KQ3Redux works in Wine in Ubuntu 10.04

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

SabreWolfy
Peasant Status

KQ3Redux works in Wine in Ubuntu 10.04

#1 Post by SabreWolfy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 am

I have a Quad Core computer with a 23" wide-screen monitor. I installed KQ3 in Windows XP and started playing. I used DirectDraw 5, Smooth scaled sprites and Hq3x in a window, which looks great.

However, I use Ubuntu Linux (10.04) most of the time. I installed wine 1.2 in Ubuntu and then installed KQ3Redux. It installed and ran without any problems. I copied my saved games from the Windows XP installation into the wine installation and can continue playing.

Performance in wine was slow using the Hq2x or Hq3x setting (even when Game Speed was set to the maximum). The 3x nearest-neighbour filter with DirectDraw 5 was also quite slow. The Direct3D 9 setting with 3x or 4x filters gave much better game performance. The anti-aliasing filters gave better-looking graphics than the nearest-neighbor filters.

Anyway, it's really great to be able to play in Ubuntu and to have so many graphics settings so that the graphical look can be optimized. Music and speech worked perfectly in wine.

W5WMW
Peasant Status

AGD games for Linux

#2 Post by W5WMW » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Please tell me that AGD is working on fully Linux versions of their games. Please!

Please?

SabreWolfy
Peasant Status

Re: KQ3Redux works in Wine in Ubuntu 10.04

#3 Post by SabreWolfy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 am

Not as far as I understand it. I read an FAQ a while ago where they said that Linux and Mac games will not be supported. Having said that, they have released a Mac version of KQ3Redux I think. However, running the KQ3Redux in wine is actually working fine.