More newbie questions :-)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Laura
Peasant Status

More newbie questions :-)

#1 Post by Laura » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:29 am

I'd never played any version of KQ3 before this and only a little of other original KQs, like with friends here and there way back when. It took me (don't laugh!) 9 trips away from the Wizard, and I didn't find the magic map til about halfway through LOL. Total play time of just over 4 hours. But I got hit pretty hard by the Fly Wing Woes glitch and had to look on Youtube for an answer. :cry Otherwise I solved it myself. :D

So not knowing much about KQ beyond your 3 remakes, I was wondering: What was the wizard's deal with Llewdor? What was the threat to him that he had to spy on the people? I kept thinking this would be revealed at some point...

Also what was that blue frog thing and who was the fisherman? Easter eggs? Or did I miss doing something with them?

Anyway, really awesome game! Everything was great - art, music, sound, writing, etc. (Only one little thing jarred me as ill-fitting, Rosella's voice sounded too much like a professional spokesmodel or animated Barbie rather than a young woman who just narrowly escaped being burned alive. :eek ) Puzzles were all enjoyable and rational, spellcasting was fun, and the user interface was ideal. Thanks very much for this incredible work and especially thanks for doing a Mac version.

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: More newbie questions :-)

#2 Post by Solarkid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

Since you made a suitable thread im just gonna ask this here, who is the weird darkrobed guy at the end? He just said a few mysterious lines and then told me to p*** off

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by oversight1979 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 am

The man you speak of? I think he's The Father. But I could be wrong.

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Loney Childress » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 am

Have you played KQ2+ from AGDI?

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:11 am

How is it that people play KQ3R, but not KQ1VGA or KQ2+?

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#6 Post by MartijnF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 am

Chyron_8472 wrote:How is it that people play KQ3R, but not KQ1VGA or KQ2+?
Because the original KQ3 is a much better game than the original KQ1 and 2 combined.

[edit] Also, I had never heard of KQ2+ before KQ3R was released :o

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 am

Yeah, but I still expected people to play KQ2+ in preparation for KQ3 Redux, just to refresh their memories.
So not knowing much about KQ beyond your 3 remakes, I was wondering: What was the wizard's deal with Llewdor? What was the threat to him that he had to spy on the people? I kept thinking this would be revealed at some point...
Manannan is just a control freak. He likes to dominate people less powerful than himself. He's more than a little bit of a misantrope.
Also what was that blue frog thing and who was the fisherman? Easter eggs? Or did I miss doing something with them?
Easter eggs. The blue frog is a reference to Quest for Glory 2, where it was the key to the debug mode in both versions.
Anyway, really awesome game! Everything was great - art, music, sound, writing, etc. (Only one little thing jarred me as ill-fitting, Rosella's voice sounded too much like a professional spokesmodel or animated Barbie rather than a young woman who just narrowly escaped being burned alive. )
Tastes differ. Rosella's performance was one of my personal favourites. She was played by a very experienced voice actress and I thought she nailed the inflection just right in every line she spoke.

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#8 Post by MartijnF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:01 am

Erpy wrote:Yeah, but I still expected people to play KQ2+ in preparation for KQ3 Redux, just to refresh their memories.
As I remember it, KQ2 was really much more of a sequel to KQ1 than KQ3 was to KQ2. And besides, I don't think the original KQ1 and 2 are really that good to be honest. KQ3 is however completely awesome, so when I learned of KQ3R, I immediately jumped in started playing that, without giving much attention to the previous games (or remakes) :o

Now that I've finished KQ3R, I am checking out KQ2+ though.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 am

KQ2+ is a completely different adventure altogether, with a coherant plot, no dead ends and...well...a lot creative liberty taken. Whether this adds to the overall adventuring experience or takes away from it depends on whose opinion you ask. :)

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#10 Post by MartijnF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 am

I know this now, but not when I started playing KQ3R :)

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by Xandarius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 am

Martijn, do yourself a favor and play KQ2+. It's worlds apart from the original King's Quest 2. It's one of the best adventure games ever made now.