Problem! Need Help!!

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Scorpinac
Peasant Status

Problem! Need Help!!

#1 Post by Scorpinac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Okay, I get a newsletter in my e-mail a little over a week back about the release of KQ3Redux, and while a little surprised, I dropped by the site and download it's install file, and before launching it and playing I decide to replay the other two remakes to refresh myself on this world and your work. Since I last played them, I have tossed aside my old Win2k machine(which they did work on) and gotten a beautiful HP Win7 machine, so I have to reinstall first, no big deal. Your KQI and IA's KQIII, which I also redid for comparison value, worked fine, no issues whatsoever. But when I went to do KQII, while it installed okay, and ran the opening cutscene okay, every time, and I mean every time, I get to the opening menu of "Intro", New Game", "Credits", and "Continue Game", it chokes and crashes with the following report -

in "room288.asc" line 404
Error: FileWrite: invalid file handle; file not previously opened or has been closed.

Well, I returned to your site to see if I can find something to help me with this, and learn that you have updated the game from version 3.0(which is what I had) to 3.1c, so I download that, and...it won't install, period! And I even tried re-downloading it, still nada. On the plus side, I did save my old save games from my previous play on my old machine when I moved over, and was able to use the earliest as a "back door" of sorts to get into the game - of course, said earliest was at the library when I was attempting to get the card signed. And when I tried to do a restart to go back to the beginning of the game, it crashes again, with the following message -

Error: unable to restart game(error: File not found)

Now I'm a little steamed, but since I can still otherwise play the game I proceeded to do so, finished with a perfect score regardless, went through IA's KQIII, finished it, and was now ready to finally install your KQIII, and what happens? It won't install either! And I again tried a re-download, nothing! For both the latest version of your KQII and KQIII(and, as i just tested, your QFGII 2.0, thankfully I'd already done that one on my previous machine as well), at the end of the install procedure after I click the "Install" option, it just fails with the following -

Create file failed;
Code 5: Access is denied

So, in short, do you have any idea on how to fix this? Cause I really want to play your KQIII, and, frankly, it would be nice to eventually do KQII again from the beginning. Please??

Scorpinac
Peasant Status

Re: Problem! Need Help!!

#2 Post by Scorpinac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. Some time back I got gobbsmakced by a virus, and while Norton eventually succeeded in tracking down it's last nasty little execute file and killed it, a .dll in my normal, non-administrator account was left busted, and was apparently the most likely culprit, as when I logged in under my full administrator account it made no noise about a messed up .dll, and I got both games to install just fine, and they play correctly in my normal account(I'll be keeping this in mind for whenever I finally decide to replay QFGII as well). Still, you got to wonder if that's all that kept it installing under my non-administrator account... Now the only issue is that apparently KQII 3.1c doesn't really recognize my old save games, but that's okay since I get to play right from the beginning again, which is what I wanted all along anyway. Sorry to bother you....