So how did you guys manage to snag a Hollywood actor?

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

So how did you guys manage to snag a Hollywood actor?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm

To play Gwydions/Prince Alexander's voice? Was he a fan of the series at all?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: So how did you guys manage to snag a Hollywood actor?

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm

He is a fan of the series and of AGDI. He volunteered his talents a long while back and when we approached him later, he was still willing to help out. An awesome guy.

I understand he registered on the forums and has been one of the people asking for hints. I'll let you speculate as to who it may be. ;)

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Well I must say so far I am thoroughly enjoying him as Gwydion/Alexander, but so far he's not as talkative as I'd hoped. The narrator seems to be the most prominent voice in the whole game...so far. One of the reasons I liked Alexander so much in KQ6 was how often he conversed with the other characters and inhabitants. The narrator was sort of a constant entity in the game but Alexander still managed to think out loud and such. I felt the same way about the Gwydion in IA's remake.

That's my only gripe...so far.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Actually, Rosella is a Hollywood based actress as well. Sometimes you just have to ask the people you think will say no... because sometimes they'll say yes.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 pm

So who is the actress who voices Rosella if you don't mind me asking so?

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Radogol » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:14 pm

FatherGhostface wrote:So who is the actress who voices Rosella if you don't mind me asking so?
AGC2 definitely won't mind, but Screen Actors Guild might... ;)

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Why? Would they consider it...'beneath' an actress to voice a character in a free online adventure game? Did she wish to remain annonymous or something?

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Radogol » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

FatherGhostface wrote:Why? Would they consider it...'beneath' an actress to voice a character in a free online adventure game? Did she wish to remain annonymous or something?
A SAG member can't take a role if certain conditions haven't been met, including financial ones.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Ahhhh I see. That's understandable, but may I ask if the actress in question is a house hold name?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm virtually certain I know who she is (as I pointed out before) but I'm keeping my mouth shut since that's what she requested.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I really wish we could have credited her. She's a very talented voice actress, and she's been in quite a few high profile things, but she doesn't seem to get all that much work anymore. And most the work she does get offered, she can't accept because of SAG's restrictions.

I almost convinced her to go Financial-Core, so that she could work both SAG and non-union jobs and be paid for it (as allowed by Federal Law), but SAG have most of their actors pretty fearful about falling out of line. You only have to look at how they treated Jon Voight when he considered going Fi-Core.

http://www.ficore.com

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#12 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 pm

So SAG has no problem with Robert Adamson voicing Alexander or was he paid to do that?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#13 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't really want to get into the specifics of what was arranged with certain actors, because I'm not sure that they'd appreciate it. So you'll need to use your imagination. ;)

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Okay I'll let this die then. I apologize for prying (both to you and to the actors, especially if they're reading this).

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

SAG was created to help protect performer's rights, and to that end it's very effective - they can get paid a decent wage, get health benefits and other benefits that working men (and women!) deserve. But, however, sometimes the rules get in the way of small, independent or passion projects. Such is life.

It's very cool that professional actors would do a project like this, mostly because it's borne out of passion.

Oh, and as to speculation? HE'S DEFINITELY OVERSIGHT1979!

Bt

Lambonius
Knight Status

#16 Post by Lambonius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 am

Blackthorne519 wrote:Oh, and as to speculation? HE'S DEFINITELY OVERSIGHT1979!

Bt

HAHAHA! :rollin

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 am

I'm impressed with the voice acting in the game. The person who did Gwydion's voice is fairly close to the voice done in KQ6. Or at least close enough that there isn't THAT drastic of a difference (say, Gilbert Gottfried vs. James Earl Jones).

One person didn't care for Manannan's voice, but I liked it. Perhaps not a deep, resonating, evil voice, but still a good match for a scratchy, old man's voice.

Lambonius
Knight Status

#18 Post by Lambonius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:51 am

edenwaith wrote:One person didn't care for Manannan's voice, but I liked it. Perhaps not a deep, resonating, evil voice, but still a good match for a scratchy, old man's voice.
That may have been me, though I don't think I mentioned that on this board. Yeah, I thought Manannan's voice left a little to be desired. It just seemed very snakelike to me, and not nearly as commanding and ominous a presence as the way the character is presented in the original game. This version of Manannan works decently enough here, it's just a far cry different than how I'd always imagined it. Honestly I just thought he sounded a little too weak...not powerful enough. But anyway, it's a nitpick, to be sure.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#19 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 am

The biggest problem with SAG is that for any actor who has a speaking role in a SAG signatory project, they'll try to get them to join the union within 30 days - a process they refer to "Taft Hartley". It doesn't matter whether the actor is a US citizen or not; this means they can never work on any films or projects anywhere in the world (not even in their home country) unless the project is a SAG signatory. SAG doesn't benefit the small actor; it really just minimizes the number of jobs they'll get. There's not much point in having benefits if your union cripples job security to the point where you can never find work because you're forbidden from working on projects you're passionate about. Actors don't want to be caught up in all that bullshit, they just want to act.

What SAG fails to understand is that people should be free to follow their own path to success in life - whatever they believe that is. If someone willingly wants to accept below minimum wage on a non-union job, that's their choice and their prerogative and SAG really has no business interfering in that. They treat their actors like they are too stupid to take personal responsibility for their career decisions. Union actors still have bills to pay, they have to eat, they have families to support; who are SAG to demand that they cannot work certain jobs, when everybody's financial needs and career aspirations are different? No other union I'm aware of tries to enforce these kinds of draconian rules on its members. That's the reason Financial Core status is protected by law.

Some actors will be willing to only adhere to SAG rules and minimum wage stipulations. But there are others who don't need the union to hold their hand every step of the way and micromanage their career for them. If they want to negotiate their own wages on non-union contracts, why should there be a problem with that? The only fathomable reason is because it causes SAG to lose some control over the industry. And we just can't have a powerful entity losing control over something...

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#20 Post by DrJones » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 am

I thought these laws were specifically changed so that Peter Jackson could still shoot The Hobbit in Australia, but I don't know the specifics. By the way, they start shooting the film this month.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#21 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:48 am

I'm just glad the moose isn't a member of SAG. If he was, our production costs could have sky rocketed. :lol

* raise you hand if you understand what I'm talking about ;) *

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#22 Post by Klytos » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 pm

DrJones wrote:I thought these laws were specifically changed so that Peter Jackson could still shoot The Hobbit in Australia, but I don't know the specifics. By the way, they start shooting the film this month.
I'm pretty he's shooting in New Zealand the same as the LOTR trilogy.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

navynuke04 wrote:I'm just glad the moose isn't a member of SAG. If he was, our production costs could have sky rocketed. :lol

I noticed the moose wasn't part of Sierra's prop department. Hopefully that famous Sierra moose went on to find work elsewhere.

Nei
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Nei » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm

I really liked the voices in the game. I was so surprised when Gwydion started singing in that mandolin segment! He has such a sweet voice! :o

Fien
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Fien » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 am

navynuke04 wrote:I'm just glad the moose isn't a member of SAG. If he was, our production costs could have sky rocketed. :lol

I do now, not in my first playthrough though. Gave me a shock when he started talking to me when he hadn't done that before. I was unable to reproduce it. Is it a random occurrence or was it something I did?