Yeti Cave Solution (SPOILERS!!)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Mawk
Peasant Status

Yeti Cave Solution (SPOILERS!!)

#1 Post by Mawk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:13 am

Threw together a little map from a screenshot during the credits. Hope it helps, only use it if you're stuck! :)

Fender178
Knight Status

Re: Yeti Cave Solution (SPOILERS!!)

#2 Post by Fender178 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:19 am

Thanks but I figured it out I had to wait for him to show up.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by oversight1979 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks but how do you get there? He chases me into his cave or when I go 2 screens over he is at the same spot. So how do I get passed him?

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by oversight1979 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:33 am

Even with the cave map I am still stuck. Map doesn't make sence.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by oversight1979 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:56 am

1 person said to wait for the Yeti to show up. Why in the world would you do that, unless you enjoy being caught and dieing?

Eld
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Eld » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 am

oversight1979 wrote:Even with the cave map I am still stuck. Map doesn't make sence.
So - go back to your adventure gaming routes. Write down the pattern yourself.

Hint: every cave entrance has two paths that never change. If you know where they all lead, you'll avoid the Yeti. If you can't get to that part, you need to figure out how to get past the Yeti -- a couple ways to do it. Look in your inventory and pay close attention to your surroundings.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#7 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:25 am

oversight1979 wrote:1 person said to wait for the Yeti to show up. Why in the world would you do that, unless you enjoy being caught and dieing?
Because the yeti opens the exit to the screen. You cannot get past the tunnels until the yeti does this.

Shalkar
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Shalkar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Which cave is the exit? I went through all the caves. I'm stumped

Lambonius
Knight Status

#9 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Shalkar wrote:Which cave is the exit? I went through all the caves. I'm stumped
None of them. You have to let the yeti chase you around for a bit, and he will break the exit open.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 pm

The yeti is scripted to appear after you've reached the bottom-right cave for the second time. (hmmm....or was it the third time?) Anyway, enough to map out the entire system for yourself. So just keep switching caves until he appears. Then you just avoid entering the tunnel that leads you right into his hands.

Interesting tidbit: originally this puzzle wasn't planned. We had the original climb-carefully-or-die puzzle there, but when JP drew and posted the present screen, I realized the new layout was incompatible with the original situation. Climbing across the wall wouldn't look realistic anymore. I didn't have the heart to tell JP to scratch his work and start from square 0, so we brainstormed a bit for a new puzzle. Daniel suggested just making it an automated (and somewhat funny) sequence where Alex would just automatically wander the caves (kinda like the yeti is doing in the outro) and eventually find the right exit himself. (kinda unlike the yeti is doing in the outro) Sean threw the random idea of a Scooby Doo easter egg into the mix (since Scooby Doo chases tended to take place in "magical hallways" kinda like the honeycomb cliff) and I came up with the idea of a puzzle that made Alex the Scooby and the yeti the disguised-villain-of-the-week. You never know how much old cartoon nostalgica can come in handy.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#11 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I though this was a great sequence in the game. I love the logic behind coming up with this puzzle. Great stuff.