Things I would have loved to see in this version...

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lambonius
Knight Status

Things I would have loved to see in this version...

#1 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Two that came to mind during my first playthrough were:

1) An in-game way to make a list of ingredients so that you don't have to physically write them down by hand. The first thing I tried to do was click the journal on the spellbook, because I thought maybe Gwydion would write the ingredients down in a list. Without the written manual to be able to consult at will, it's hard to remember everything you need to find unless you make a list. Having Gwydion do it in game would have been a nice touch.

2) I understand this one would piss off many players, especially those who want to suck on their pacifier and play the game exactly as they remember the old version and not solve any new puzzles, but I'd have loved it if Gwydion had to read the spellbook BEFORE he could collect any of the more esoteric ingredients. For example, logically, it's really strange for Gwydion to pick up a dead fly and just pull off its wings, unless he specifically knows he needs them. Just a thought.

Anyway, those are nitpicks, but I thought I'd post and see if anyone else had similar ideas.

I really love this remake. I think it has some of the best production values of any of your games yet.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Things I would have loved to see in this version...

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 pm

2) I understand this one would piss off many players, especially those who want to suck on their pacifier and play the game exactly as they remember the old version and not solve any new puzzles, but I'd have loved it if Gwydion had to read the spellbook BEFORE he could collect any of the more esoteric ingredients. For example, logically, it's really strange for Gwydion to pick up a dead fly and just pull off its wings, unless he specifically knows he needs them. Just a thought.
When IA's KQ3 came out, most of the design decisions featured in KQ3 Redux (color-coded timer, ability to sleep, bed-hiding system, cutscenes, story structure and spell creation) were already thought out and scripted, so even though I played IA's version a day or two after its release, I pride myself on the fact that KQ3 Redux came from our own minds and wasn't forged partially through an in-depth analysis of IA's game. There's one exception though...after seeing people complain about the fact you had to read the spellbook before being able to pluck the cat, I decided to eliminate that knowledge flag in our version. This is reinforced by the fact that our version forces the player to visit Llewdor before he can even enter the lab, so I figured people would be really frustrated if they couldn't pick up a single ingredient during their first trip into the countryside.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah, we got a LOT of crap about the "knowledge flag" when our 1st version was released, so much so that we took it out for ver 2.0. Though I like it and think it adds dimension to the playing, a lot of people got angry.

Personally, I don't even think Gwydion should be literate, as well. Why would the wizard bother to teach him to read?

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Knowledge flags can be used to limit sequence breaking, though with remakes, it's almost guaranteed people will bump into these kinds of barriers.

And I hear you with the reading thing. The KQ companion (despite its occasionally outlandish explanations) had the fairly believable suggestion that it allowed the wizard to keep Gwydion busy when he wasn't doing his chores, but that still comes with fact that an illiterate slave would never be able to work with spellbooks.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by rugged » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I agree that certain ingrediants should have been knowledge flagged.The most obvious one being the fly wings.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#6 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Yeah, I don't think it would work with every ingredient...there are some things that it would be natural to just pick up, seeing as it is an adventure game and all. It's really the things like the fly wings, where Gwydion not only picks up the dead fly, but already knows specifically what to do with it (pull off the wings.) :) One way around this would be to not allow the cat & fly cutscene to happen until after Gwydion reads the spellbook for the first time. Another good idea would be to make the player physically click the hand icon on the dead fly in the inventory to pull off its wings. That way, it just matters if the PLAYER already knows what to do with it, rather than Gwydion the character (which is the illogical part.)

It's just one of those things were the added storytelling dimensions of the remake highlight the illogical nature of Gwydion already knowing what to do without having read the spellbook. Honestly, the same issue is present in the original game--it just stands out more in the remake because of the other steps towards greater realism.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Which, I think, will still not prevent players from howling out loud if we changed it, so I think we won't.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#8 Post by Lambonius » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Erpy wrote:Which, I think, will still not prevent players from howling out loud if we changed it, so I think we won't.

Oh, I'm not saying you SHOULD change it; I just meant this to be one of those speculative "wouldn't it be cool if" threads. Don't take any of this stuff as actual complaints. :)