Eagle/spider bug: spoilers

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

Eagle/spider bug: spoilers

#1 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm

So I had an interesting bug occur when I was playing through for a second time. As soon as Man-ann-an left, I made the magic rose essence and headed for the spider. I turned into the eagle south of the screen and flew north. I tried to fly towards the web but I ended up going off to the east. I came back and headed for it again. Nothing happened, then I clicked talk on the web and at the same time Alex said something about being done flying. He landed just to the right of the cave, but he looked like he was climbing nothing. Then the spider came down and an animation of Alex being webbed starting playing just above the spider web, and it started moving off to the right. The narrator did his "you're dead" speech, but no menu came up and the game just hangs now. Here's a screen shot after it's over and the game is still hanging:

The part I circled (badly) in red is where the animation and spider all happened. Hopefully this is helpful. In the meantime, I'll see if I can reproduce the bug!

- Tom

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Eagle/spider bug: spoilers

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 pm

If you manage to reproduce that, could you try to get a savegame of just before it happens every time, and attach it here, or email it to info@AGDInteractive.com

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Sure, I'll give it a shot. It seems to be based on clicking talk on that screen.

EDIT: I managed to reproduce it once. It's hard to do. It seems you have to click talk on the web when you're right about in the correct spot to grab the spider. I'll email you the save, but I can't guarantee you can reproduce it without a bunch of screwing around. I really hope this is helpful.

- Tom

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV9ArgzYUKs

Sorry about the crappy quality and the failed attempt, I'm no good with CamStudio.

The bug itself plays through twice because the first time, the menu pops up. The second time, the audio plays and there is no menu.

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Loney Childress » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 pm

That's a fantastic bug...(is a spider a bug?)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 am

Loney Childress wrote:That's a fantastic bug...(is a spider a bug?)
Informally, yes. If you're thinking insect = bug, then no (arachnid, not insect). And considering the "first bug" of QfG1, I find this to obviously be a meta-referential easter egg and not an error on the part of the game coding. Isn't that right, AGDI folks? :p

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Radogol » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Oh no!

I have never finished the original King's Quest III (although I messed around with it on my Amiga) and am currently playing your remake. I was excited immensely for it, not because it's a new version of an old favorite, but because it's a sequel to one of the best adventure games I've ever played - Romancing the Stones. So far, I am enjoying it more than a lot. However, this segment posed a problem to me.

See, I thought about flying into the cave as an eagle, but after it didn't work, I've started looking for another solution and became stuck.

When Alexaqnder is a fly, he gets stuck to the web upon contact, even if the player hadn't clicked on it directly. As an eagle, I've clicked above the web while being underneath it, but that didn't work. It wasn't obvious to me that one has to click precisely on the center of the web. I would probably keep trying if I knew it was the correct solution (was it in the original?) but I had not.

If you ever make an update, could you please consider activating the cutscene upon contact with the web? Any contact as an eagle I mean. Otherwise, I'm afraid the puzzle might be as much of a stumbling block, especially for newcomers to KQ3, as the fact that Graham has to walk over to the door of destiny in KQ2 to trigger the initial expository conversation.