"Illegal exception"?

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

swordskill
Peasant Status

"Illegal exception"?

#1 Post by swordskill » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:07 pm

Hi, I just downloaded KQ2:RTA. Installation went smoothly, but just after I pressed PLAY GAME, I got this prompt:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x018EAAE8 ; program pointer is +1004, ACI version 2.54.523, gtags (541,21)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

(Room 0 script line 18)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK  

I had no other application on around the time, just trying to play the game. Re-installed the game again but I got the same thing. Could anyone help me with this please? Thanks.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:46 pm

Are you using the latest DirectX drivers? You can get them through Windows update.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:49 pm

Hmmm... if you post that question here I suggest you post your computer's specs as well.

But it seems like an AGS problem, so you'll probably have to post it on the forums at http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Well, seeing as it crashed out and gave a specific line of code it crashed on, it appears as though it's a code problem. Either that or a driver problem. I don't have the source code to that game, so I can't reference exactly what it's crashing on. My guess would be it crashes when it tries to load a video file. This is why I suggested to make sure you have the latest DirectX drivers.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

nouser

"Illegal exception"?

#5 Post by nouser » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:31 pm

i had this same error on user accounts using win xp. i ran the game once with the adminisrator account. i did not play it though, i just closed it after it was finished loading. after that it let me rum with the user accounts with no problem. go figure?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:26 pm

Did the Tierra logo animation play before the game crashed?

If so, then the crash may be due to the SysEx initialization MIDI file (a silent MIDI which clears the channels and sets them up for proper use in the game). This MIDI plays once as soon as the game is launched, but only when the music pack isn't available.  

So, Installing the digital music pack may prevent that error message from appearing.