Anyone interested in this remake? (Archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: Timer

#26 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:57 pm

Hmmm....Does this mean that if we were running around with the idea of remaking KQ3, we can stop now?
No No No No No.... that is one of the biggest things that makes me think twice about going through with this project. I want Tierra to remake it because I want more of the story from KQ2:RTS. Even if I (we, if anyone else jumps on board) finish the remake of KQ3 and do an absolutely awesome job, I still want Tierra to remake it also, because I don't have Wookie writing for me, and therefore can't carry on the story he started.

Edit: How do you quote things? I just copied and pasted another quote and that is what I got...

Edited by: navynuke04 at: 1/9/03 6:02:39 pm

adeyke

To quote...

#27 Post by adeyke » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:20 am

Put [quote] before it and [/quote] after it.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: To quote...

#28 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:38 am

Hmmm....Does this mean that if we were running around with the idea of remaking KQ3, we can stop now?
Just testing....

Edited by: navynuke04 at: 1/9/03 11:39:37 pm

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: To quote...

#29 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:16 am

Zeus
Knight Status

Re: Timer

#30 Post by Zeus » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:10 pm

by the way i downloaded the mp3 orchestrical conversions of the two themes of kq3, and they were just . .amazing . . . i suggest you taking a look of these at quest studios.

LovelyPearl
Peasant Status

*S*

#31 Post by LovelyPearl » Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:14 pm

If i can get my game working ..i would love to see it *S* Image Image Image

Hey if anybody wants to try to help me with my problem ..Go to bug and tec post area ..i posted the problem there .*PLEASE FACE* hahahah Image Image Image Image Image Image

If You Dont Have A Smile...You Can Have One Of Mine....*S*

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Update on demo...

#32 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:32 am

For those of you interested, I had some time to work on the remake. I have a lot of the house done, though it is still pretty rough. I have not implemented a lot of things yet (wizard, some chores, walkbehind areas, etc.), but it is playable. Take a look and let me know what you think so far.

Oh yeah... sorry for the annoying intro. I'll change it around so that you can skip through it if you want.

Thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/navynuke04/KQ3Rem.zip

adeyke

Hmmm...

#33 Post by adeyke » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:12 pm

As the clickability thing is still far from complete, a comment on that would be unnecessary Image.

I think the single change that would make the most difference in how good the game looks is to synchronize the walking animation with the movement.

Wolfgang Abenteuer

Re: Hmmm...

#34 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:08 pm

That's looks cool, navynuke!

I agree with adeyke about synchronising character movement and frame animation. I like the walking speed with him in your version, though; the original version's walking speed was a bit too slow IMO. Perhaps you could try putting on anti-glide mode and increasing the frame speed of his walking loops. That way he wouldn't need to walk incredibly slowly, like in the original, and his animation wouldn't run too fast. He might look a little jerky, though. *shrugs*

In any case, it's looking good so far! Image

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#35 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:20 am

Thanks for taking a look. I'll play with the animation speed and see if I can't get it looking better. I agree that his walking speed in the original wasn't good. Fast was too slow, and Fastest was unplayable.

I've decided to take some of the suggestions people have given me. I'll let the magic map allow you to skip having to navigate the mountain trail, so long as you've completed it once sucessfully.

I've also thought about the spell implemention, and I think I've come to a solution. It won't require the manual, and won't give out copywrite information for the original. Of course I won't know how great it is until I try implementing it...

Well, I'll continue to work on the game... I've got a lot more done since I zipped up that last demo (including a nifty intro screen similar to KQ5&6 like what Tierra has done with thier remakes...)

If anyone else takes a look, let me know what you think. If you notice that something is completely not started yet, or is very obvious, I probably haven't gotten to it yet. But if you see something I should tweak (such as synching walking speed and animation speed), let me know.

Thanks!

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#36 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:27 am

Hey navynuke! I was thinking, "I know this guy is serious, and I could at least improve on the AGI graphics for this game." And it took me an hour to do an exact screenshot from the game. Now, I did this quickly, so there's a lot of problems with it. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm already devoted to my own project (an RPG) so have VERY little time to do these pictures for you, only when I'm not busy. It may be in your best interest to find someone else, but I surely wouldn't mind. Drop me a line at SpongeFactory@nancycarterdeisgn.com

Image Image

Edited by: MuzlakOofmay at: 1/13/03 5:33:26 am

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#37 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:32 am

Here's another one. I'll need your email address if you want me to help. Or email me ;)

Edited by: MuzlakOofmay at: 1/13/03 5:33:47 am

adeyke

Hmmm...

#38 Post by adeyke » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:12 pm

Very interesting style of graphics. Image

It's quite dissimilar from sierra and Tierra's style, but this way it'll be compatible with the AGI graphics in terms of walkabout areas and such. ;)

I think it'd be interesting to see a remake with such graphics.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#39 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:41 pm

Yes, like I said, I am very busy, and probably couldn't spend more than an hour on these, which is why I still use the AGI outlines, etc. At least they'll fit in perfect with what he has, and save me time. After my RPG, if the position still holds, I'm going to remake King's Quest IV. It'll be a lot more like Tierra's and Sierra's versions

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#40 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:50 am

Pretty good... and as long as you keep the outlines of the old graphics, it won't be any hassel at all to put them in the game as I get them from you. The only problem is, I'll need updated sprites. The drawers coming out of the dresser and vanity and the closet doors opening, etc. Each of the individual frames would need you graphical treatment. Not to mention all the character sprites.

Even though having the AGI outlines will make it go faster, it will still be a big job. Let me know if you are interested. I'd be happy to have your help!

My email is navynuke04@yahoo.com or you can just reply here...

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Here you go...

#41 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:59 am

I put that pic in and edited the script to keep you in the wizard's bedroom, that way you won't be peaking at what else I've been working on... Seems to work great, except like I said before, all the sprites will need the same treatment...

http://www.geocities.com/navynuke04/KQ3plus.zip

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: Here you go...

#42 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:25 am

Sent you an email. there's another pic in it. :)

EDIT: POST 100! WOOHOO!

Edited by: MuzlakOofmay at: 1/14/03 12:26:06 am

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#43 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:51 pm

hey im liking what your doing. I also can't wait for Tierra's version and hope they dont stop writing it cuz it isnt really the same bcuz of Wookie's continuing story. whatever you do DO NOT STOP MAKING THAT if you are. but this is also a cool (different) idea that navynuke is doing.

and hey if u need a musician, i may be able to help. tell you what, ill do up a little track for some part of the game (when i have the time...gotta go to work in 10 mins!) and send it to you and you tell me what you think.

dont give up, man. your doin an excellent job. with the right ppl, this might actually happen. and hey. awesome job using AGS. I started using it but never got too far with it. and if you are just new at it, your doin a much better job than me. :)

Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#44 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:32 am

Thanks for the compliments, MusicallyInspired! Yes, I am still fairly new at AGS, and I can't program in C or C++ to save my life, but I used to program in BASIC, so it comes to me fairly quickly. If you ever visit the tech forums at the AGS site, you'll see that I've been asking some questions...

What you said about a musician, that would be wonderful! I put that "demo" out to attract some people to help me. So far I have you and MuzlackOffmay offer. He is doing it in his spare time, the same as me. We are not spending as much time as the Tierra team, but since we aren't actually creating anything new, hopefully we won't take too long to finish the project. If you'd like to help out with the music, then I welcome you to the team. If you have anything you want to start on first, that's fine, do it. But if you want someplace to start, try doing the intro music. I'd like to try my hand at timing the intro to the music, but can't because I have no music to time it to!

I've made quite a bit of progress since that last demo. Right now I'm brainstorming on how to script the wizard. It will be very complex, I can already tell...

MusicallyInspired

#45 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:34 am

i cant program in C or C++ or anything either...i understand the concept of the language and stuff. i used to do a bit of AGI programming...just little things. made my own little VERY short games and stuff. dont have them anymore lol. but i understand the language and stuff but i guess i just dont have the time to dive full-tilt into it.

but ya man ill work on the title/intro music. if your doing it basically just the same as the AGI game then i guess i can just keep it basically the same but just re-orchestrate it. ill get one done as soon as i can.

good luck to you .

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

the sniggering mason
Peasant Status

Re: Anyone interested in this remake?

#46 Post by the sniggering mason » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:48 pm

Hi navynuke

I haven't played your demo yet but I will try it out this weekend - I´m sure I will have lots of fun. Image

I have some questions for you though:

Did you have some program from which you exported the animations and backgrounds to AGS? The reason I'm asking is because I wanted to export backgrounds and animations to AGS from an SCI game and I tried SCI studio but I dont think I can do that from that program.

Could you please explain what programs you've used or how you did it.

Thanks

Mason

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#47 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:38 pm

sniggering mason, as far as the backgrounds, I used the "print screen" function twice - with the character in a different place each time. I then just copied and pasted to get rid of him. As far as the sprite and animations go, I'm using AGI studio. You're right, it won't export the animations directly, but it will allow you to view each frame. I pull of the frame I want, use the "print screen" function, then crop it down to just the sprite. It's taking forever, but it's working... <p></p><i></i>

the sniggering mason
Peasant Status

#48 Post by the sniggering mason » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:57 pm

I was afraid of that.... I guess I have to do that aswell. Well I have a nice program that takes screenshots from dos-games and I'll use SCI studio to get the animation the way you did. The only problem now is that I can't get the script from SCI studio so I have to export the in-game text and figure out which room the text is used in and what the action is that gives the respons.

Thanks anyway.

mason

MusicallyInspired

#49 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:39 am

hey navynuke, wats ur email? or msn if u have it. you can reach me at shine64@rocketmail.com

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#50 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:02 am

MI, my email was further up in this thread... I'll say it again for convience sake. navynuke04@yahoo.com

For everyone else, MuzlackOofmay and I have been hard at work. We have the majority of in and around the house completed. Here is a screenshot from the intro. I've compared it to the original AGI version, so that you can get a feel for what we are doing...

Edited by: navynuke04 at: 1/17/03 11:48:44 pm