No Pouch for Sleep Spell

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Plenair92
Peasant Status

No Pouch for Sleep Spell

#1 Post by Plenair92 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 am

In my online save file for this game, I saved right after waving the magic wand over the crushed acorn + nightshade for the deep sleep spell. Then, I realized I do not have the pouch in my inventory. Now, no matter what I do to the almost-finished concoction, the spell backfires. Is there anything I can do? I'm afraid I may have entered an unwinnable situation.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: No Pouch for Sleep Spell

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

The pouch can be purchased in the town. If you haven't gotten it, you can't finish that spell.

If you saved your game after you started that spell, you may be stuck. It is always a good idea to save to different files as you progress, that way if you find yourself in a deadend situation, you can restore one of your older saves and not have to go back to the beginning.

Plenair92
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Plenair92 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Yep, I have to start over from the beginning. At least it will go by way faster now that I know exactly what to do up to the point I got stuck. I learned that even advertising something as "no unwinnable scenarios" can still imply "...unless you run into a glitch or do something stupid". So, the joke's on me.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 am

Even in KQ1 or KQ2, you could still get an unwinnable save if you saved right at the end of a timed sequence or chase, giving you insufficient time to escape after loading. The idea is more that, as long as you're not in immediate danger, it's safe to save, since you can be sure you didn't unknowingly doom your game in some previous screen.

Unfortunately, in KQ3, the spell-casting sequences could be considered one big immediate danger sequence. While I often do keep just a single save in a game I know well, I'll still use several in KQ3 because of the spells and the timer.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm

We could have disabled saving once you started creating a spell, but then we would have had a ton of people complaining that they wanted to save after each step in case they made a mistake. :\

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

A potential solution would have been something like "You read ahead and find that you don't have all the components necessary for this spell."

Plenair92
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Plenair92 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:22 am

^^Personally, I would've preferred not being able to save after starting the spell preparations to getting what I did. Anyway, I started a new game recently and I won't make the same mistake twice.