Awards Criteria ***[MEGA SPOILERS]***

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

Re: Awards Criteria ***[MEGA SPOILERS]***

#26 Post by Xandarius » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 am

For Klutz:

You have to trigger maybe two or three of the possible tripping/falling actions in the game to get this award. You don't have to do all of them.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 am

Xandarius wrote:I can't seem to get Scatterbrain. I've left the drawers and wardrobe open in M's room, left the trapdoor and wand cabinet open in the study, and the drawer open in the Behrs' house, but this doesn't seem to be enough. I even made sure to sit in Baby Behr's chair and break it. Any ideas?
Me too did all those things...
Remember Erpy said the "the scatterbrain award used to be called the litterbug award. It's the opposite of cleaning up after yourself." and "used to be called the litterbug award"
I can't figure where you could litter...

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 am

Billetwound wrote: As for 'Enry The 'Ermit you have to talk to everything. Just to be on the safe side. I also talked to the painting in the house, the mirror in the wizards room, the wizard's 4 talks in the dining room. The Wizard in the tower. The Wizard while he's asleep, Both Chickens, The cat - In random rooms, On the steps he has a different saying. Manannan as a cat, Smaude before you approach her, Smaude afterwards for all the conversations including after getting the stone, The 2 snakes, the 2 lizards, the 2 birds, the 2 squirrels, the dog, the shopkeeper, the gull, the eagle, the barmaid, the bard, the bard after clicking on the pitcher, mama behr, knocking on the door when papa behr answers, the 2 theives in the bar, the pirates, the first mate before you give money to the pirates 2 times, the oracle after the forced conversation, the two rats, The 2 pirates on the shore, the ghost during the test and before taking anything out of the chest, the first mate after getting assigned to do chores, the yeti during the Cave maze, the yeti after the cave maze, Rosella, Rosella after the dwarf, and The man in the cloak. I also Just double check and rapid fired clicked on everything just to make sure i got every line of conversation out of things.
These was my strategy for getting ‘enry the ‘ermit award... All the talk may not be necessary but I tried too many time to take any chances...
Talk to everybody and everything. Some conversations seem to be random and repeat things so you have to click and listen to (or read) the same answer multiple times. Keep track of the new lines... When speaking to the animals use the game speed slider to slow their movements...
Painting in the house – before and after changing Mannanan in to a cat
The mirror in the Mannanan’s room (this one did not seem to trigger a change in the conversation)
4 talks with Mannanan’s in the dining room. I think if you have the animal language spell and told about the 18th birthday event it comes up the first time you talk to Mannanan...
Mannanan in the tower (he always punished me for this)
Mannanan while he's asleep (only one click – twice and you are punished!)
Manannan as a cat
Both Chickens
The cat - in the house and in the laboratory.
Smaude – as you walk in, before and after changing her and after taking the stone
2 snakes
2 lizards
2 birds
2 squirrels
Dog
Shopkeeper
The gull
The eagle
The barmaid - before and after trying to take the lute
The bard - before and after clicking on the pitcher
Mama Behr – when she is gardening
Papa Behr - knocking on the door when you see the Behr’s returning home
2 thieves in the bar
The Captain in the Bar
First mate before you give the money to the Captain (Only 2 times, 3 times and you die)
The oracle after exhausting the conversation (You get the eye icon, quickly change to the mouth icon and click on her)
The two rats in the ships hold
The Captain and the first Mate on the island shore
Seran’s ghost - during the test and before clicking on the chest
The first mate after he assigns you each chore
The yeti during and on completion of the Cave Maze
Rosella after rescuing and soon after meeting the dwarf
The man in the black cloak.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 am

Xandarius wrote:I can't seem to get Scatterbrain. I've left the drawers and wardrobe open in M's room, left the trapdoor and wand cabinet open in the study, and the drawer open in the Behrs' house, but this doesn't seem to be enough. I even made sure to sit in Baby Behr's chair and break it. Any ideas?
Try leaving the knife in the cave! Am not sure if you have to break the chair in the Behr's house...

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#30 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53 am

Need ideas about the Neat freak award... Have done all the chores at Mannanan's House including any assigned to me for irritating him, cleaned all decks on the ship...
Well haven't worked on the Consolation... it might be hard to get no awards!!!
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#31 Post by calvinfoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:54 am

TriniMage wrote:
Try leaving the knife in the cave! Am not sure if you have to break the chair in the Behr's house...
I got scatterbrain, and I didn't even throw the knife onto the web, but I did broke the Behr's chair.

I do leave all the closets/cabinet/drawer/safe/traps doors open.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#32 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 am

Did anyone get the Neat Freak Award after breaking the chair in the Behr's House?
I am trying to figure out why I can't get this award...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#33 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am

Neat freak and scatterbrain are mutually exclusive. Neat freak also involves being a very good slave who doesn't need to be asked in order to do his duties.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#34 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Erpy wrote:Neat freak and scatterbrain are mutually exclusive. Neat freak also involves being a very good slave who doesn't need to be asked in order to do his duties.

I think I had performed all the chores when playing previously. Is it possible that if Mannanan orders you to do a task then you have to redo it for it to count as a chore? Anyway, taking no chances, I performed all chores multiple times and so got it...

It was surprising easy to get the Consolation Award... so...
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Billetwound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Congrats TriniMage, yeah i thought Consulation would be rough to get but surprisingly it was a breeze. :)

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#36 Post by TriniMage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Billetwound wrote:Congrats TriniMage, yeah i thought Consulation would be rough to get but surprisingly it was a breeze. :)
Thank you... I guess playing so many times and trying for specific awards made me aware of what to avoid for the Consolation Award...
AWARDS was a brilliant idea by the AGDI team to motivate replaying of the game... This is the best game I have ever played... If I have to choose my best ten all time list it would be something like this:
KQIII Redux, KQ5, Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis, KQ2 - Romancing the Stones, Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire Remake, Gabriel Knight I, Full Throttle, Robin Hood - Conquest Of The Longbow, Monkey Island II, Monkey Island SE...
Of course it is a little unfair to compare the remakes with the original! But I have been fortunate to play many of these games as they were released. It is vastly different to play a game with the hardware at the time of its release, without Internet, email and cheat sheets etc. than doing a replay with modern hardware. I remember having to install games in DOS on 286, 386 or 486 processors where DOS can only address a maximum of 640K memory and having to play around with CDROM, mouse, other peripheral drivers and memory resident programs like Antivirus to tweak these into the extra 384 K of extended memory... Or Using Win 3.1 ... This made the enjoyment of games like Blue Force, Sam'n'Max, DOTT, etc. very different from playing them with DOS Box with the power of modern hardware... If a game was slow and sluggish where you easily died and it took forever to reload, you soon grew tired of it...
On another note, I think the Adventure Gamer is a problem solver rather than someone who has the quick reflexes of an arcade player...
I appreciate adventure games which give the player very little of arcade type play or if there is arcade sequences there is a control to vary the level of arcade skill required by the player... I remember KQ5 but I absolutely hated the skill with the mouse required (and the short time) to hit he cat as it attacked the rat whereas QFG4 had a slider icon which could take down the arcade level making it more enjoyable. This is the same reason I hate first person games so although I bought GK3 I have not played it... and although I played Silver lining I did not enjoy it as much as if it was a third person game...

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by Chyron_8472 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 am

Got Roger Wilco and Scatterbrain.

Only have Neat Freak and Consolation left.

I think the reason why I didn't get Scatterbrain in earlier runs was probably because I either missed opening the Behr drawer or the Baby Behr chair.

I also think the Baby Bear chair could be a reason for my not getting Neat Freak before.

Eventide
Peasant Status

#38 Post by Eventide » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:26 am

For Neat Freak, try deck brushing every screen on the pirate ship. I did multiple chores to pass the time in the house then when I had the chance I deck brushed everything I could on the pirate ship.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Brainiac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 am

calvinfoo wrote:Grudge - I got this even after Manannan went to sleep (but I woke him up), unless "sleep" doesn't count as journey
So you missed the first journey, woke Manny up from his nap, and then gave him the tainted porridge after his second journey? Are you sure that worked for Grudge, because doesn't seem to for me?

I'm working out the maximum number of Awards a player can get in a single playthrough. I think I know what the number is; once I've got a screenshot of the award screen, I'll post it.

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#40 Post by calvinfoo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 am

Brainiac wrote:
calvinfoo wrote:Grudge - I got this even after Manannan went to sleep (but I woke him up), unless "sleep" doesn't count as journey
So you missed the first journey, woke Manny up from his nap, and then gave him the tainted porridge after his second journey? Are you sure that worked for Grudge, because doesn't seem to for me?

I'm working out the maximum number of Awards a player can get in a single playthrough. I think I know what the number is; once I've got a screenshot of the award screen, I'll post it.
Well.. I completed the cookie within Manannan's first journey, but I decided to let him remain as human for a while as I wanted to get the Rise and Shine Award. So after he went to sleep, I woke him up. but I still got the Grudge.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#41 Post by Brainiac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:59 am

But you also had to wait for him to return from a second trip, didn't you? If you wake him up manually, he won't ask for food, after all.

This is interesting. If the trigger for Grudge is actually making the cookie before Manny returns from his first trip and not using it at the first meal, Grudge is no longer incompatible with Stockholm and 'Enry and it would raise my expected maximum number of awards to twenty. I must test!

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by calvinfoo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 am

Brainiac wrote:But you also had to wait for him to return from a second trip, didn't you? If you wake him up manually, he won't ask for food, after all.

This is interesting. If the trigger for Grudge is actually making the cookie before Manny returns from his first trip and not using it at the first meal, Grudge is no longer incompatible with Stockholm and 'Enry and it would raise my expected maximum number of awards to twenty. I must test!
Well, that's what I can remember, but I could be wrong. Please verify that

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#43 Post by Brainiac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 am

calvinfoo wrote:Well, that's what I can remember, but I could be wrong. Please verify that
I think you are. Unless there's some other interaction I'm missing (or you just caught a lucky glitch), I can't get Grudge by making the cookie during Manny's first journey, waking him from his nap, and then giving him the tainted porridge after his second trip. I even tried both feeding him something else and not feeding him at all after the first journey. No dice either way.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#44 Post by Billetwound » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 am

I believe that the grudge award is based off of the in game clock. There is an exact limit on time that you have to deal with it to get grudge. and you technically could get it after he wakes up if you instantly wake him up and he leaves and returns but it might be pushing it, like, you'd have to be in the hallway outside his door when he says he's taking a nap, and then wake him up, to kinda rush time. I dont know if the debug mode will grant the award if i "Defeat Manannan" but i can give that a shot and try to pinpoint an exact time to get the grudge award.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#45 Post by TriniMage » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 am

Brainiac wrote:
calvinfoo wrote:Well, that's what I can remember, but I could be wrong. Please verify that
I think you are. Unless there's some other interaction I'm missing (or you just caught a lucky glitch), I can't get Grudge by making the cookie during Manny's first journey, waking him from his nap, and then giving him the tainted porridge after his second trip. I even tried both feeding him something else and not feeding him at all after the first journey. No dice either way.
I have not been able to duplicate calvinfoo feat as whenever I wake M up he does not ask for food! And if I wait till he wakes up then I don't get the Grudge Award.
@ calvinfoo - I wonder if something may have happened after you woke him up that caused you to restore a game (which was still in the first session) and fed him the cookie after the first journey and completely forgot about it, remembering that you that you had awoken him! It has happened that I have restored a game and was so sure that I looked at a particular item or done a particular action... but that was from the game just before the restore. I suppose it depends on your saving style...
On the other had you may have discovered a bug without paying attention to some other detail that we are not replicating... More than likely if the bug is there someone else would find it at some time!

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#46 Post by TriniMage » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 am

Billetwound wrote:I believe that the grudge award is based off of the in game clock. There is an exact limit on time that you have to deal with it to get grudge. and you technically could get it after he wakes up if you instantly wake him up and he leaves and returns but it might be pushing it, like, you'd have to be in the hallway outside his door when he says he's taking a nap, and then wake him up, to kinda rush time. I dont know if the debug mode will grant the award if i "Defeat Manannan" but i can give that a shot and try to pinpoint an exact time to get the grudge award.
I think it is an event trigger – feeding M the tainted cookie when he returns from his first journey.
I would be a little sceptical about the time limit as I noticed when Gwydion is punished by hanging in the kitchen the time accelerates by more than any other punishment... You can have this punishment and still get the Grudge Award... I will try a game with two ‘hangings in the kitchen’ and see if I can still get the award.
But even if there is a time trigger the million dollar question is: How do you get M to ask for food so you could feed him the cookie??? When you wake him up he does not ask for food!!!
And if you wait till he returns from a second journey then it would seem that the time would certainly too long...

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#47 Post by calvinfoo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 am

TriniMage wrote:
Brainiac wrote:
I have not been able to duplicate calvinfoo feat as whenever I wake M up he does not ask for food! And if I wait till he wakes up then I don't get the Grudge Award.
@ calvinfoo - I wonder if something may have happened after you woke him up that caused you to restore a game (which was still in the first session) and fed him the cookie after the first journey and completely forgot about it, remembering that you that you had awoken him! It has happened that I have restored a game and was so sure that I looked at a particular item or done a particular action... but that was from the game just before the restore. I suppose it depends on your saving style...
On the other had you may have discovered a bug without paying attention to some other detail that we are not replicating... More than likely if the bug is there someone else would find it at some time!
I do remember I got Rise and Shine with Grudge together, but I also remember I didn't let M to go for 2nd journey and fed him the porridge. Something I must've remembered wrongly.

Hell, I'll just verify later and update you guys.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#48 Post by Brainiac » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 am

The work is complete. I give you all the best result (so far as I can determine). Behold...nineteen awards!

Of course, some awards can be switched (Legenimor and Lightweight, for example), but I don't think anyone can get more than nineteen at once, debug mode or no. However, if the chickens are ever reverted to being able to catch them without feed (as in the original), I'll redo this for twenty awards.
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Brainiac on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#49 Post by calvinfoo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 am

calvinfoo wrote:I do remember I got Rise and Shine with Grudge together, but I also remember I didn't let M to go for 2nd journey and fed him the porridge. Something I must've remembered wrongly.

Hell, I'll just verify later and update you guys.
I think I must be mistaken. I can't locate the save game that I got Rise and Shine with Grudge.

Brain
Peasant Status

#50 Post by Brain » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm aiming for the perfectionist award. This will be good. :D