Post-game thoughts

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lorem Ipsum
Peasant Status

Post-game thoughts

#1 Post by Lorem Ipsum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Well, to be honest, I believe most of the thoughts expressed here accumulated in my mind way before finishing the game, but still. :)

As a long-time site lurker and a very rare and occasional forum-lurker, I couldn't help myself but going out of the shadows for expressing a big, big THANK YOU. Although familiar with your previous KQ remakes and visiting AGD's site every so often, it happened that I learned about the remake only about two days before it was released - so I didn't share most of the regulars' full-month-anticipation, but merely had an intense less-than-a-week or so between first hearing about it, going again through KQ2+ to refresh my memory as to your work and going through completely finishing KQ3r, roughly 10 minutes ago.

The work invested in this is simply astounding, both on the technical side - which is what many think of initially when hearing about a "remake", expecting a "facelift" - and the development of the story, which is anything but trivial to expect. The manner in which the team has dealt with taking the KQ1/2+/3r continuity development, asserting it from an idea first expressed in KQ6, is nothing short of developing a full-scale epic to the KQ gaming experience, much more than anything previously attempted by narrative explanations.

This is a really wonderful way to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the original.

If I should choose one comment I would like to hear about it, that would be Roberta Williams' reactions after playing this version.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
:)

-- L. Ipsum

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: Post-game thoughts

#2 Post by Solarkid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 am

I dunno what it is but i coulda sworn i've seen someone with your forum handle on here before.

Anyways, i agree, sweet game!

foxhedgehog
Peasant Status

#3 Post by foxhedgehog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 am

hey, just finished my first run-through of the game, wanted to echo the sentiments in this thread

very impressive remake, enjoy that you added a lot to the original version

great job, guys

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 am

Thanks, gentlemen! It's always great to hear such feedback and I'm pleasantly surprised that most of it has positive for this game. Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed playing it. :)

bokkers
Peasant Status

#5 Post by bokkers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 am

Have to express my gratitude as well. Every little detail of the game is just done incredibly beautiful. From the great and very atmospheric musical score to all the beautiful graphics, and it all adds together to an incredibly rewarding gaming experience that is much more than the sum of its parts. Comparing this new version to the original it's just wonderful to see how the designers enhanced what was already there, into a game that just has brilliance written all over it. For example the conversations between the animals were just awesome! Also loved the new puzzles and locations.

Thanks for making this!

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Xandarius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 am

Before KQ3r was released, I felt that KQ2+ was the best Sierra-style adventure game created. KQ3r is perhaps its equal. I've played throught the game 4 times already, and I look forward to playing it again. I couldn't help but notice that the production values are even higher in KQ3r than they were in KQ2+, particularly in the speech recordings. There're none of the background noises or overly wet effects I was more than willing to put up with in KQ2+. The acting is a step up (particularly for Alexander, the Behrs, and the barmaid, I feel). Also, the soundtrack is particularly incredible.

I liked the rewrite of Medusa's involvement in the game. In fact, I think I had got a feel for ADGI's writing style enough that I was able to predict that approaching her would yield a different result from the the original game. Well done.

On another note, I would like to urge anyone who hasn't tried IA's remake to download it and play it. I prefer Redux by far, but IA's game has some pretty neat music and artwork too, and it's truer to the original game.

Firestorm_Mon_Dae
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Firestorm_Mon_Dae » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 pm

I've played through the game. I'd like to express my post-game thoughts and feelings as well...

The beginning part was more or less how I expected it to be, completely brilliant. It was nice to see that you couldn't just make the cat spell and defeat Manannan immediately. It was great that you had to make other spells before achieving this goal. This in itself made the beginning part of the game the best experience it could possibly be.

But this wasn't the only thing that made the beginning so amazing. The way the Oracle was dealt with, the expansion of the Medusa character, the extended part of the town, the greater interaction with the characters, all of these elements added something unique and special to the game. Admittedly, it would have been nice to have to work harder to get some of the more easily found spell ingredients, but the spell casting part of the game made up for it by far. I especially liked what happens when you mess up a spell! Also, with the addition of the water jug, I half expected to end up exploring deeper into the desert to find and explore some mysterious temple, oasis, or something of the like. Fortunately, that didn't happen, or I never would have had the opportunity to see the jackals chasing the Saurus. It was a very humorous Easter egg.

The way the timer was dealt with was one of the most clever and creative additions to the game! The only thing that could have possibly added to this was if there was a day/night cycle.That being said, it wasn't necessary to the game, though I thought you could only pull mandrake root out of the ground at midnight.... The music that played when Manannan appeared was both terrifying and beautiful. I still jumped despite the fact that I knew he was going to appear! Speaking of music, the music throughout the entire game set the atmosphere of every scene beautifully. Then again, so did the graphics. Both graphics and music are at a level that far surpasses that of even some professionally made games!

The only thing that was annoying about the beginning of the game was the fact that it is not obvious that you have to enter the town library. When I encountered it for the first time, I figured that I'd need some sort of spell before I could enter it. Once I knew that that was where I had to go, the rest of the game played out completely naturally.

I think the treasure island was the best part of the game. It's puzzles really got my mind going into overdrive! The gate was most clever indeed! The fact that Alexander can't swim and the way that he has to escape from the pirate ship was a clever change from the original game. It would have been nice to talk to the rats though, before they were put to sleep (as far as I know, there is no opportunity to listen to the rats)....

The events involving the abominable snowman were both crafty and clever! I liked how there were two ways that you could escape from him initially. The cave puzzle was tricky, but humorous! The animals on the mountain were a neat little addition that really made the area seem like a snowy wonderland. The little cameo appearance at the beginning was unexpected but humorous.

The atmosphere and music after arriving at Daventry really set up everything for an amazing confrontation with the three headed dragon. It was chilling, terrible, and beautiful to behold. Sadly, I felt that defeating the dragon was too easy and somewhat anticlimactic.... Furthermore, the few obstacles at the end of the game seemed somewhat out of place once the dragon was defeated. It would have been amazing if the dragon was chasing you, forcing you to brave these obstacles as quickly as possible. For that matter, getting so close to home and suddenly finding that the dragon wasn't as dead as you thought would have been an interesting twist, especially since nobody would be expecting it. Well, my fantasizing aside, the dragon really needed something else, something to make it just that little bit more challenging to defeat, because even though it was drawn terrifyingly well, the ease by which it can be defeated made it seem far less terrifying than it should have been.

The chance to talk to Rosella and the little conversations along the way were an excellent addition to the ending. The encounter with The Father was also a clever little addition. The ending itself seemed a bit forced at places, but was still very well done, though I did feel that the green pinball was a bit cheesy.... The rest of the ending credits were both clever and well done. The behrs, Medusa, Manannan as a cat, the father (only heard about it, have to play through it again to see...), all of it added something unique and special to ending. The secret awards section was also a very clever addition, giving the game some amazing replay value.

As far as The Father plot goes, his presence wasn't as pronounced in this game as in Romancing the Stones. Admittedly, he wasn't a central figure in Alexander's escape, and probably wasn't that interested either. Still, it would have been nice to see his presence and influence more clearly in the game. I'm sure that The Father has enemies, and maybe even rivals for the power of the First King. It would be neat to see a greater presence in King's Quest IV (if by some miracle you get a chance to remake it). It would be especially neat to have The Father manipulating things behind the scenes again, or even doing things personally, or who knows! There are just so many possibilities! It's exciting just to think about it! It would be neat if he has a rival that he manipulates Rosella into defeating said rival, or if he needs something and manipulates the situation so he can get it....

Before I let my imagination wander too much, I feel that the user interface deserves honorable mention. The redesign was a stroke of genius. It gave the game that extra little something, that little bit of polish that truly defined this game as a masterpiece. It would be really neat to see something like that done for King's Quest I and King's Quest II....

I think I've expressed everything that I wanted to, with the exception of two points:

My final thoughts on the game: Absolutely astounding!

To everyone who worked on King's Quest III Redux, 'Thank you'.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by goatmeal » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 am

Firestorm_Mon_Dae wrote: It would have been nice to talk to the rats though, before they were put to sleep (as far as I know, there is no opportunity to listen to the rats)....
You should be able to listen to the rats before you put the pirates to sleep; they are at the front of the ship in the cargo hold, on the screen where you found the small box/crate.

One of the rats mentioned that the pirates were thinking of bringing a cat on board to take care of the rodent problem...

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:06 am

If I recall correctly, the rats show up at random. If they aren't there, walk back and forth between the two cargo hold screens and they'll eventually show up.

EnvisagedOne
Peasant Status

#10 Post by EnvisagedOne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:20 am

I totally agree with Firestorm_Mon_Dae's review of the game. I thought it was great. I loved the changes/additions. When I finally completed the game (with a perfect score), I wished it had been longer and had more twists in it. Similar to KQ2+. But I certainly appreciate what we got. I also agree that facing the dragon felt to quick. It was just like the original KQ3, and I thought, if anything, that should have been a part that was expanded and made more complex. I just felt like the ending was rushed a bit. It's a nit-picky thing, but I woulda liked to have more involved in the climax of the game.

I think the voice acting sounded very professional. Esp Mannan's voice. It sounded exactly the way I woulda imagined him sounding. The music was perfect all through out and I enjoyed just kicking back in some parts to just listen to it. Graphics, of course, were great and I was quite amazed in several parts to see how far AGDI has come to improving there craft. Now I wanna go back and replay the AGDI versions of KQ1 & KQ2 :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#11 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 am

You should go back and replay them. We recently released new versions that contain updated graphics. The artists that worked on KQ3 are the ones that touched up the first two.