Death/DeadEnd/Retry/Save/Restore? (Was: KQ5,6,7 Remake?)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

Re: Death/DeadEnd/Retry/Save/Restore? (Was: KQ5,6,7 Remake?)

#51 Post by Radogol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 am

Billetwound wrote:HAHAH and that would make him have to start over because you couldn't save the game on Comm 64.
In what alternate, imaginary world was this the case?

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

Re: Possibility of KQ5, KQ6, & KQ7 Remake?

#52 Post by calvinfoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:09 am

Brainiac wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:But I even detest the "Retry" button.
See, that right there can be part of the problem. All too often I hear the hardcore vs. casual complaint. I'm reminded of the people who claimed Mega Man 10 was utterly worthless before it even came out simply because of the inclusion of an Easy Mode. Seriously? The mere presence of something designed to give players who are having trouble or just want to avoid major hassle and have fun an option makes the entire experience worthless? If you don't want the OPTIONAL easy stuff, you don't use it; how does that destroy your personal experience? This sense of "difficulty = better" that exists for certain genres is rather worrisome to me; it smacks of elitism and it may likely keep said genres from ever getting wider appeal (or losing it if it already has a decently-large fanbase).
This reminds me of Monkey Island 2, it has an easy mode for more casual or beginner players. Both are nice and fun in its own way. I played and enjoyed both.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#53 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 am

Gronagor wrote:
Radogol wrote:But it was Erpy himself who said slightly better graphics wouldn't be worth the effort ;)
*sigh* *Won't get into a silly argument.* *Won't get into a silly argument.* *Won't get into silly argument.* :p
Your mother was a hamster!

OK, I'm trying to start up a silly argument... :)

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#54 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 am

calvinfoo wrote:
This reminds me of Monkey Island 2, it has an easy mode for more casual or beginner players. Both are nice and fun in its own way. I played and enjoyed both.
Do you mean MI3? I recall the Easy/Hard mode in MI3, but don't recall anything like that in MI2 (but my memory might be hazy...

On other MI-news, I just downloaded the updated version of The Secret of Monkey Island for the Mac through the Mac App Store. With all of this retro goodness I've been delving into lately (thank you AGDI and IA), a little monkey business is in order!

EnvisagedOne
Peasant Status

#55 Post by EnvisagedOne » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 am

MI2 has 2 difficulties that you can choose at the beginning.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#56 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 am

Xandarius wrote:I'll always be fond of KQ5, but I feel like while the graphics and music were a huge step up, the puzzle design was actually taking major steps backwards. I really can't believe I managed to beat that game on my own.

I don't see any need for a remake of KQ6. It's one of the best adventure games ever, in my opinion. KQ7, on the other hand... I really, really hated that game. Granted, it had a few good ideas, and I liked the idea of being able to play as Rosella and Valanice, but to me it felt even less like a King's Quest game than Mask of Eternity (which was at least kind of fun in an awkward sort of way).
While KQ5 made some major technological strides forward, some of the gameplay did become more simplistic. I think there were at least two or three "trigger" puzzles that occurred. Pick up a fish, oh look, a bear appeared! I wonder if there is in correlation?

KQ6 also ranks very high on my list (alongside KQ3), especially considering the different paths that can be taken through the game. However, KQ7 felt far too Disney-ish for my tastes, and I didn't care much for it. Mask of Eternity was a decent game in itself, but it barely had any real KQ connection. Remove the name Daventry and King Graham and MOE could have stood on its own as a separate game.

edenwaith
Royal Servant Status

#57 Post by edenwaith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:47 am

EnvisagedOne wrote:MI2 has 2 difficulties that you can choose at the beginning.
Ah, OK, then. It's been awhile since I played that one. I just recall Guybrush hanging at the beginning of the game and then relating his tale...

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#58 Post by calvinfoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 am

edenwaith wrote:
Xandarius wrote:I'll always be fond of KQ5, but I feel like while the graphics and music were a huge step up, the puzzle design was actually taking major steps backwards. I really can't believe I managed to beat that game on my own.

I don't see any need for a remake of KQ6. It's one of the best adventure games ever, in my opinion. KQ7, on the other hand... I really, really hated that game. Granted, it had a few good ideas, and I liked the idea of being able to play as Rosella and Valanice, but to me it felt even less like a King's Quest game than Mask of Eternity (which was at least kind of fun in an awkward sort of way).
While KQ5 made some major technological strides forward, some of the gameplay did become more simplistic. I think there were at least two or three "trigger" puzzles that occurred. Pick up a fish, oh look, a bear appeared! I wonder if there is in correlation?

KQ6 also ranks very high on my list (alongside KQ3), especially considering the different paths that can be taken through the game. However, KQ7 felt far too Disney-ish for my tastes, and I didn't care much for it. Mask of Eternity was a decent game in itself, but it barely had any real KQ connection. Remove the name Daventry and King Graham and MOE could have stood on its own as a separate game.
KQ6 is the best in KQ series, it fine tuned everything to what KQ should be. KQ5 as well, even it is not as awesome as KQ6, but still good enough. If KQ6 is rated 9/10, then KQ5 should stands at 8 or 8.5.

On the other hand, KQ7 is a dissapointing, it became too cartoonish... The idea of KQ never was a cartoonish background, it is a fantasy fairy tale background. When KQ7 turns to cartoonish, it really dissapointed me. I only finished it once, and never look back again.

MoE, by the idea itself is stupid enough. I forced myself to complete it, regardless how, for the sake of King's Quest. If without the "King's Quest" title tagged with it, I won't even bother to look it.

However, AGDI still can do something with MoE I assume, redo and fix MoE to KQ5/6 standard, and link closer with KQ universe. I am sure all King's Quest fans love to see that and give full support.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#59 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:26 am

aside from the 'not-so-good' voice-over, I still choose KQ5 over KQ6.

Btw, original MI2 has 2 difficulty selection. However if you play the special edition (high definition), the easy difficulty was removed.
The difference is that in easy, most of the time you can already grab some of the items and directly go to places which usually needs something to do in hard difficulty. The most common example are traversing LeChuck's dungeon where in easy you just go directly to the main doors, while in hard mode needs to refer to the dancing skeleton cutscene's (in guybrush dream where he meets his parent which turns to pair of dancing skeleton) in order to reach the main door.

Grabbing the map parts also much easier. There's one piece that was thrown from Elaine mansion and stuck on branch at the cliff. In easy, you just need to nail it from the cliff using fishing rod, while in hard it will flew again to another place and needs something else to be done.