Question plus feedback...

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

horus82
Peasant Status

Question plus feedback...

#1 Post by horus82 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 am

I thought the purpose of the "redux" was to upgrade the original to the current point and click style of game play. But, I'm not having much luck with this method. I point on the library book, expecting to it to open, be read, something...anything, some "action"! But, I get squat! The manual is not very helpful because it does not tell you HOW to use an item; It doesn't have to tell you what the item does, but it would be helpful if you could access its 'function'. For example, using the "boots" icon is supposed to be used when you want to "go" somewhere -- for me, that meant move from point A to point B. But it took me 20 minutes to discover that you can't use that icon to "climb"(which, to me, is still moving between points!. Instead, you have to use the icon for "take" or "interaction". That's not intuitive.

While playing the game I've figured out that I need a library book in order to discover the secret to the levers in the bookcase; but, while I have the book, I've clicked every icon possible but can't "read" (or 'see') or even "open" the book; ditto the map. So now what do I do? Is this a glitch? Do I simply have a faulty copy of the game? At least with the original, I could type in what I wanted to do and go from there, but now I'm just stuck and looking stupid (though I'm a reasonably intelligent person).

It's entirely TOO frustrating to be hung up on something so basic to the use of the game; a point that should have been adequately explained in the so-called 'manual'. I even read the "walkthrough" in the manual just to see if there was some thing or some icon that was missing. But what a pointless waste of space that was, as it didn't tell you anything that wasn't previously covered in the manual, and certainly didn't offer any hints. I want the icons to do what they're supposed to -- if I click on 'interact' and a book, shouldn't some 'action' take place? I don't think that's too much to ask. I'll give this game another half-hour to start from scratch and see if I'm doing something wrong;after that, I'll continue my game playing through the BigFishGames site; at the very least, keys and icons do what they're supposed to.

The game is lovely and I love the concept, but I guess I'll have to access one of my Mom's old PC's and play the original. Maybe I'll try the I and II games and see if I have the same problems (I'm playing on a Mac).

Peace,
Horus82

horus82
Peasant Status

Re: Question plus feedback...

#2 Post by horus82 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 am

While some aspects of the game I still do have complaints about, but recognizing the amount of effort and talent involved in trying to update such a classic game, I do appreciate it while frustrated. However, as I've indicated in a previous reply, my game file is corrupted. Things I could do before saving, I can't do after; graphics go wonky, all kinds of problems. So I'll trash everything, fix/repair the permissions on my computer, re-download, and start from scratch. Hopefully, that will at least get rid of the part of the game I've got control over :) . Then I'll see if I can play again.

Peace,
Horus82

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:16 pm

horus. Have you ever played Sierra games? At least anything since VGA appeared? This game is supposed to work similar to these VGA games. If you want to type, you can play the older version. There're actually a number of ways to play them without getting the old computer out. Some of them even online.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Gronagor, it looks like Horus's copy of the game gets glitched after saving, and then the cursor starts acting wonky or something like that, so he can't play the remake. I don't own a Mac, so I don't know if the underlying cause is misconfiguration of the device, emulation problems, installation faults, gamefile corruption, lack of system privileges or any other cause. Given that it happens right after saving, it's probably related to a problem trying to write on the hard disk, which in turn could also affect the focus on the application.

horus82
Peasant Status

#5 Post by horus82 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:00 am

Hi all,

Yes, Gronager, I have played the Sierra games before, quite a few of them including KQ I-V and I am definitely one of the users that found the spells frustrating because, basically, everything had to be typed out verbatim -- e.g. a "can" instead of a "may" and you're zapped. While I didn't mean to be so negative (for lack of a better word) in my post, you know how it is when you're frustrated. And, as I stated in a later post, it appears that I have a bad copy of the game, as DrJones suggested -- e.g., I could feed the porridge to Man. and then he'd go to sleep. But when I left the game and the reopened the game at a previous point, when I try to feed the porridge to Man. I get an error message stating I can't use that here (or something similar). I don't know if the problems I'm having are because of glitches in the Mac version or just my Macbook. When I get a chance, I'll re-download and try again and see what happens. Thanks for responding!

horus82
Peasant Status

Re: Question plus feedback...Yippee!

#6 Post by horus82 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 am

Hey everybody!

Yippee! Turned out my all my problems (almost :) ) were caused by a bad download (I've experienced similar problems -- usually graphics related -- in other games previously). I erased everything and started from scratch with a new download and I got none of the prior problems. I could read the book, climb, etc. The only problem I have is that sometimes that it's difficult to get the "boots" to go where I want (especially on the stairs and through doors), but I think that will diminish as I become more acclimated to the game. Now I'm (almost) enjoying it as much as the first time! Thanks to everybody for their responses and help, too!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 am

These problems are limitations on the pathfinding algorithm used by AGS, and not related to your download. Good to know you can now experience the game in its full glory. :)

horus82
Peasant Status

#8 Post by horus82 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, I spoke to soon. I guess the algorithm limitations are not conducive to my Macbook because everytime I've tried to approach the chicken coop (or, i should say 'chicken coop gate'), I get a 'spinning Gwydion' who doesn't move and I've had this problem at places in the town. In addition, I have the problem with the game automatically changing icons (and NOT where the change makes any sense -- unless there's a reason to talk to 'sand' or 'pick up' steps. So, I've given up...after now three downloads..I see it's just not meant to be. Hope everyone else has better luck and gets to enjoy the game!

OrigamiGuy
Peasant Status

#9 Post by OrigamiGuy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 pm

horus82 wrote:Well, I spoke to soon. I guess the algorithm limitations are not conducive to my Macbook because everytime I've tried to approach the chicken coop (or, i should say 'chicken coop gate'), I get a 'spinning Gwydion' who doesn't move and I've had this problem at places in the town. In addition, I have the problem with the game automatically changing icons (and NOT where the change makes any sense -- unless there's a reason to talk to 'sand' or 'pick up' steps. So, I've given up...after now three downloads..I see it's just not meant to be. Hope everyone else has better luck and gets to enjoy the game!
There's always the emulation route. The requirements for this game are a lot less than some other games I've run on VMware from my MacBook.