Game Development Features : JP Selwood & Brandon Blume

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

Game Development Features : JP Selwood & Brandon Blume

#1 Post by eriqchang » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:06 pm

If you've been playing the new King's Quest III remake, you've no doubt seen and heard the enchanting magic of both of these skilled artists.

Visit the newly unlocked "Behind the Scenes" pages on the Official King's Quest III website for two brand new features examining the gorgeous art of John Paul Selwood and the powerful music of resident musician Brandon Blume.

Enjoy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

Re: Game Development Features : JP Selwood & Brandon Blume

#2 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm

And I did. Nice job compiling the sections. Brandon's was quiet long but it was good. And I think your work has already surpasses the quality from KQ2+. Funny you didn't mention elements from KQ4 since I'm pretty sure heard it at the ending sequence.

And OMG! The hi-res picture hosted on JP site makes me really wish seeing KQ3 redux in hi-res glory! :D

You guys are so lucky. :)

Relight
Archival Expert

#3 Post by Relight » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:34 pm

JP is a real Sierra artist.

His art is worthy of framing and being in a museum.

If Sierra was still around today, making adventure games, JP would work there.

I could never say enough good things about JP.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:54 pm

JP is indeed a fantastic and infinitely skilled artist. I'm just flabbergasted at his work.
Bobbin Threadbare wrote:And I did. Nice job compiling the sections. Brandon's was quiet long but it was good. And I think your work has already surpasses the quality from KQ2+. Funny you didn't mention elements from KQ4 since I'm pretty sure heard it at the ending sequence.
Sorry about it being a bit wordy :\ . I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. As far as the KQ4 references, I made only one with the Bard's theme (since he's from KQ4). The one at the end was actually made by Tom. I didn't do all the music for the game, but I did most of it (about 90%). Tom did a few additional themes including the introduction video themes and the ending video themes (save for the magic orb sequence, the end song "Coming Home," and the Father sequence after the credits, those were mine).

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:50 pm

And OMG! The hi-res picture hosted on JP site makes me really wish seeing KQ3 redux in hi-res glory!
JP is also the lead artist on Mages Initiation: Reign of the Elements and the game will feature his excellent, King's Quest-style background artwork in high-resolution.

Additionally, Brandon is the Mage's Initiation project musician.

When you're on a good track, best to stick with it! ;)

oberonqa
Peasant Status

#6 Post by oberonqa » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I just have one question before I read the article.... who did Manannan's theme? Because I seriously want to shake that person's hand. It is haunting and beautiful and strikes all the right emotional chords. Absolutely brilliant!

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

That was me. Thank you!That was probably one of the most important themes to get right in the game. Nice to see that I've succeeded to that end.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:55 am

In addition to being a fantastic artist, JP is also one of the nicest, most genuine people I've had the pleasure to talk to. I'm glad he's working really hard on Mages Initiation - his art will really lift that game, and bring that "classic" feel that we all know and love.

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:50 am

I love these featurettes! When will mine be done!?!? :rollin

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Loney Childress » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am

navynuke04 wrote:I love these featurettes! When will mine be done!?!? :rollin
I don't know but you start getting your answers ready. :D

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:20 am

@navynuke04, the first thing I wanted to know are the resemblance of your face with Adoni Maropis or Jackie Earle Haley. And perhaps also possess great athlete figure like Maropis. I see some of his crazy moves during his exercises. ;)

KQartist
The Art-inator

#12 Post by KQartist » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks for putting this feature together, Eriq, and thanks for the compliments everyone! It's been a thrill remaking these classic games, and appreciate the positive reaction to the work involved.

Brandon, the game wouldn't be the same without your beautiful score as well. I was playing the game yesterday, and was reminded once again when I heard your telescope tower theme. :)
And OMG! The hi-res picture hosted on JP site makes me really wish seeing KQ3 redux in hi-res glory! :D
Thanks for the compliments on my site. Hi-res would be awesome, it's just a shame that sprite artwork becomes much more difficult to animate at that size. I did a few hi-res works for KQ3, but Mages has revealed to me that consistently producing work at a higher resolution provides a new challenge I hadn't experienced with these remakes. I'm enjoying the work involved though, and feel more enthusiastic than ever about the development.

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Loney Childress » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 am

It was nice to have a glimpse of what went on behind the scenes. Thanks for the features.

MusicallyInspired

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Your artwork makes the game truly shine, JP! Of course, everyone's involvement was paramount. Everybody just went above and beyond. The whole thing is truly spectacular.