Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Vel
Peasant Status

Close this poll

#601 Post by Vel » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:12 pm

When are you going to close this poll and announce the future remake?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Geez....................................................

#602 Post by Erpy » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:02 pm

I'm going to close this poll one year after it's been posted. That's in june. But I'm not going to announce a future project until:

1) We made our decision about it.

2) We're 100% sure it's going to be finished.

In other words; it could still take a while.

The Knight
King of Men

so..........................................................

#603 Post by The Knight » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:20 pm

Don't let this happen:
*3 years later*
AGD1: Decided on the next game yet?
AGD2:I don't know. Maybe we should toss a coin.
AGD1:We did that for KQ2:RTS and QFG2. Lets come up with something else.
AGD2:Ummmm. How about Wookie assigns the games with a number. And we guess a number and we do that game.
AGD1:You want Wookie to do that?!
AGD2:You're right. Maybe we could bet on how many bottle Wookie can chug before he collapes.
AGD1:You're on.
:lol :b :lol

The Knight

The Avatar
Knight Status

Re: Future remake?

#604 Post by The Avatar » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:19 pm

Regarding any 'future remakes'.. are there any Lessons Learned, the AGDs have come across while working on KQ1,KQ2 & especially, QFG2?? What Trials have you faced Game Development wise that changes how you'll approach your next remake? (no matter which one you choose?)

Haba na haba hujaza kibaba!

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

Re: Close this poll

#605 Post by Kurdt » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:36 pm

I've been for Conquests of Camelot since last year, and my stance hasn't changed this year. I think that simply remaking KQs until you run out of them only caters to that group of people. Sure, many people love KQ, but there are also people who love SQ, LSL, LB, and yes, Conquests of Camelot. Personally, COC is my favorite game out of the choices, so I stand by wanting it remade. Besides, it's a very obscure game that could use some attention by Tierra. It would be wonderful to see.

-----------------------
Cris Skelton
Newsletter and Plot Writer
Kings Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining

"Battler for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!"

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#606 Post by Gronagor » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:15 am

I kinda forgot about Conquests of Camelot! I think I would too be more appreciative of a remake for that game.

Perhaps if someone could 'rip' those backgrounds (for reference) we could start working on the graphics and give Tierra a bit of a push. :)

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: so......................................................

#607 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:46 am

KQ3 all the way babe! Image

The Majority of the community and adoring fans have claimed KQ3VGA for the next remake, I would really like a KQ3 Remake, then perhaps Laura Bow. Then KQ4. :smokin

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

Order...

#608 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:22 am

I'd rather see a plot rewrite of King's Quest I before Laura Bow or King's Quest IV. The game, as it is, is probably the weakest of all King's Quest games. It doesn't contribute at all to any of the three overall plotlines of the King's Quest series, and thus, stands out as a mere thirty minute treasure hunt for the novice adventurer. It needs to be connected to the rest of the series.

I'd love to see the Father be behind the devastation of Daventry and the theft of the three great treasures, myself. The presence of the Society of the Black Cloak would have an outstanding effect on the whole of the King's Quest series. The first three games would become a true plot trilogy, rather than a series of seemingly unrelated adventures connected by mere relations to the royal family of Daventy as Sierra's original productions made them out to be. Of course, too much about the Cloakies couldn't be revealed, because that would spoil King's Quest II. But even so, can't you just see it? :D

And that damn dwarf needs more dialogue, too.

King's Quest I VGA 3.0
Quest for Glory VGA
King's Quest III VGA
King's Quest I VGA Advanced

Yes.

TakariFreak
Seto Kaiba Fangirl

Re: Close this poll

#609 Post by TakariFreak » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:36 am

Sorry if this has been asked, I forgot what all 31 pages of this thread have talked about, there's to much stuff!

Besides Royal Quest and Space Quest 2, were there any other games Tierra has SERIOUSLY considered remaking, but didn't (or cancelled it?)?

Also, Will the results of this poll be taken into consideration for the next remake, or it it just here to humor us? Or a bit of both?

Again, sorry if these have been asked before! it's hard to keep track of 31 pages of discussion...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#610 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:43 am

Umm...I don't think so. The poll was created last year to get a general impression of what the public would want. After KQ2+ came out, KQ3's votes skyrocketed. We might do something with the info, but nothing can be guaranteed yet.

Daeyr
Knight Status

KQ1+....?

#611 Post by Daeyr » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:28 pm

I don't think it'd be necessary; I mean, the basic idea behind KQ1 is to start the series, set it up. And it did! You can't *really* say it didn't contribute to the series - without it, there is no series! It gets Graham into the kingship, sets up the land of Daventry, it starts everything.

I would say that prior to the remake, KQ2 was the most lacking, because it truly had the potential for a lot more and didn't deliver, really. Here, go marry this chick you've never met. Yeah, the one in the tower, oh and get some keys before you do that. Okay, see ya in a week Graham, buh bye!

I don't think KQ1 needs much added, personally.

~Katie
King's Quest 9: Co-Writer

Odyssey Weyr:
WS Daeyr and blue Montath
Candidate/Apprn Seacraft Wylie

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: Order...

#612 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:48 pm

Hmmm.... all of the background stuff for King's Quest 1 has already been set up. KQ9.org has an interesting timeline that pretty much sums up all of it. You should read it if you haven't already...

If The Father was behind all of the stuff in KQ1, wouldn't he of prevented Sir Graham from becoming king? Wouldn't he of put himself in position to take the throne? I agree that KQ1 doesn't really need any plot improvements. Besides, rewriting the plot would require rescripting most of the game. Tierra's time could be better spent making other games IMO.

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

King's Quest I

#613 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:46 pm

I don't think it'd be necessary; I mean, the basic idea behind KQ1 is to start the series, set it up. And it did! You can't *really* say it didn't contribute to the series - without it, there is no series! It gets Graham into the kingship, sets up the land of Daventry, it starts everything.
I don't see it as a vital game, as it is. A knight ventures through an apparently spherical country where he'll end up back where he started if he just travels north for long enough in search of three magical treasures that mean everything to the king and the two other people that reside in the land. Some plot. Nevermind the fact that game is nothing more than a thirty minute treasure hunt, features no three dimensional characters, and makes absolutely no mention of why a sorcerer, witch, and dwarf decided to rob the king of the three magical treasures at the same time and then gave them away to a dragon, giant, and leprechaun king.

IMO, King's Quest II VGA is a better game at setting up the series than King's Quest I. At least that one had a real plot and a main character you could actually relate to. Not trying to sound harsh or anything...
If The Father was behind all of the stuff in KQ1, wouldn't he of prevented Sir Graham from becoming king? Wouldn't he of put himself in position to take the throne? I agree that KQ1 doesn't really need any plot improvements. Besides, rewriting the plot would require rescripting most of the game. Tierra's time could be better spent making other games IMO.
It wouldn't be too hard to work the Father and his motives into the game. He wouldn't, of course, be able to make an actual appearance. That would spoil the grandeur of King's Quest II. But a cryptic note here, a bit of overheard dialogue there, and it would be viable.

Besides, from Manannan's note to Hagatha in King's Quest II, I get the impression that the Father has been looking for Legenimor's Item of Power for quite some time. It would be naive to think that the disasters which befell Daventry a mere year before King's Quest II weren't of interest to the Father, or that he had absolutely nothing to do with them.

Let's see, kingdom on the brink of ruination, depressed king questioning his own ability to rule, willing to do anything to rectify the plight his people have had to endure, even if it means turning over the Item to an evil, cloaked figure -- sounds a bit like a certain scene from King's Quest II VGA, to me. A situation the Father would be quick to take advantage of, to be sure, if not having orchestrated it from the start, as was the case with the three-headed dragon's torching of the kingdom. And, of course, there are other, more original ways to work the Cloakies into the game as well. But that would be for Wookie to think up, not me. :)

I just don't see how you can be against the utter transformation of a mediocore game into an epic that would add to the quality of not just King's Quest II, but King's Quest III, V, and VI, as well. Especially not when most of the work -- the puzzles, the scripting, the scenery, the characters -- is already done.

And you can't say that dwarf doesn't need more dialogue, anyway. :b

Edited by: The Infamous Mecha Sonic at: 4/29/03 4:06:30 pm

Jafar
Super Star

#614 Post by Jafar » Sun May 04, 2003 12:13 am

Kings Quest I is great how it is. Its my favorite just because its a simple treasure hunt. (Maybe we should make another poll...)

Hows it feel to be a frozen pop?

optic
Knight Status

Re: KQ1+....?

#615 Post by optic » Sun May 04, 2003 3:05 pm

Well, Kings Quest 1 is alright to me, and what's done is done. There's not much point in changing the plot and everything...:rolleyes

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

Re: Future remake?

#616 Post by VampD3 » Sun May 04, 2003 5:38 pm

It would ruin it if you changed the plot!! I think anyway you can't just change it :p :D

The Knight
King of Men

I agree................................................

#617 Post by The Knight » Sun May 04, 2003 8:50 pm

I agree. King's Quest 1 is fine the way it is. And I have idea's for my King's Quest game for Daventry and some of the NPC in King's quest 1.

The Knight

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#618 Post by Angelus3K » Sun May 04, 2003 8:56 pm

Whats your KQ game gonna be called?

"Mr. Anderson! Surprised to see me??" - Agent Smith 2.0 - Matrix Reloaded

The Knight
King of Men

secret......................................................

#619 Post by The Knight » Sun May 04, 2003 9:04 pm

Ummm. That's a secret right now. But Kurt and I are thinking of doing a couple of prequels to King's Quest 3.

The Knight

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

Aw...

#620 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Wed May 07, 2003 5:25 pm

Aw, you're all a bunch of fuddy-duddies.

Sure, it's fine the way it is. But that's all it is. Fine. Give me one reason why the first game in the series shouldn't be as spectacular and thick in plot as the second.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

Re: I agree................................................

#621 Post by Kurdt » Thu May 08, 2003 10:49 am

Cuz we like it that way!!! :p ;)

-----------------------
Cris Skelton
Newsletter and Plot Writer
Kings Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining

"Battler for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!"

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#622 Post by Erpy » Thu May 08, 2003 12:13 pm

The three treasures weren't lost around the same time. A couple of years passed between the loss of each of the treasures. The dragon guarded the mirror for the sorceror (says so in the manual) and the dwarf hid the shield in a hole that appearantly was connected to the Leprechaun cave.

If you read the introduction stories of KQ1 and KQ2, you'll find that KQ2's intro is kinda bland, but KQ1's introduction is more sophisticated.

Anyway, I don't think any of us would have lots of motivation to pick up KQ1VGA again. Completely rescripting the whole project would get old quickly.

Broomie
The Enigma

Re: secret..................................................

#623 Post by Broomie » Fri May 09, 2003 11:51 pm

KQ1VGA is very fine as it is, but I still would like a KQ0 game... Maybe you could forget 'The Wizard and the Princess' story and replace it with an adventure with King Edward, I'm not sure what you can make up about him though... get Cadbury Wookie to make up a cool story, take some extracts from the KQ9.org timeline. :D

"Who am I? I'm Spiderman" Peter Parker

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Aw...

#624 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue May 13, 2003 6:15 am

Why does everyone think that 'The Wizard and the Princess' is part of the KQ series and/or storyline? It's just another game.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: I agree................................................

#625 Post by Erpy » Tue May 13, 2003 9:45 am

Maybe the facts that Roberta has designed it and that it takes place in Serenia have something to do with it.