t have to read the journal. If you open it, read the code and then restore the game you are still able to open the trapdoor)
navynuke04 wrote:The code to the levers is not actually generated until you find the clue that tells you what it is.
So the aforementioned "trigger" for making the lever puzzle completable was literally just finding the clue, not looking at it. That's quite an excellent word choice in retrospect, NavyNuke. However, it make a different statement of yours inaccurate.
navynuke04 wrote:The code is randomly generated the first time you open the book, so restoring to before the book should get you a different code.
TriniMage's info is accurate (I checked), so the generation must be upon taking the book, not opening it. Still, I'd imagine dropping that one point is not a common thing for most players (especially not the first time through). Did you already have Underachiever, TriniMage, or did you get it for the first time in your 170 point playthrough?

One new question I have is for the Dolittle Award. I noticed there are multiple conversations to overhear for some of the animals. Are all of them required, because I seem to have possibly found a bug. If Alex overhears the birds talking about the library first, I can never overhear them talking about Manny's trips later.

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#155 Post by calvinfoo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Would it be possible to list down each of the Awards requirement instead of guessing it? Just looking at the Award title, it really can't tell much.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#156 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Hmmmmmmm.......... I guess it has just been too long since that was programmed. :\

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#157 Post by TriniMage » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Brainiac wrote:TriniMage's info is accurate (I checked), so the generation must be upon taking the book, not opening it. Still, I'd imagine dropping that one point is not a common thing for most players (especially not the first time through). Did you already have Underachiever, TriniMage, or did you get it for the first time in your 170 point playthrough?
No it was my second try for underachiever. Previously I had 175 points, and I realized that the map (3) and bread (1) were not necessary for game completion so it was almost routine to complete for the award. I already had 17 of the 28 awards so this makes 18 awards.
On Mannanan’s first journey, I went to town to collect all the ingredients for the fly and music spells so that I could return to town on the second visit and get the ingredients for the cat spell. When I got down to Mannanan’s library, I opened the book, looked at it and wrote down the code. As I was getting short on time to make the music and fly spells, I restored to the previous save to get a few extra seconds (I hoped that the code is generated when you pick up the book.) I had documented all actions that lead to points so I knew that opening the book would give a point. Of course, I was sure when I left town with 120 points...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#158 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Brainiac wrote:One new question I have is for the Dolittle Award. I noticed there are multiple conversations to overhear for some of the animals. Are all of them required, because I seem to have possibly found a bug. If Alex overhears the birds talking about the library first, I can never overhear them talking about Manny's trips later.
Well, the conversation finally came up; I just had to find the birds about seven times to finally get it to trigger. I'm not sure what caused it, unless some code interactions caused the conversation to have to occur on a specific screen or something.

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#159 Post by Xandarius » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 pm

You can still get the Underachiever award with 171 points (with reading the journal).

Also, the Grudge award seems to come from turning M into a cat at the first opportunity.

newcombm7
Peasant Status

#160 Post by newcombm7 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:19 pm

All I'm missing now is the Gluttony award and I feel like I've tried just about everything I can think of. I honestly don't just want to be flat out told how to get it, but I would appreciate a hint.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#161 Post by Billetwound » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:10 am

If you looked up Gluttony on/in a dictionary or the internet you'd find out your answer.

newcombm7
Peasant Status

#162 Post by newcombm7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 am

Don't mean to be rude - but, I already knew what it meant. Apparently I was waiting too long to begin working on the award. Thanks for the input though, I guess knowing that I was at least on the right track made me think a little harder about what I was doing. Got them all now!!

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#163 Post by Chyron_8472 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am

Do you get Wallflower by only talking to people when absolutely necessary?

How can I ensure what is and isn't necessary?

also, is it possible to get Gluttony and Roger Wilco in the same run?

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#164 Post by Xandarius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 am

Let's see... to get Wallflower, I think you only need to:

speak to the bard just enough times for him to mention an instrument.

after clicking the hand on the lute, speak to the barmaid enough times for her to inform you that you need to perform

speak to the pirate captain once before giving him your gold

and speak to the first mate after doing your chores.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#165 Post by TriniMage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:49 am

Anyone know what is the cut off time for the Blue Hedhog Award?

*[EDIT]* Never Mind - You must enter the Castle's Gate by 38:48 to give a playing time of 38:59 to get this award...

newcombm7
Peasant Status

#166 Post by newcombm7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:45 pm

No, you cannot get Roger Wilco and Gluttony in the same run. You can get Gluttony with many other awards though.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#167 Post by TriniMage » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 pm

newcombm7 wrote:All I'm missing now is the Gluttony award and I feel like I've tried just about everything I can think of. I honestly don't just want to be flat out told how to get it, but I would appreciate a hint.
Recall that the porridge respawns! I don’t think Mannanan needs food – he should be starved! So why carry it around unless you need it for the cat spell?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#168 Post by Erpy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:10 pm

All I'm missing now is the Gluttony award and I feel like I've tried just about everything I can think of. I honestly don't just want to be flat out told how to get it, but I would appreciate a hint.
Click certain items on yourself in a certain location.

Oldbushie
Knight Status

#169 Post by Oldbushie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Speaking of food... for some reason, during my first playthrough, Manannan demanded to be fed for every chore but the first. I *hope* that was just the random number generator being insane. When does the game decide what chore to give you next so I know where to reload to if I don't like a given chore?

newcombm7
Peasant Status

#170 Post by newcombm7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks again for the help on the Gluttony award - I did figure it out, I was waiting too long (after dealing with Mannanan) to start trying to get the award and was therefore missing out on an important item. I'm not sure if that's a glitch in the game, or if it was supposed to be that way.

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#171 Post by Xandarius » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 am

Manannan only automatically gives you a chore at the beginning. He will only give you more chores after that if you disobey him. Feeding him doesn't count as a chore. He asks to be fed every time he returns from a journey or wakes up on his own.

Oldbushie
Knight Status

#172 Post by Oldbushie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 am

Ah, okay, I was wondering about that. I guess I never managed to trigger the other chores then.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#173 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 am

Now, I have these left:

I cleaned a bunch of times in the house, I cleaned a bunch of times on the ship, but no Neat Freak.
I kept the fish, but no Roger Wilco. Do I use it on something? (other than the eagle)