Alexander's Tavern Song

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

Alexander's Tavern Song

#1 Post by goatmeal » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Though it's been far, far too long since I last played KQ2+, I was just listening to its soundtrack and something caught my attention...

Absentmindedly, I started to sing along with the music for one particular track, but there was no singing in this version! It was then that I discovered something rather crafty in the score:

The music for Alexander's Tavern Lute Song (KQ3R) is the musical theme for the Door of Destiny (KQ2+) (!).

Admittedly, the lyrics to Alexander's song didn't make a whole lot of sense to me:

When you look upon me, you see only stone
But the soul left within me's my own
Touch me with song
My pain is gone

Surely Alexander/Gwydion's life up to that point was terribly abusive, his 'stony' exterior was a defense mechanism against the horrible conditions of his upbringing, and that there is a yearning desire deep inside of him, but it seemed a rather odd song to belt out in the Tavern...

However, knowing that the music and lyrics also derve a dual purpose by linking to the Door of Destiny -- and that the Door could also sing the same -- makes a lot more sense now.

Nice touch, Musically Inspired. Nice touch. ;)

P.S. Hurry up and finish the KQ3R Special Edition soundtrack, willya? :rollin

Aristocles
Royal Servant Status

Re: Alexander's Tavern Song

#2 Post by Aristocles » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 am

The music is that of the "Door of Destiny" from King's Quest II: VGA+. Basically, there is a rock door that has an ancient spirit in it. The door has a face and can speak, despite having a form of stone. AGDI worked in the plot of Graham giving the door three gem "keys" to open it, and in return the door would take him to Valanice.

It was probably not a reference to Alexander.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm

It could be taken both ways. The music is enchanted so maybe the fates deciding to pick that particular song for Alexander to sing is no coincidence. I'm afraid I can't take credit for this one, though. It was AGD2's or Wookie's idea initially and Tom actually made the track. I had nothing to do with that. I did write the version of Alex's lute playing when he doesn't take the musical talent potion!

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by goatmeal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:It could be taken both ways. The music is enchanted so maybe the fates deciding to pick that particular song for Alexander to sing is no coincidence. I'm afraid I can't take credit for this one, though. It was AGD2's or Wookie's idea initially and Tom actually made the track. I had nothing to do with that.
Were the lyrics specifically written for KQ3R?

Or were the lyrics originally written for an unused Door of Destiny song for KQ2+ and instead resurrected for use here in KQ3R?
MusicallyInspired wrote:I did write the version of Alex's lute playing when he doesn't take the musical talent potion!
:rollin

Sounds like a mish-mash combining off-key bits of "O Little Town Of Bethlehem" and "Frosty the Snowman" to me... ;)

MusicallyInspired

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes, they were written for KQ3R, to the best of my knowledge.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:01 am

Yeah, this was just a little cross-over/nod back to Romancing the Stones. I was wondering how long it'd be before someone noticed it.

I believe there's only one visual Easter Egg remaining to be discovered -- and that's because this egg is only triggered around a specific date of the year which hasn't occurred yet.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#7 Post by spacecadet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Yeah, this was just a little cross-over/nod back to Romancing the Stones. I was wondering how long it'd be before someone noticed it.
I commented on that in my "impressions" post from a few months ago. The musical cue is very memorable, and made even more easily recognizable by having had to sit through that unskippable cutscene (first conversation with the door) whenever replaying KQ2+ :rollin . And the lyrics are strangely touching. I don't think they have anything to do with Alexander's inner journey though; as MI says, the choice of music is a result of the music spell, so perhaps the door's lament is part of some repertoire of bardic lore that the spell can call upon.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I believe there's only one visual Easter Egg remaining to be discovered -- and that's because this egg is only triggered around a specific date of the year which hasn't occurred yet.
Ooh, any further hints on how/where to trigger it? Seeing as the "when" is in the roughly 6 months remaining til the anniversary of the release date. Probably the holidays.

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I don't think they have anything to do with Alexander's inner journey though; as MI says, the choice of music is a result of the music spell, so perhaps the door's lament is part of some repertoire of bardic lore that the spell can call upon.
Actually, I said the opposite.