Anyone interested in this remake? (Archived)

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Muzlack's Main Project

#76 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:57 am

Hey, you guys. This is looking pretty cool. We had an idea... Cadbury Wookie has written a work in progress screenplay for KQ3 since it was the game that received the highest amount of votes in the future remake thread in the forums... but at the moment we have no time to dedicate to a KQ3 remake, since we've got a VERY full plate for the foreseeable future.

Anyhow, we were wondering if you guys who are working on this remake might be interested in forming a small group to try and turn this into the official Tierra KQ3VGA? It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be a very interesting project. The AGD's could oversee the project, provide the GUIs, some scripting and other things, and you guys could do the rest by following the screenplay. We've also made a few screens, and a few dialog pictures for a KQ3VGA remake which we could pass on. Let us know if you'd be interested in attempting this, and if so we'll create a KQ3 team forum where the KQ3 team can discuss things.

How many people are currently helping with NavyNuke's KQ3VGA remake and who are they?

This is an experimental thing for now, just to see how a secondary team could work on another project. We could have a few more applications open for this project for people to join up as well. Anyhow, please let us know if you're interested, and if so, we can figure everything else out later on.

Edited by: Anonymous Game Creator 2 at: 1/18/03 2:00:04 am

Storm
Knight Status

#77 Post by Storm » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:15 am

LucasFan -
Your pics are absolutly magnificent! :)

One thing though - maybe KQ3 remake shouldn't be 1:1... I always thought Manannan's castle looks a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside Image

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#78 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:31 am

Wow...that post from AGD2 is news indeed! :D Tierra is growing!!! :)

And, Storm is right...those screenshots are gorgeous, LucasFan! I'd love to see those in a game someday! Image

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Wow!! I'd be honored!!!

#79 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:12 am

AGC2,

I would definately be interested in converting my project to the official KQ3:VGA project. That would be the coolest thing in the world! I only hope that I could live up to every one's expectations of Tierra. Of course, if you were to put Tierra's name on the game, I'm sure you'd make sure that it was up to par before letting us release it.

Like I said before, I am doing the programming, MuzlackOofmay is doing the art, and MusicallyInspired is doing the music. All of us are doing this in our free time though, as we all have jobs, school, etc.

I'll contact you by email and we can work out the rest like you said.

Still can't believe it....

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

adeyke

Hmmm...

#80 Post by adeyke » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:29 am

I might also be able to help in what spare time I have. I'm good at Quality Assurance, testing things for bugs and generally compalining about things even if I myself couldn't do better Image

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

T'would be good...

#81 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:35 am

As I've been scripting this, I've been testing it out - a lot. But I am still finding bugs at points where I didn't figure someone would try something... then I have to go back through the script, remember what the hell it was that I was doing, and find a way to fix it. I almost ended up with an "Insert Death Message Here" type error, but thankfully I found it and squashed it before it could bite me...

If I/we are to join the Tierra team, I would gladly be willing to let all members of the Tierra team test and give input.

"Without the fleet, the contest would be on our home grounds, and war is one contest in which it is best to be on the visiting team." -ADM Nimitz

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

Re: T'would be good...

#82 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:46 am

Tierra-- there's one important question yet to be answered about this. I have done my work for making the VGA screens. Each one only takes 20 minutes to do, and I don't exactly put "all the effort" into these, since I'm very busy. Now, granted, they look much better than AGI and SCI0, but they're not up to par with AGD1. Not by a long shot. My question to you is, do I need to redo this artwork with more effort? If so, the project will take longer, but overall, it will be better. Or, is the quality of graphics sufficient enough that you would gladly produce it as tierra's? I'm really excited about the opportunity, but I want to make sure that i don't make tierra look bad if the graphics aren't as good as KQ2 and KQ1's. If you want me to rework the artwork to be even better, I could, but it would take more time, and ultimately, delay the game. But if that's what it takes, I'm sure everyone's willing to throw in a few extra bucks into the ante.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#83 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:29 am

Wow. Are you really serious, AGC2? I am definetly interested if Navynuke and MuzlackOofmay are. Hmmm I'd really have to do the soundtrack justice too if this remake is going to be better than KQ2+ (which I, and im sure Navynuke and MuzlackOofmay, fully intend it to be if we are going to be doing Tierra's remake because the sequals are always supposed to be better. :)

Much like MuzlackOofmay said he'd really have to do the artwork justice.

I'm light years past my original encouragement level if this would work out. Especially if we're going to (sort of) be a part of Tierra's team. I'm extremely humbled to think you would even consider something like this. I may be the lowly music composer (and not a leader of a project or anything), but i still feel I need to say something like that lol.

Anyways, I'm all for it. I'll work my hardest to make this game truly worthy of 'Tierra-ness' if we get the opportunity.

Also LucasFan, I really like your artwork! I saw 2 of those KQ4 pictures before. But the others blow me away even more now. Great job!!

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4</p><i>Edited by: MusicallyInspired at: 1/18/03 5:37:39 am

Zeus
Knight Status

#84 Post by Zeus » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:23 pm

GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!

Hey lucasfun . . why don't you join the team?Your pictures made me look at them for much time. It pleased my eyes what i saw. I think you could work with muzlack and make very nice graphics.I liked the detail of lucasfan graphics, and the colors and use of filters in muzlack's work. The combination would be very interesting.

And if the cooperation between "scripters" (does exist such word?) and artists is official, then there is no need to follow the 'strict' design of AGI art.

Artists can feel more free to enhance the screens,( change the angle of view of a screen, make for example a tree, rock, path of different size, or even add objects) and then send the work to the "scripters", so that they can work to the updated graphics.

what do you think?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#85 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:30 pm

All three of us have had our motivation increased a thousand times over by Tierra's offer. We are all promising much more time and devotion to the game now. We are also putting in more effort into what we do.

There has been mention of possibly asking LucasFan to join our team and help out. He has already helped out Muzlack by giving him some sprites and GUI's and stuff. I personally have not contacted him, but would be more than willing to work with another talented artist.

Right now Muzlack is working on character animations and his work on backgrounds has slowed. You can see from the screenshot I posted earlier that he is doing an excellent job on the characters. I told him to keep working on the characters until we get word back from Tierra, as we do not know how much of what we were making for the "point'n'click" conversion would actually be used in Wookie's screenplay. The castle, town, surrounding lands will more than likely be completely different from what the AGI version of KQ3 has. But the character animations are something that we should be able to take over to whatever KQ3 project Tierra has come up with.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#86 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:01 pm

Ok, then. We'll try to set up some kind of KQ3 development forum soon.

I should also mention that we already do have a fairly strong idea of how the game should feel and what atmosphere it should portray, since this will be a follow-up to KQ2VGA with some new scenes etc.

Every often we (the AGD's) will also probably want to assist with parts of the game such as backgrounds, dialog pictures, and music suggestions, perhaps also animations. The plot is already fixed for the most part and there will be a screenplay to work from. There will also times when we would like to add things into the game and/or edit change things. Basically making sure that things are on track and adding some cosmetics along the way. If this is still ok with you, then great.

As for the game background screens, we want them to be at least the same quality as those seen in KQ2VGA (it makes no sense if not as much effort is being put in), but we'll post more details about this in the KQ3VGA forum when it's up and running.

By the way, the game will be: 320x200 resolution, hi-color, with a digital (ogg vorbis) soundtrack only.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#87 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:23 pm

great to hear from you. What's funny is I haven't used any filters at all when redoing the artwork. I simply open up the original background, add shading, and some color changes and I'm finished. Thats why it takes such a short time. One of the big things I might have trouble is with the grass. Grass in KQ1 and KQ2 are totally different. In KQ1, it was pretty much a color that was shaded, and a little bit of texture. But in KQ2, it looks a lot more dynamic. So when we open up this little forum, I'd like to get some pointers from AGD1 on backgrounds.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#88 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:39 pm

That would definately be okay with me! Anything you want to add to the project would be more than welcome. I know you are really good with AGS, so I'll probably end up bugging you for help ;)

I have kinda sorta stopped work on the project until I see the screenplay. I know a lot of stuff is going to change, and I don't want to waste a lot of time doing stuff that won't be used... instead I've been concentrating on "learning" AGS. (I have successfully timed the music in the intro.)

I am ready to start work. Just point me in the right direction and say go!!! :D

MusicallyInspired

#89 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:01 am

I'm also in full agreement with all the guidelines. It's your guys' game after all. I wouldnt want to mess up your vision of KQ3. It actually gives me a bit of releif that the soundtrack will be digital-only. It would be hard to match a GM version with the original. Probably why you asked us to do digital only anyway. I'll be talking with Tom a LOT on this too.

This will be great. Thanks again, you guys, for the opportunity.

"Requires MCGA, CGA, VGA, PGA, or TA-RA-RA-BOOMGA!!" -Gary Owens, SQ4

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#90 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:11 am

Since navynuke seems to be the "lead" on this project at this point, I have a question I'd like to ask him;

"When is KQ3VGA going to be done?!" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sorry...I just had to! :p

But seriously, congrats to you and MusicallyInspired and Muzlak! Hopefully LucasFan will decide to join up since those backgrounds he posted were amazing. I played the "demo" you posted earlier in this thread, navynuke, and it was fun walking around the castle using icons to do things rather than that horrid AGI typing interface! :D Can't wait to see how this project turns out!

Congrats everyone! :)

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#91 Post by anathoth8 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:22 am

Congrats, everyone. This is a big honor for you guys. Good luck to everyone involved.

Storm
Knight Status

#92 Post by Storm » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:11 am

Wonderful! "KQ3 project - a Tierra's division" :lol

MuzlakOofmay -

I didn't say anything before because I was afraid I'd be coming off as harsh, and I don't mean to insult you or anything, but the backgrounds I've seen you make so far really look like the originals that passed a few filters and smudges. :\

You should really consider asking Lucasfan to do the backgrounds, or at least spend some more time on them. |I

As for the whole team - it looks promising! I think I heard one of MusicallyInspired's creations on the kq9 website, and it was really great. I'll wait and see if you can keep that promise... 8))

MusicallyInspired

#93 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:26 am

whoooa whoa. KQ9 site? i have nothing to do with anybody there....i think you're mistaken :)

Edited by: MusicallyInspired at: 1/19/03 12:26:34 am

Storm
Knight Status

#94 Post by Storm » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:33 am

Sorry, I mistaken you for someone with a rather similar name. :o

MusicallyInspired

#95 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:26 am

Sorry, I mistaken you for someone with a rather similar name. :o

no problem :) . so now you haven't heard anything i've written lol. actually nobody really has. i wonder what ppl will think of someone they haven't even heard of makn the music for Tierra's remake. thats my only worry lol. that i can please fans of KQ and Tierra who havent heard anything by me.

ah i shouldnt worry. you'll just all have to wait in suspense to see what it will sound like :) . maybe ill release 1 or 2 tunes in the future sometime (all depends on the AGCs i guess) just to ease suspense a bit. cuz everyone should have at least an idea of what the music is like especially if no ones ever heard anything by me before. ill have to run that by my collegues. :D

The Knight
King of Men

WOW.............................................

#96 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:09 am

Good luck, gang! I hope that things will go very smoothly for the remake. Glad to hear about the offer from AGD#2. I know you guys will do excellent work.

Just a quick question though: Will demos still be released, like you've been doing? So, we could see the work that's going on.

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: WOW.............................................

#97 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:39 am

Knight, the intros that I released where mainly to attract help from others (if you didn't notice not-so-subtle hints at trying to get an artist all through the first part of this thread). Now that I have an artist, and even a musician, I hadn't really planned on releasing anymore "demos". The project was moving along quite nicely actually and we had pretty much everything in Manannan's house completed. The intro is completely done with music and everything. Because we still have not seen Wookie's screenplay for Tierra's version of KQ3, I don't know how much of the game we made will be useable in our new endaevor. I really think that the intro scene will change a lot, seeing as it looks like a souped up version of KQ3:AGI's intro. I'm sure Tierra's version will have closeups and maybe even another 3D cutscene, so I'm almost positive our demo will be discarded. I have thought about releasing just the intro as a demo, so that our work isn't a complete waste. Muzlack really took some time on the animations and they look wonderful. MusicallyInspired did a terrific job on the intro music. I have managed to piece it all together and have a presentable intro (not Tierra's quality though, of course). If it is okay with my teammates, I'll probably release just the intro to give you an idea of Muzlack's animation capabilities, MusicallyInspired's musical abilities, and my scripting...

Storm, Muzlack has already said that he has not even come close to trying on the backgrounds he's released. He has promised to start working really hard, in order to bring them up to Tierra quality. From the animations he's made, I'm sure he can do it, as I've still yet to see a background that he's "put his time into". If LucasFan wants to join the team, I'd welcome him. Maybe he can work on backgrounds and Muzlack can work on animations. This is also not Muzlack's main project, as mentioned earlier in the thread. He has been devoting a lot of time to it lately though. If LucasFan joined up, it would free Muzlack to continue on his Arean's Wish game.

LucasFan, how about it? Would you be willing to help out the KQ3 cause? You are definately a very talented artist, and I'm sure that everyone on these boards would think it was great if you'd help out.

Like I said earlier, my work on the current KQ3 project has more or less stopped, as I am waiting to see Wookie's screenplay. What I am doing is going back and adding more detail, working out bugs, and things like that. I guess it's kind of like practice for when we actually start making the real thing.

Well, until later...

The Knight
King of Men

looks.............................................

#98 Post by The Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:45 am

*Looks all over for Wookie* WOOKIE! WOOKIE! WOOKIE WHERE ARE YOU?
WOOKIE, SEND THE SCREENPLAY RIGHT AWAY! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

With Dancing Banana's on my post!

The Knight

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: looks.............................................

#99 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:52 am

I'll second that plee!!!

Image Image Image Image

nzgoat213
Peasant Status

Re: looks.............................................

#100 Post by nzgoat213 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:25 pm

i wanna see that intro do u think u could release it cause i wanna see it and it sounds like u will have to change it anyways to fit into tha new and inproved story