Locked room bug?

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Silas
Peasant Status

Locked room bug?

#1 Post by Silas » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello,
I hope I'm posting this in the right section (the bugs section seems to be specific only to kq2 and qfg).

What you need to recreate this bug:
1) The magic stone and its teleportation abilities.
2) Manannan awaiting dinner.

Sit down next to Manannan, until your punishment is to get locked into your room. Use the magic stone to teleport out.
Next, head outside and try to use your magic map to teleport to any location. You will be taken back to the scene outside the mansion, and when you move Gwydion around, the teleportation animated pixel will "walk".
Other bugs associated with this:
- you can re-enter your room after it has been locked, and you can even exit it once you have re-entered
- If you kick the cat while you have escaped from your room, you get a delayed punishment once you are finished sleeping in your room
- You can't even change into an eagle outside of your mansion.

I am unfortunately not an expert with video-capturing utilities to show you this bug, but I do have the save file of Manannan waiting in the kitchen just prior to making the event occur (but don't know how to select that save file to attach to this post). The experimentation involves waiting until your punishment is being locked in your room.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

Re: Locked room bug?

#2 Post by TriniMage » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Silas wrote:Hello,
... your punishment is to get locked into your room. Use the magic stone to teleport out.
Next, head outside and try to use your magic map to teleport to any location. You will be taken back to the scene outside the mansion, and when you move Gwydion around, the teleportation animated pixel will "walk".
Other bugs associated with this:
- you can re-enter your room after it has been locked, and you can even exit it once you have re-entered
- If you kick the cat while you have escaped from your room, you get a delayed punishment once you are finished sleeping in your room
- You can't even change into an eagle outside of your mansion.
Interesting...
I was able to 'recreate the bug'...
Ok if Manny locks you in you room you can teleport out if you have the teleport spell...
But I have been able to go back to the room and escape using the teleport spell many times.. [EDIT]*** I was actually able to walk out a few times before the door opened on its own...***
I would think that you would have to avoid Manny when you are outside with the stone (as it is a magic item, but I teleported into the tower and he ignored me... even when I interrupted him... I actually entered the tower with the rose petal and the feather and no death...) But dont' let him catch you in any other place with the stone only and the other banned items... (maybe he was distracted in the tower spying on the residents of Llewedor)
Now remember when he locks you in, you have to wait some time before you can open the door... If you do you can open the door normally ...

You are quite right about using the eagle feather... you only have the walk icon... but rememeber you can't venture to too far when Manny is awake and you are waiting for him to go on a journey or to sleep (the timer is white)... Also the menus are NOT available unless you change screen by going into the house or to the eagle screen...
Still playing around ...
Last edited by TriniMage on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by TriniMage » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Silas wrote:If you kick the cat while you have escaped from your room, you get a delayed punishment once you are finished sleeping in your room
If you are in the mode where you have escaped from the punishment of being locked into the room by using the teleport spell the clock gets stuck in this mode and is only triggered wnen Gwydion's 'finishes the punishment'... (i.e. the door opens on its own after Gwydion has spent the required time in the room). But Guydion has to be in the room SO IF YOU AVOID GOING BACK TO GUYDIONS ROOM [or don't stay long in the room] the clock is stuck.... I am going to try to visit LLewedor and 'play the game during this stuck time'
***[EDIT] if you try to enter the laboratory, Manny kills you on the staircase as you try to go to the basement lab...*** but you could take the wand and open the trapdoor*** using the teleport spell may get you into the lab...***
***[EDIT] The Magic map does not work... Gwydion may behave strangely after that (like if he is exiting the screen with the map)...Kicking the cat seems to restore it to normal...*** Also the fly spell... no mesage just nothing, however Gwydion may disappear from the screen***
***[EDIT] You can't get past the eagle screen, Manny kills you...***
***[EDIT] You can go through Manny's things...***
***[EDIT] If you violate the 'straying' and have commited other infractions when Manny kills you there seems to be a a priority in the messages... (1) violating the laboratory space... (2) going through Manny's things... (3) carrying probhibited items...
***[EDIT] If you keep bothering Manny he will assign you another chore or kill you depending on how many chances he has given you before...***
***[EDIT] If he give you another chore and you do it he will dissappear from the tower... If you don't do it he doesn't seem to notice that***
Normally if you kick the cat while Manny is in the House you get an immediate punishment... , you can kick the cat multiple times... the cat does not move after the first kick... you can actually kick him off the screen...
***[EDIT] if the cat has been kicked he may appear in another room (still unmoving)...***
Manny was spying on LLewedor (so I don't know if this is part of the bug) when I kicked the cat on the landing outside the room and was able to kick him up and down between Manny's room and Gwydon's room. If you trigger the opening of the door then Manny checks on you and he will punish (in my case kill because I was on my last disobedience)...
***[EDIT] You can't kick the cat in the tower...***

Silas
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Silas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 am

Another strange thing. One time after being punished in the locked room, I teleported into Manannan's office while he was working (he was sitting down with a feathered pen). What I found funny was the fact that I opened his laboratory, opened his wand safe, yet Manannan remains oblivious to what I am doing (which I find funny).

Though the error was indeed recreatable, I still have the save file for when Gwydion is locked in his room with the magic stone in his possession, for anyone who needs it.

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by TriniMage » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 am

Silas wrote:Another strange thing. One time after being punished in the locked room, I teleported into Manannan's office while he was working (he was sitting down with a feathered pen). What I found funny was the fact that I opened his laboratory, opened his wand safe, yet Manannan remains oblivious to what I am doing (which I find funny).
So it is the fact that 'you should be in your room for a certain amount of time' that makes Manny ignore you...
I went up to the tower with all the illegal items that I had acquired and he ignored me...You went to his office with the illegal stone amd he ignored you...
Clearly the programming expects you to stay in the room for the period of punishment and we have done someting not anticipated by teleporting outside the room...

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by TriniMage » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 am

I went back to version 1.0 to see if the same applied...
This time I awoke Manny when he was asleep and he locked me in the room... I escaped with the stone and went back to see him still asleep. Waking him now only give a message about him awakening, but he never gets up if you have the stone... if you have no illegal items, he may sit up, talk to you but then goes back to sleep or may give you a punishment which then 'negates the lockd room...
***[EDIT] same situation in ver 1.1***

Silas
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Silas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Some more related discoveries:
- Not only can you leave your locked room with the teleportation spell, but also as a fly. Though conceivable that Gwydion can leave the room as a fly, the "stuck in your room" condition remains while doing so.
- As already mentioned earlier, leaving the mountainside will invoke Manannan to kill you, even in this stuck room condition. Since transforming into an eagle fails, and using the magic map fails, one would think it is impossible to leave during this stuck room condition, right? But that's not the case; I transformed into a fly, left my locked room, left the house, and then used the shortcut west of the mansion. I don't know if Manannan will ever poof his way outside of his mansion grounds in this stuck room condition, but if not, this is yet another addition to the bug.

Of course, progressing the story is still impossible even after using the fly spell and shortcut to leave the mansion, even with all the spells. I guess the possible solution from a programming perspective is to do the following:
1) If Gwydion uses the fly spell to leave his room, Manannan appears in the hall outside the room. "You'll use no magic around me, Gwydion!" - death sequence
2) If Gwydion uses the teleportation spell, Manannan will appear wherever Gwydion teleports to, same thing.
If this is done, there would be no new death sequence and prevention of buggy "locked room" status. Or, you could maybe bug the voice actors and programmers responsible for this to make a new death sequence when attempting to leave the locked room...

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by TriniMage » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:30 am

Silas wrote:Some more related discoveries:
I transformed into a fly, left my locked room, left the house, and then used the shortcut west of the mansion.
I have not been able to recreate this... As soon as I leave the room (in both Versions - 1.0 and 1.1) my spell wears off....

TriniMage
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by TriniMage » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 am

TriniMage wrote: I have not been able to recreate this... As soon as I leave the room (in both Versions - 1.0 and 1.1) my spell wears off....
That only happened because the game I used had 'limited time in the room'. When I used a game as soon as I was locked in the room I am able to explore LLewedor by escaping as a fly...
It seems that the fly spell only works as soon as you get locked up... if you delay it wears off just outside the door... If you allow the dor to open after the required time and then get locked in later the fly spell wears off as you exit the room and will not allow you to visit Llewedor...
The map still does not work...
The fly spell doesn not work... outside the room...
Interestingly you can return to the mansion but if you try to leave by walking Manny kill you in the hawk screen...