Future remake? (archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Future remake? (archived)

#1 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:15 pm

We were wondering, which old Sierra game (AGI or SCI parser interface) people would most like to remade most of all?

Could everyone please vote for or list their first preference (only) here? Thanks!

The choices in the poll below:

And the other 2 that wouldn't fit are:

The Black Cauldron VGA
Codename: Iceman VGA

If you want to vote for either cauldron or iceman, please just make a post in this thread and write your choice in there. Or if there is another unlisted game that is the FIRST in a series that hasn't been updated to VGA, you can vote for that too. (eg. KQ4 isn't listed because KQ3 would need to be remade first)

This poll is a test. We're trying to determine something from the results we receive... start voting! :)

DasJan
Royal Servant Status

Re: Future remake?

#2 Post by DasJan » Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:02 pm

Hey ho! What a poll!

I think KQ3 is your holy duty (don't take me too serious ;) ), so I voted what else I'd really like to see: Larry 2 :)

Das Jan

---
www.dasjan.de | www.adventure-treff.de

TheMnomen
Peasant Status

#3 Post by TheMnomen » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:15 pm

GEEZ! That's a tough one. It has to be either Black Cauldron or Conquests of Camelot. I chose Camelot.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#4 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:22 pm

King's Quest 3 all the way!

~Wolfgang

Fender178
Knight Status

#5 Post by Fender178 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:48 pm

yeah here we go kq3 here we go.

i would like to see kq3 remade.

tommie
Peasant Status

#6 Post by tommie » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:09 pm

Well, KQ3 would be the most logical decision, although it would be nice to have LB1VGA too. :)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#7 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:10 pm

Kings Quest, While an awesome series, has already had two remakes at the hands of Tierra. I think that you should go at least 3 games (including the secrect project, given that it ISN'T KQ3, and QFG2) before making another one. Out of all of those choices, I say Camelot all the way. That game was just magnificient!

Illegal javascript event tags or url parameters detected.

Naturette
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Naturette » Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:43 am

Gold Rush is not on the list.

Robin Gravel

Naturette rules. Oui monsieur.

Edited by: Naturette at: 6/24/02 7:45:33 pm

TheMnomen
Peasant Status

#9 Post by TheMnomen » Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:32 am

Heh heh. Yeah Goldrush was pretty cool.

I like the KQ series and all, but it would be nice for a change. KQ has had a lot of attention with Tierra, and I would think maybe another game would be a wiser decision before continuing the KQ series.

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

#10 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:32 am

You guys have to do King's Quest III. The Colonel's Bequest would be fantastic as well.

FullJee
Peasant Status

#11 Post by FullJee » Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:08 am

Hey where is Space Quest 2? I know someones is already doing it but I've see that if a Space Quest should be remake, a lot of fan will want it made by Tierra.

Chris
Peasant Status

re

#12 Post by Chris » Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:55 am

Yeah, I'd also vote for Space Quest 2 (unless you don't want to do it because of the other guy working on it... in which case Space Quest 3 :) )

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

#13 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:00 am

Space Quest II has already been taken. It would be neither gentlemanly nor wise to compete with Kippesoep in a race to see who could create Space Quest II VGA first and whose version of it would be the better one. Besides, Kippesoep's already a third done with his remake, and there's no reason to believe he can't do just as professional a job as Tierra. :)

Space Quest III would be nice, though. What's more, it was a very short game, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to finish.

Edited by: The Infamous Mecha Sonic at: 6/25/02 1:01:43 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#14 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:35 am

Alright, I guess now is as good a time as any to announce this. The secret project was Space Quest2 VGA. We'd started working on it for a while before Kippesoep announced his own SQ2 remake. When he did annouce it, we decided to put our own SQ2VGA on hold.

Also, the guy we got to help us with programming left under mysterious circumstances, so after that, we didn't have a large enough team to allocate to 3 different projects. SQ2VGA (AKA the secret project) has been on hold ever since. We'll most likely cancel it and work on a new remake instead, hence the reason for this poll.

We were also going to ask Kippesoep if he wanted the use the animations and backgrounds that we had made for the game, but I believe he is using a different resolution than we were.

As for why SQ3 isn't mentioned on the list above, it wouldn't make sense to release a VGA version of SQ3 without having a VGA version of SQ2:)

Edited by: Anonymous Game Creator 2 at: 6/25/02 6:36:29 am

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:32 pm

AGD2 is right. We talked about it a little while ago. After the mystery scripter left, we were unsure about what to do with this. I mentioned that Kippesoep wasn't a newbie in game design and thus it was very likely that he would actually finish his project. (not to be unfair, but a lot of people who start a fan project end up discontinuing it after losing interest)

This is the problem with secret remakes ,I guess. Neither we nor Kippesoep announced the project as soon as we started it, so we were basically working on our projects without even knowing about the other.

The 1/8 screenshot was actually the corner of Roger's watch. (the one you use to communicate with the chief of XOS4) Sneaky trick, wasn't it?

This decision isn't easy, but the departure of the secret scripter meant that SQ2VGA wasn't going to be finished until after QG2VGA's release. And as Sonic mentioned, it wouldn't be gentlemanly (is that a real word?) to try and compete with his project, assuming we'd be able to finish before him.

Of course, Kippesoep, the fact that we're likely to cancel it gives you a bit of an obligation to finish your own project.

(hoo boy, I'm sure this news is gonna spread FAST)

Edited by: Erpy at: 6/25/02 3:11:03 pm

DasJan
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by DasJan » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:32 pm

HOLYMOLY! What an announcement! Or is "un-announcement" a better Word? It's good to finally know what the secret project was. Will you publish the graphics you already did for the game if Kippesoep doesn't want them? I like the idea of a SQ3VGA also, although there would be some kind of missing continuity.

Das Jan

---
www.dasjan.de | www.adventure-treff.de

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#17 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:58 pm

Wow...that's kind of a shock! Both the secret project announced, and then announced that it is going to be cancelled in the same day.

Well, again, it's honourable of Tierra to back down for the sake of Kippesoep, as well as being able to admit when something goes wrong, rather than keeping fans in the lurch. This news, while sad it some ways, is just one more example of the professionalism of Tierra. That's why you have, and will always have, loyal fans like us here on the boards no matter what you decide to do or don't do. Kudos to you guys!

And to tell you the truth, and this is just my personal preference, there is no game you could have announced as the secret project that could make me more excited than QFG2VGA. I've always loved that game, even it its EGA state, that to be able to see and play a point-and-click VGA version of that game would be heaven on earth. And after seeing the great job you guys did with KQ1VGA, I couldn't think of anybody else I'd want to remake QFG2 than Tierra. Then again, I've always been partial to the QFG series as a whole, so feel free to ignore my ramblings. :)

~Wolfgang

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:10 pm

Thanks Wolfgang. I hope everyone takes the news the way you do. I was really wondering how our community members were gonna react to this.

As AGD2 said, since Kippesoep's engine uses the 320x240 resolution, it's likely that you'll get the so-called letterbox-effect if he were to use pictures drawn for 320x200.

This is just a personal opinion of mine, Das Jan, but showing a screenshot of a game that's not likely to see the light of day is like showing a tasty cookie to someone and then eating it in front of his face.

Edited by: Erpy at: 6/25/02 3:12:52 pm

TheMnomen
Peasant Status

#19 Post by TheMnomen » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:57 pm

Ah well... there's still the QFG 2 VGA keeping me majorly hyped up. You almost scared me for a second Wolfgang. At first I thought you were saying the GFG2 VGA was cancelled. Then I read the posts above (I do that sometimes) and breathed a sigh of relief :) Man, the QFG 2 remake is going to be sensational! That is my ultimately favorite game ever created, not only for the PC, but out of every other console as well. Tierra, you guys rule!

Fender178
Knight Status

#20 Post by Fender178 » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:06 pm

heres what tierra might do. they might do after they are done with kq2vga. go on to thier next project which is qfg2vga after thats done they might go to kq3 or any other games.

The Infamous Mecha Sonic
Knight Status

#21 Post by The Infamous Mecha Sonic » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:23 am

Very interesting. I'll admit, I had thought Space Quest II was one of the least likely games that Tierra might remake; I guess I was wrong.

FullJee
Peasant Status

***** 15th message

#22 Post by FullJee » Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:33 am

I hate write a VERY VERY VERY important reply to finally see he had fall in the 15th message, the last message of the page, those message are the less checked message :( so if Erpy or an AGD see this message, go see the 15th message.

Thank for your comprehension. ;)

Chris
Peasant Status

re:

#23 Post by Chris » Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:15 am

Out of interest, how much of the game had been completed? If kippesoap was for some reason to decide to cancel his project, would you be able to pick yours back up at a later date to continue it?

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: re:

#24 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:03 am

I was wondering the same thing as Chris, just out of curiosity. I'd imagine that they weren't too far along, as AGD2 said, their scripter bailed out and I doubt they would cancel the project if it was really near completion.

And FullJee, um, take it easy, man! I'm sure Kippesoep's remake of SQ2 will be top-notch (pressure's on now, eh, Kippesoep? ;) ), but you really shouldn't get that worked up over news such as this. There's a lot more to enjoy in life, and even in video games. I'd hate to see you do anything drastic because of this news! Go play KQ1VGA some more and anticipate QFG2VGA. And whatever happens, happens, right? Everything will work out well, so don't worry, ya?! :)

~Wolfgang

fov
Peasant Status

PQ2

#25 Post by fov » Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:32 am

i voted for PQ2 (and it looks like i'm the only one!) it was one of my favorite games as a kid -- i liked KQ3 also, but not as much.

:) emily