Gate Puzzle

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Shalkar
Peasant Status

Gate Puzzle

#1 Post by Shalkar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 am

Hi. This is a really hard puzzle. lol. I mean I read the map an trying to figure out which animal goes where. The 2nd one seems easy. The lay part.

Can someone just help with this :). I am loving this game. The game is different but cool :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: Gate Puzzle

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 am

Whose gate is it?

Note the first letter in each animal's name.

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#3 Post by MartijnF » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Shalkar wrote:Hi. This is a really hard puzzle. lol.
It really isn't that hard.

JohnWWells
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by JohnWWells » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I thought it was easy if you've played adventure games - I got it on the first shot - but hard if you aren't aware of this kind of acrostic-name thinking. Especially since the names of the animals are only written on tooltips that Alex can't really see. Did the builders of the ruins expect the solver to be able to distinguish a rat from a mouse? Or a snake from an adder? For that matter, how did they know the words for these animals wouldn't change over time?

But these are nitpicks. This is a puzzle very much in the spirit of the Sierra games.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Did the builders of the ruins expect the solver to be able to distinguish a rat from a mouse? Or a snake from an adder? For that matter, how did they know the words for these animals wouldn't change over time?
Sometimes puzzles are just puzzles and that kind of meta-thinking should be prevented by the willing suspension of disbelief that's expected of the player.