I've just completed the game with 205 points. I LOVE YOU!

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

I've just completed the game with 205 points. I LOVE YOU!

#1 Post by calvinfoo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

It's been longer than I can remember how much I missed good old adventure games that used to be. King's Quest is easily one of my fav game. I even bought the entire King's Quest series from Ebay as my collection.

I don't know what to say, but i really really really x 1000 appreciate and big thank you to all the people who did all the King's Quest Remake including this one. It is not only just an update, it is also fixed many of the KQ3's problems in the original. Typing the spells in KQ3 is really really troublesome, and the revised mouse click system really awesome.

The ending is amazing, simply one of the best endings I've ever seen. I almost cried when I watched this ending. It is so touching. I never had such feeling on any games ending, this is is really the first one.

I also love the way you make it to follow KQ6-ish system and interface. awesome.

In the classic KQ3, I remember that I can type "KICK CAT" and the cat actually screams then run away, and Alexander started to laugh, but I can't do that in this.

I really love the voice of all the animals. Chicken especially, lizzards, snakes... simply awesome, the way the animal speaks english, it is so hilarious. But I am dissapointed with Alexander's voice. it is so scripted... no feeling at all... like a robot.

The ending credits, with various recap of scenes, you guys even include an Ending Theme! I really can't believe that! Super Cool! reminds me of KQ6's Girl in the Tower. Super-super-super awesome... I have to stop here, else I will not stop praising how awesome is this remake. again, a big THANK YOU!!!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: I've just completed the game with 205 points. I LOVE YO

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for the kind words. :)
In the classic KQ3, I remember that I can type "KICK CAT" and the cat actually screams then run away, and Alexander started to laugh, but I can't do that in this.
You can, but only after you've obtained the cat hair. You have to be fairly close before the option is given to score a field goal.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by goatmeal » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 pm

calvinfoo wrote:I really love the voice of all the animals. Chicken especially, lizzards, snakes... simply awesome, the way the animal speaks english, it is so hilarious. But I am dissapointed with Alexander's voice. it is so scripted... no feeling at all... like a robot.
It makes sense, if you think about it: Gwydion/Alexander has been a victim of abuse his entire life, so it's been "punished" out of him -- at least until later games, once he returns to his loving family.

I'd have been more surprised if he sounded like he was ready to dance and sing showtunes during the game... :)

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Xandarius » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:07 am

I too really like the way Gwydion's dialog and voice were handled. And also the fact that he cannot swim in this version. It never even occurred to me when playing the original that there is no way he would have known how to swim. (Reading is another question, which has been satisfactorily rationalized that Mannanan taught his slaves how to read so that they might occupy themselves with books rather than with snooping around. I'll buy it.)

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by edenwaith » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:59 am

goatmeal wrote:
calvinfoo wrote: But I am dissapointed with Alexander's voice. it is so scripted... no feeling at all... like a robot.
I'd have been more surprised if he sounded like he was ready to dance and sing showtunes during the game... :)
Well, there is at least one scene where he does break out into song...

But I do agree that the voice acting for Gwydion is fairly muted, especially in comparison to some of the other voice actors. But would I consider any of the voice acting bad? Absolutely not. Even some professional games don't reach this level with the acting. My favorite voices were probably the Behrs' (especially Baby Behr) and the barmaid.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by edenwaith » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 am

Xandarius wrote: And also the fact that he cannot swim in this version. It never even occurred to me when playing the original that there is no way he would have known how to swim.
I also liked that small detail, which then creates a new problem later in the game. Very clever. :)

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by goatmeal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 am

edenwaith wrote:
goatmeal wrote: I'd have been more surprised if he sounded like he was ready to dance and sing showtunes during the game... :)
Well, there is at least one scene where he does break out into song...
Quite true, but that was not necessarily a trait of his current demeanor; rather, it was the effect of a magical spell... ;)

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by calvinfoo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:26 am

goatmeal wrote: It makes sense, if you think about it: Gwydion/Alexander has been a victim of abuse his entire life, so it's been "punished" out of him -- at least until later games, once he returns to his loving family.

Actually I am ok with Alenxander in the early game voice acting before Mannaman turned into a cat. But dialogue between Mannaman and Alexander where I started to feel that the voice actor could do better, since he should feel happy since he defeated Mannaman, not still remains robot-like voice. The dialogue with Rosella and Graham, Alexander should sound much joyful after he met his family. But... the voice remains robot-like

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by edenwaith » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 am

However, one thing I did like about Gwydion's voice is that it was fairly close to the voice (Robby Benson?) in KQ6. Reading some of the other posts, some had "concerns" about Rosella's voice, but she had several different voice actresses over several games, so it can be more difficult to pin-point which version should be the "right" version.

Still, I think most of us are really having to search for things to nit-pick about this wonderful game.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am

Perhaps we should have used Miley Cyrus. Wonder what Rosella would have sounded like with a screeching southern accent?!