Ways to dead end your game.

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

Ways to dead end your game.

#1 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:44 pm

I played IA's KQ3 the day before KQ3R came out. Somehow, as a result of restoring game saves and not keeping track of what I needed to do again, I ended up on Daventry without the invisibility potion thus dead-ending my game.

Having read posts in this forum, I've become aware that the pirates would only appear after you have already made all the mandatory potions, so you can't dead-end that way. I do already know that giving the meat to Manannan instead of the eagle will dead-end, since I already did this to myself.

This makes me wonder what other ways there are in which one can dead-end a game in KQ3R. Keep in mind that I've beat the game already so I'm just curious.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

Re: Ways to dead end your game.

#2 Post by Radogol » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Chyron_8472 wrote: I do already know that giving the meat to Manannan instead of the eagle will dead-end, since I already did this to myself.
That's not a dead end. There are none, as long as you don't make save the game with not enough time to return home and/or hide forbidden items.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

You're saying that the meat respawns if you give it to Manannan instead? I know the porridge respawns.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm

No, but there's another item you can give to the eagle instead of the meat.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I usually just give Manannan the apple, and then I sit down and eat the meat in front of him. :D

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Well I do know of this "other" food you can give Mannannan, which can be found near some establishment. What I haven't tried is to give this "food" to Mannannan as well as the meat itself. And since the state of this "other" food are raw, do you think Manannan would still eat it?

@DrJones: I'm afraid you cannot do that. The minute Gwydion sat down next to him will resulted in Gwydion punishment. I accidently discovered that because wrong press of mouse button at wrong point. :lol
Last edited by Bobbin Threadbare on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Radogol » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:Well I do know of this "other" food you can give Mannannan, which can be found near some establishment. What I haven't tried is to give this "food" to Mannannan as well as the meat itself. And since the state of this "other" food are raw, do you think Manannan would still eat it?
It's a forbidden item, so... ;)

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Yes, yes... I realize which food you're talking about. No, I haven't tried that yet.

No dead-ends, huh? Nice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Oh yeah. Now that you mention it... :lol

Weird the fish mark as forbidden. Must be because Mannannan will discover Gwydion has been outside the mountain which he's already objects him in the first place. >D

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#10 Post by MartijnF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:29 pm

But the porridge also comes from outside.

It's weird anyway that Mannannan will zap you for not having any food for him, but also doesn't provide ingredients for you to work with or allow you to gather food.

You wonder how Gwydion kept this up for 17 years :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm

There's actually foodstuffs in the barrels in the kitchen, so I think Manannan simply expects Gwydion to prepare him meals. I think due to the fact porridge could probably be created from the foodstuffs available in the mansion, Manannan isn't suspicious of the porridge. That fish, on the other hand, probably isn't easy to explain.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 am

Erpy wrote:There's actually foodstuffs in the barrels in the kitchen, so I think Manannan simply expects Gwydion to prepare him meals. I think due to the fact porridge could probably be created from the foodstuffs available in the mansion, Manannan isn't suspicious of the porridge. That fish, on the other hand, probably isn't easy to explain.
Good thing Manannan didn't ask for Baked Alaska! Considering how much he ate, I think he needed to go to the doctor and get checked out for worms. :)

Loney Childress
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Loney Childress » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:44 am

When I first played the game I was thinking 'I wonder if there's any arsenic around?' while getting Mannanan food. :evil

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 am

Loney Childress wrote:When I first played the game I was thinking 'I wonder if there's any arsenic around?' while getting Mannanan food. :evil
No, but I'd bet there's some old lace somewhere in the house. :lol

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 am

Well, just collect some grimes on every corner of the house combined with chicken poo and mixed it with the porridge. That'll gonna give him hell on his tummy. :rollin