Hey, It's That Voice!

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Hey, It's That Voice!

#1 Post by Brainiac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 am

<listens to several voices carefully>

<checks the manual>

I knew it; I was even right all four times. So how did you guys get Edwin Tiong (aka Omahdon) involved? Did he come to you or vice versa? Any other interesting stories about the various VAs in the game?

Pity you can't put links in the topic title...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Hey, It's That Voice!

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:59 am

I knew it; I was even right all four times. So how did you guys get Edwin Tiong (aka Omahdon) involved? Did he come to you or vice versa?
I put out a casting call for voice auditions and most of the voice actors came to us. I simply chose the actors I thought were best-suited for each role. I must admit, I love bringing this part of the game together. It's a lot of fun! Edwyn Tiong was one such voice actor who responded to the casting call and nailed the characters I'd asked him to send audition takes for.
Any other interesting stories about the various VAs in the game?
Robert Adamson who plays Gwydion/Alexander used to correspond with me back in the days when we released KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA, before he started landing roles in Hollywood. He generously offered his services for the role, and we were happy to accept them!

Sara Blaine who plays Rosella is also a professional voice actress who's provided voices in Pixar/Disney stuff. She's voiced characters in several Sierra games as well. She requested that we use a pseudonym rather than her real name, as she didn't want SAG to find out that she did the role.

John Bell plays both the Narrator and Manannan. I was worried that people would think the two voices sound too similar, but there seem to have been no complaints (that I've heard). I also raised the pitch of his Manannan voice ever-so-slightly. It was a hard role to cast because it required an older male actor and those are harder to find on the Internet. I also didn't want to go with a 20-something person impersonating an old man. Manannan plays an important role in the game, so he had to sound authentic. It seems he pulled it off quite well, as most people like the way the wizard sounds. Oh, and he also plays The Pirate Captain too. (Incidentally, I played the First Mate, so the Captain and First mate back-and-forth dialogues are between the same 2 people who voiced Al Emmo and the narrator dialogues in The Lost Dutchman's Mine :lol )

Caroline O'meara who plays the barmaid, is my cousin.

Josh Mandel was an obvious choice for Graham. However, his microphone produced such loud background noise, that after 5 attempts he had to end up getting his lines done in a proper recording studio. The things Josh does to entertain his fans! :D

Sean V. Crisden is super talented and adjusting his voice to suit the role. Off the cuff I asked him for an "Iago impersonation from Aladdin" for the seagull, and he pulled it off flawlessly. He also played the Monk in the retake lines we did for KQ2VGA.

Corey Cole was originally meant to play George Behr, Lori was going to play Mildred Behr, and I beleive Sean wanted their son to play Baby Behr. But it was difficult to arrange, so only Lori ended up recording lines and she ended up playing Smaude instead. She based it somewhat on her Queen Icebella role from King's Quest V.

Al Lowe declined the role of the Bard cum Minstrel.

Richard Aronson who played Count Caldaur in Romancing the Stones (and Cedric in KQ5) was orignally recorded and lip-synced for Seran. In fact, his lines were still in the game up until a couple of weeks ago. I made the difficult decision to cut them, as the audio quality was too poor when compared to the other actor's recordings. Bob Noble re-recorded Seran's lines.

Kira Buckland who played Midred Behr and the bluebird has been in a few things.

Rachael Faught (Valanice), Josh Mandel (Graham), the Narrator (John Bell), The Father (TamTu Bui), and me (Gnome) are voice actors who returned to this game to reprise the same character roles they played in either KQ1VGA or KQ2VGA.

We tried to get Robby Benson involved, but his agent wanted a million dollars or some crazy figure. I swallowed. |I

Some of the credits are now listed on IMDB (I guess they are still in the process of adding the rest):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847623/

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:33 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Sara Blaine who plays Rosella is also a professional voice actress who's provided voices in Pixar/Disney stuff. She's voiced characters in several Sierra games as well. She requested that we use a pseudonym rather than her real name, as she didn't want SAG to find out that she did the role.
Since she's hiding from SAG, I won't say who I believe she is. Suffice it to say, she also sounded familiar to me.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Josh Mandel was an obvious choice for Graham. However, his microphone produced such loud background noise, that after 5 attempts he had to end up getting his lines done in a proper recording studio. The things Josh does to entertain his fans! :D
Beleive me, TSL notwithstanding, most people will always consider Josho to be Graham. It's even come up over at Telltale ever since their announcement. I'm sorry to hear it was such a pain for him to record, but I'm sure everyone here will be happy to thank him for his effort.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Al Lowe declined the role of the Bard cum Minstrel.

Richard Aronson who played Count Caldaur in Romancing the Stones (and Cedric in KQ5) was orignally recorded and lip-synced for Seran. In fact, his lines were still in the game up until a couple of weeks ago. I made the difficult decision to cut them, as the audio quality was too poor when compared to the other actor's recordings. Bob Noble re-recorded Seran's lines.
That's too bad on both counts. Not that those who did take up the roles did anything other than an excellent job.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Edwyn Tiong was one such voice actor who responded to the casting call and nailed the characters I'd asked him to send audition takes for.
One thing to fix in a future version...check with Omahdon as to how his first name is properly spelled. It's in the game as both Edwyn and Edwin (the manual lists him as Edwin Tiong, but I think it's actually the former).

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:12 am

did Robby himself ever know this? I think the agent only tries to score some dough for himself... :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:11 am

Robby directed us to his agent who arranges all that stuff for him. He probably didn't want to deal with making deals himself.

The Jack of Hearts
Peasant Status

#6 Post by The Jack of Hearts » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 am

I was really surprised when I found out Benson was Beast in Beauty And The Beast. I didn't realize he was that successful an actor when I first heard he turned down the role. The new guy does a really great job, better than Benson in my opinion.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Josh Mandel was an obvious choice for Graham. However, his microphone produced such loud background noise, that after 5 attempts he had to end up getting his lines done in a proper recording studio. The things Josh does to entertain his fans! :D
Gotta say this, Josh Mandel is a fantastic guy and does a superb job as King Graham. The fact Josh keeps coming out, time and again, to help with fan projects is just awesome. Heck, he's voiced more Kings Quest games than there ARE Kings Quest games. KQ5 for Sierra, KQ1-3 for AGDI, KQ3 for IA. Josh is someone who just loves Sierra adventure games and it shines through. Sierra was not only blessed with talent it had some genuine and nice people there too. One person I think VERY highly of is Andy Hoyos, who was an art director at Sierra and voiced Mordack in KQ5. He voiced not only Mordack in the cameo we gave him (IA's KQ3) he also voiced our Manannan, which we thought was just brilliant. And to top it off, we ended up losing about 10 of his lines near the end of production and he recorded them all a second time for us. Genuine and nice person.

hammer
Peasant Status

#8 Post by hammer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Why did Al Lowe turn down the cameo? That surprises me...

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I'd rather not go in to that... Al is a great guy and he had his reasons. He has been friendly and supportive. He even plugged the game on one of his daily emails after it was released. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to work with him in the future!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 am

The final IMDB page for King's Quest III Redux has finally been updated:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847623/