Anyone interested in this remake? (Archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

adeyke

Hmmm...

#151 Post by adeyke » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:00 am

I think it's better now. :)

One thing to note is that shading should have a reason. It's from where the sun is obstructed. If something has seemingly arbitrary shading, it gives it the impression of having a 3D shape. For rocks and terrain and such, this can be good. But on the façade of a house, this looks out of place, as it's supposed to be flat. ;)

The building is really much, much better than it was in the first version. :) The picture can still be greatly improved, though. The sky, for example, is still entirely unchanged...

One technique I read about is to draw the picture, then edit it until it looks good, and then scrap the whole thing and redraw it from the start with the knowledge gained from the editing. I think this could help the final image, but it would also be a lot of extra work. *shrugs*.

*wants to become an artistic consultant/QA for the project. :p

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Hmmm...

#152 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:32 am

Hey, adeyke. I seriously think you should! If it's ok with Tierra, it would take a lot of pressure off AGD1, cause I'll be asking a lot of these questions at least for the first 5 or so backgrounds. I added in a few things to make the house look "rich". I did some more things to make shading flat. I also fixed the fence a bit. Working on the ground. Also, I bet, by the time we get started on the *real* project, I will have drawn this one over. Thanks a lot for the feedback. Will post near-final image when I return from work. Thanks for the help, guys!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Hmmm...

#153 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:46 am

wow Muzlack, it is definitly better than it first was!

one thing i agree with Knight tho is the dirt. it kind of just looks like you used the cloud tool in Photoshop. seems to mee that there just needs to be more detail in it. like noticible particles. like you have to be able to look at it and say to yourself "I KNOW thats dirt!". little pebbles and small rocks maybe. not too big.

and the door. something like another square inside it that borders it. like its indented. you know what front doors on a house look like with the 4 indented squares. it needs something like that with maybe just one big one for the whole door. hard to explain. something to keep in mind would be that this is the WIZARD's abode. he rules over Llewdor. the house must reflect that elegance. (im acting like i know what im talking about lol. i use the same basic principle for creating music, so..)

i also think the bricks need to be on the tower part. ppl DO use bricks for rounded towers. look at castles. :) it would just need a tad bit of rounding thats all.

but overall its excellent with just a tad bit of tweaking left.

EDIT: didnt realise you had already replied and done more work when i made this reply. just lettn ya know

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

Edited by:MusicallyInspired at: 1/20/03 11:47:30 pm

BeetleB
Royal Servant Status

Picture

#154 Post by BeetleB » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:11 am

Hi,

I like the picture, along with all the improvements. I think everything's been said, but:

Why on Earth are you guys so picky about the dirt? It looked fine right in the beginning.

adeyke

Because...

#155 Post by adeyke » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:29 am

It's better to criticize what is good than to leave what could be improved uncriticized. ;) I think even the first image could have been considered okay. However, it's now much better than it was at the start. One should not be content with mediocrity. :)

And I do hope my comments actually make sense despite the fact that I myself am not an artist... I really doubt I could do better. I'm just good at finding faults in things. ;)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Because...

#156 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:26 am

yes, you indeed are. :) to be honest, we'd need somebody like you or at most 2 ppl to constructively criticize the artwork. we obviously cant release every single background for everyone to comment on. that would ruin the game. ill have to talk to my team about something like that.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

The Knight
King of Men

I loved too........................................

#157 Post by The Knight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:41 am

I'd love to be able to help with that. Because, we're trying to go for Tierra quality here. And to do that, it whould help to have a few people opinions on them.

I volunteer if you'll have me.

The Knight

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: I loved too........................................

#158 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:10 am

This thread seems to have snowballed. Ok, where to begin... Firstly, when I mentioned using this game as a base I meant just the programming/scripting aspect of it.

As far as other departments go... like Erpy said, this is yet to be decided as we want to select the team ourselves via an application process where people can apply for certain jobs and we can select who we think is appropriate for each part. Sorry, this should have been made clearer in my initial post.

Typically, a team should probably have no more than 5-6 members tops, and since the AGD's, Tom and Wookie will be involved in this project too, we don't want this KQ3 team to be too large. Only the necessary workers are required, since other posts containing opinions and critiques will begin to clutter the work environment and demotivate people.

We still need to figure out the specifics of how this is all going to work, and I must stress again that at this stage it's not official.... it's entirely experimental. We'll keep you posted!

Edited by: Anonymous Game Creator 2 at: 1/21/03 2:11:10 am

The Knight
King of Men

Just in case........................................

#159 Post by The Knight » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:13 am

We still need to figure out the specifics of how this is all going to work, and I must stress again that at this stage it's not official.... it's entirely experimental. We'll keep you posted!
Since its still not official, no restrictions are actually there except for those that the KQ3 team have given.

The Knight

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Just in case........................................

#160 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:24 am

Well, this is the point I'm trying to make... there is no KQ3 team yet, since we haven't assembled one.

If a game is going to be made, then it's going to be a lot of work and needs to be taken seriously by all involved. Since this thread is causing confusion, I'm going to lock it now.

When we have figured everything out we'll post more information on this. Thanks for your patience.