1:1 Remakes

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

crackerjack
Peasant Status

1:1 Remakes

#1 Post by crackerjack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:17 am

Edit * I decided to rename the title for this post in the hopes of getting a discussion started on 1:1 remakes, but i'll keep my original comments below.

I first want to say that those involved in these past projects are extremely talented, and should be immensely proud of their work on these remakes! Everyone at ADGI and Infamous Adventures have a great deal of talent when it comes to storytelling and creative talent concerning the artwork, music and writing, and it would be nice to see more original projects to showcase these talents.

That being said, the one thing I am disappointed with, is the fact that there has never been a real push for a 1:1 series remake to match the originals. I think these remakes (and those of IA) are fantastic examples of what Sierra could have done with these classics, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed with the fact that I still don't get to play an exact 1:1 remake with nothing more than updated graphics and user interface.

I hope someone will [one day] take on the project to remake all of the classics in an exact 1:1 remake format to appease the people who have a more sentimental feeling towards these games.

So at any rate, thanks for yet another entertaining game!

adeyke

Re: 1:1 Remakes

#2 Post by adeyke » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:29 am

I'd rather have a good remake than one that's faithful to the original.

If you want to get the experience of playing the original, you can already do that by playing the original. And if the experience would actually be improved by changing the graphics, the interface, the music, etc., why not also improve it by changing the puzzles and the writing?

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by calvinfoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 am

crackerjack wrote:I hope someone will [one day] take on the project to remake all of the classics in an exact 1:1 remake format to appease the people who have a more sentimental feeling towards these games.

So at any rate, thanks for yet another entertaining game!
Perhaps you should ask yourself, what if I put colour into The Gold Rush, and put voice into Charlie Chaplin's mouth? The same theory applies.

calvinfoo
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by calvinfoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 am

adeyke wrote:I'd rather have a good remake than one that's faithful to the original.

If you want to get the experience of playing the original, you can already do that by playing the original. And if the experience would actually be improved by changing the graphics, the interface, the music, etc., why not also improve it by changing the puzzles and the writing?
I fully agree with you. I find no reason to copy exactly of the original, and did nothing but just the cosmetic differences, add more colour, add voice, add music.

Many of the movies nowadays are actually remake of the classics, but none of them copy exactly. If copy exactly but did nothing but improve it with enhanced graphics and CGs, add THX Surround, and my question is... What for? and for what? Example like Star Wars.... What for? and For what?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 am

I'd rather have a good remake than one that's faithful to the original.

My thoughts exactly. Of course we could make 1:1 remakes that copy the flaws of the original to a tee. But we're not just trying to make enjoyable remakes, we're also trying to make enjoyable games. Conciously leaving flaws in games feels somewhat counterintuitive. By making a game that may not match the original 100%, but is generally more fun to play, we're also inviting people who weren't fans of the series before to give the games a try.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't think it's possible to convert a parser game 1:1 into a remake.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 pm

I suspect he wants the parser to be used, rather than point-n-click.

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#8 Post by crackerjack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

I think the fact that you can take a walkthrough from the original and still be able to use it on the new version would make it as close to what is a 1:1 remake.

I'm certainly not opposed to side quests, as long as the original game is still there.

I suppose I just miss seeing some of the memorable moments from the original games being left out of the new remakes. (Such as the Multi-coloured door in KQ2 being changed to a rock)

Could be just a trivial point on my end ... :lol

chucklas
Peasant Status

#9 Post by chucklas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:20 pm

crackerjack wrote:(Such as the Multi-coloured door in KQ2 being changed to a rock)

This was one that I was disappointed with as well. I loved the door in the original and thought it was a mistake to change. I would agree with the majority and say that remakes should add to the original (but not so much that the game doesn't have the same feel/story to it). I love knowing I am playing the same story, but the puzzles can be modified to make them better, or other changes made to fix things that weren't good to begin with.

crackerjack
Peasant Status

#10 Post by crackerjack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:28 am

This was one that I was disappointed with as well. I loved the door in the original and thought it was a mistake to change. I would agree with the majority and say that remakes should add to the original (but not so much that the game doesn't have the same feel/story to it). I love knowing I am playing the same story, but the puzzles can be modified to make them better, or other changes made to fix things that weren't good to begin with.
Agreed ... :)