Anyone interested in this remake? (Archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Zeus
Knight Status

remake

#101 Post by Zeus » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:56 pm

muzlack i liked the blur filter , you used.I am a fan of this filter too, and i use it in my pics. ;)

The story sounds to me very promising, because as soon as a team is established with good communication, the possibility of dropping the project is minimum.

People who work alone, or teams who cannot communicate each other well (see chapter : egoism-"it will be done my way etc") is the big problem.

Storm, as muzlack said he did not devote much time for the pics.Give him a break.I am sure the final result will (and MUST of course) be equal to kq2vga, before release.

The LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

Re: looks.............................................

#102 Post by The LucasFan » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:57 pm

@NavyNuke

To tell you the truth: "This is not my war." |I

I'm not fan enough, to remake a game, I have never played. The only Sierra-games I really enjoyed were mainly Dynamix-games. Let's face it: I'm a LucasFan. :\

If I ever decide to make something sierra-like, it would be a parody about Sierra (or Tierra ;) ), not a remake...

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#103 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:44 pm

LucasFan, that's cool I guess. To each his own. It's just that you have such talent, I thought it would be a great opportunity to get more of your work seen by the public. If this remake turns out anywhere as good as KQ2:VGA (and I'm sure it will), I'm halfway expecting to get job offers from computer game companies...

About releasing the intro as a demo, it would be fine by me, but I have to get the okay from my teammates, and now Tierra, since I'm going to give all the work we have done so far to them... Like I said, I have mentioned it to them, just waiting on a reply....

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#104 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:00 pm

i havent played KQ3 either (gasp!). I have played a bit of it and i know the story and everything and how it goes and who Gwydion is etc, but i have never played it through. It's too bad you won't be joining us. you have amazing talent there. Oh well, we'll somehow manage. :)

I also agree with navynuke about releasing the intro. I got no argument with it.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

The Knight
King of Men

while.......................................................

#105 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:02 pm

While we wait to see if the intro will be released. The KQ3 team is waiting for Wookie's screenplay. Hopefully both will happen soon.

Let us know when you have the screenplay.

The Knight

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#106 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:02 pm

Hate to temper enthusiasm here, but the project hasn't officially started yet. We'll first need to discuss it among the rest of the team some more and if everyone agrees it's a good idea, we'll have to "screen" anyone who's gonna be involved. THEN we can create an additional development forum and pass the available material (including the screenplay) to those involved.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

I agree with Erpy...

#107 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:07 pm

As Erpy said, the "Tierra KQ3 team" has not officially been created. It's still just an idea... although I am very anxious to get started on the project, I do see the importance of properly screening all involved to make sure that we are all trustworthy. It would be horrible if Wookie's screenplay was leaked to the public before the game was released. I have decide to resume work on my KQ3 project while I await Tierra's decision. I will continue to release updates on our progress in the mean time also... You guys have got to see these character animations that Muzlack is sending me. They are awesome! The last one he sent is excellent in my opinion. Of course you will have to wait until we release something else... you can check the quality of the characters in the screenshot released earlier in the thread to get an idea though...

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

The Knight
King of Men

Okay, okay........................................

#108 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:24 pm

Okay, I understand that the "KQ3 team" Hasen't started yet. But, I think it's gonna become official. And I whould personally hunt down anyone to released Wookie's screenplay without permission from Wookie and the AGD's.
You guys have got to see these character animations that Muzlack is sending me. They are awesome! The last one he sent is excellent in my opinion. Of course you will have to wait until we release something else... you can check the quality of the characters in the screenshot released earlier in the thread to get an idea though...
Please release a demo.

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: Okay, okay........................................

#109 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:18 pm

Did Tierra ever release a KQ2 demo?????? :p

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Okay, okay........................................

#110 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:35 pm

It stinks that I'm part of the team, or this would be a lot funnier.

IS THERE GOING TO BE A VOICEPACK!?!?!

The Knight
King of Men

But.....................................................

#111 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:37 pm

But you started by releasing demos. :b :b :b :b

At least, release a demo of the intro. PLEASE!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Talk to everyone else on the team about at least releasing a demo of intro.

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: But.....................................................

#112 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:05 pm

The demos were a ploy I tell you!!! A trap!!! It was all part of my grand scheme! A plot to suck people in to help me work on a project that otherwise would have turned out very mediocre. AND IT WORKED!!!! I trapped an artist and a musician!!!!! :evil :evil :evil

The Knight
King of Men

#113 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:11 pm

The demos were a ploy I tell you!!! A trap!!! It was all part of my grand scheme! A plot to suck people in to help me work on a project that otherwise would have turned out very mediocre. AND IT WORKED!!!! I trapped an artist and a musician!!!!! :evil :evil :evil
I would have volunteered, but, right now I'm not a artist, and will probably never be a musician. All I can really do is testing(and you can do that yourself, Unfornately for me.). So, I'll just have to wait for the release.

*sniff* :(

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#114 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:13 pm

Does that mean you are volunteering to be a beta tester??? ;)

MusicallyInspired

#115 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:14 am

IS THERE GOING TO BE A VOICEPACK!?!?!
i would gladly do one (not caring how much dialogue there is)if i only had the people and good equipment. sadly i have neither, so someone else will have to if one is made. i think it would be great though.

The Knight
King of Men

Well.....................................................

#116 Post by The Knight » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:42 am

Does that mean you are volunteering to be a beta tester??? ;)
YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES YES!

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

About the demo...

#117 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:43 am

I have talked it over with my teammates, and we've decided that we will release one demo, and it will be a revamped intro for the old KQ3:AGI. Muzlack does not want to release it with it's current background, as it is one of the "20 minute" pieces... he is going to completely redo that scene. MusicallyInspired also wants to touch up his work some more. We are trying to get this as close to Tierra quality as possible. The point of this intro is not to give a preview of KQ3, but to try to relax those of you who are worried about the quality of work we are capable of... Also, this will be the only demo, so don't even ask for another. We don't want this to turn into something like Hero6, where we release tons of demos, but don't ever release a game.

That being said, the work on the new background and the touch up on the music is in progress as I type this. Once I have these things, I am going to rescript the intro. We will release a demo, but it may take a little while. Please be patient.

The Knight
King of Men

Understood..........................................

#118 Post by The Knight » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:15 am

We don't want this to turn into something like Hero6, where we release tons of demos, but don't ever release a game.
I totally agree with that. I never want that to happen.
That being said, the work on the new background and the touch up on the music is in progress as I type this. Once I have these things, I am going to rescript the intro. We will release a demo, but it may take a little while. Please be patient.
No problem. Won't be too hard, because I'm starting to learn to use AGS

The Knight

nzgoat213
Peasant Status

Re: Understood..........................................

#119 Post by nzgoat213 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:14 am

Cool Cant Wait Till The Demo Is Released. :D

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Understood..........................................

#120 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:21 pm

I have just finished spending about 3-4 hours working on a nicer "outside house" image. Now, there are a few things that I still need to fix, that I'll ask the AGDs about. We'll be posting the demo probably within a day or two, I think.<br><br>That being said, take a look at this image:

Now, for the questions:

AGDs:

Is this what you would call Tierra quality?

Also, this is 640x400. I would like to resize it down, now. If I resize via bicubic, it'll be pretty blurry. If I resize via Bilinear, it will be a little "scratched" if you will. Lastly, and most definately least, If I resize via nearest neighbor, it plain just looks bad. What do you use?

adeyke

Hmmm...

#121 Post by adeyke » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:36 pm

I'm torn.

I could compare it to Tierra's work and the VGA sierra games and give a highly critical assessment of the image with specific statements about what could be improved and what looks good.

Or I could write that all off as stylistic differences, appreciate the effort that went into it, compare it to the original graphics and say it's very good for what it is.

I think I shall do neither and instead just wait and let one more eloquent than I give the response.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Hmmm...

#122 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:30 pm

No, go ahead adeyke. I'm really wanting comments on this. It's one of the best I've done. I can really only think of one other screen I've ever done better than this, but I don't want to post it here. What do you think needs to be improved? Overall, I think it's close to Tierra, but not quite there yet. But I can't put my thumb on it!

Zeus
Knight Status

Re: Anyone interested in this remake?

#123 Post by Zeus » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:12 pm

sorry . . a mistake

Edited by: adventurer76 at: 1/20/03 2:58:19 pm

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#124 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:04 pm

I posted this image to help compare Muzlack's work to Tierra's. I would apprieciate it if people used constructive critism here, with no flaming. I believe that Muzlack is capable of making some really awesome backgrounds, he just needs some improving. I personally don't think that this background is quite up to Tierra's standards.

The best part of the picture is the background off in the distance. It looks like you put quite a bit of time into the detail of that part. I also really like the detail of the rocks. I think you should add this amount of detail to the entire picture.

For instance, Tierra's dirt path has texture to it, the one you made is just painted brown. Also, the window on the left side of the house looks kinda funny to me. It looks like it is facing out the front of the house, but seems that it should point at least somewhat to the west. I also think that the you might put boards onto the chicken coop. Right now, it looks kinda like it is made of dried mud. Your sky looks pretty good, but I think it might use a little more work. Maybe more detail to your clouds or something. The chicken coop fence and gate need quite a bit of work. They seem like they don't fit with the rest of the picture... Maybe add shingle to the roof, like the one in the bottom of the town picture. All in all, I think the picture lacks the detail that Tierra puts into their backgrounds.

This is a lot of suggestions, so I don't want you to think that you didn't do a good job. It looks honestly very good. Keep at it and you really will have something here. You've come a very long way since you started, and I don't want you to get demotivated.

As for everyone else, please use constructive criticism. Tell him what you like about the picture and what you feel needs improving. He is trying his hardest, and I think he can pull this off with a bit more practice.

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team."

MusicallyInspired

#125 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:10 pm

one thing i thought might improve the picture is actual visible stone bricks on the house instead of just all grey. little things like that add to the detail i guess. i also agree with the shingles. there are also a couple jagged and noticeable pixel edges but im sure that can be easily fixed.

great job, muzlack keep it up.