About the map

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

chucklas
Peasant Status

About the map

#1 Post by chucklas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

As you play, different areas become available via the map. It is my assumption that when someone grabs the map for the first time the map goes blank and fills in as they explore the areas. If this were not the case, then it could be said that the map either a) had never been used or b) could be erased.

So, here is my question. How is it that the pirate can see the places on the map and use it even though he had never been in possession of it previously? Or, could it be that he took the map from Alexander on the pier and thus only the pier was visible on the map (although he recognizes the map as LLewendor).

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

Re: About the map

#2 Post by Chyron_8472 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Perhaps the map fills in places that you're personally familiar with, rather than places you've taken it to. The pirate may have been to various places in Llewdor before and knows what the area looks like, while Gwydion has never been to these places in person, only ever having looked at them from the telescope.

chucklas
Peasant Status

#3 Post by chucklas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Chyron_8472 wrote:Perhaps the map fills in places that you're personally familiar with, rather than places you've taken it to. The pirate may have been to various places in Llewdor before and knows what the area looks like, while Gwydion has never been to these places in person, only ever having looked at them from the telescope.
Not a bad thought. I am not usually so picky on things. It just seemed the pirate disappearing was a bit of a stretch for me.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#4 Post by El Ravager » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Perhaps the map fills in places that you're personally familiar with, rather than places you've taken it to. The pirate may have been to various places in Llewdor before and knows what the area looks like, while Gwydion has never been to these places in person, only ever having looked at them from the telescope.
Good theory, but I don't think it works. I didn't get the map until after I'd already thoroughly explored Llewdor, and quite a few places were still inaccessible until I took the map there.

MartijnF
Peasant Status

#5 Post by MartijnF » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Or... the pirate disappearing is just good fun and it doesn't necessarily fully comply with the logic of how the map works.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:11 pm

You guys are dangerously close to ruining a perfectly good scene.

chucklas
Peasant Status

#7 Post by chucklas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Erpy wrote:You guys are dangerously close to ruining a perfectly good scene.

Sorry Erpy. Not my intention. The scene was already ruined for me and I wanted to make it better in my head. To make things work....

The pirate took the map from Alexander before they left Llewendor. He had the map in his possession and did a few last things there before the ship left. This is why he can read the map. I hope that helps. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Hehe. I think you're reading into it too much. It's just supposed to be funny. It's not like it's important to the plot.

No pun intended.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Thing is, it's not important. The magic map you get in KQ6 allows you to travel to various islands without the need to have visited those manually.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Manannan probably just wiped the map when he last placed it back in his closet, as a preventative measure. That way if his slave finds it, there's a chance he might think it's only a blank piece of paper.

Actually, I don't even know why Manannan would need the magic map, since he can teleport around in a puff of smoke. Maybe he acquired the map long before he obtained his current teleportation spell and has forgotten he even owns it. If that's the case, the map's magical locations could have also faded over the years.

When the First Mate Pirate obtains the map, it still has all the locations Alexander placed on it. In the AGI game, Manannan can teleport long distance ONTO the ship if you don't pussify him before leaving Llewdor. So it makes sense that the First Mate could be sent the same distance BACK to Llewdor, too. :)

El Ravager
Knight Status

#11 Post by El Ravager » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm

That explanation works for me. Good point about a magical teleportation map being something of a redundancy for Manannan, given his teleportation ability. Maybe the map is left over from the days before he learned how to do that (presumably, it constitutes some pretty advanced spellcasting).

Thanks for dissolving the cognitive dissonance.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#12 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:In the AGI game, Manannan can teleport long distance ONTO the ship if you don't pussify him before leaving Llewdor. So it makes sense that the First Mate could be sent the same distance BACK to Llewdor, too. :)
I think I've just discovered why the pirate ship section on the AGI game requires you to watch paint dry for fifteen minutes. The wait is there so that Manannan has enough time to find you if you don't deal with him!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 pm

That might very well have been one of the reasons, yes.