Help! KQ2 does not work!!

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alice

Help! KQ2 does not work!!

#1 Post by Alice » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 pm

I played KQ1VGA without a problem. But.. this KQ2VGA does not work. I had no problem while install the game. When I clicked to start,

King's quest
In loading....
 (The first screen, maybe)

After this screen appeared,

Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00640040 ; program pointer is +1004, ACI version 2.54.523, gtags (541,21)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

(Room 0 script line 18)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

This message comes out and the game is quitted.

I am using windows XP and I have diretctx9.0c. The pressing ESC method did not work. I re-downloaded game from several different sites, but it did not work either.

HELP!!!!!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:09 pm

Hmmm,

Are you using a desktop shortcut to start the game? If so try loading the game directly by going to Start - Programs - Tierra - KQ2VGA and selecting it from there.

Also download and reinstall the game often fixes a lot of loose bugs like this.

ACEWIN.EXE does seem to be a problem with AGS itself rather than your windows.

I think re-downloading is the best way to fix this.

Alice

Still does not work..

#3 Post by Alice » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am

Angelus3K wrote:Hmmm,

If so try loading the game directly by going to Start - Programs - Tierra - KQ2VGA and selecting it from there.

I think re-downloading is the best way to fix this.
No.. Unfortunately it did not work, either.. but Thank you anyway..

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#4 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:25 am

This is a long shot but try copying the ACEWIN.EXE from KQ1VGA folder to KQ2VGA folder and see if that works.

Probably not as I think 1 & 2 were compiled with different versions of AGS, but give it a go anyway.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#5 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:40 pm

The Tech forum the error message mentions is actually the AGS tech forum, and not this one. CJ rarely checks here. You might try posting the error message over there and see if he can help you.

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Which version of windows do you have and any service packs?

I'm redownloading KQ1 & 2 on my WinXP SP2 laptop now and see if I get any such problem.

EDIT: KQ 1 & 2 worked fine. There wasnt even a WINACE.EXE file in my KQ2 directory.

Try deleting such a file if there is one there. I would also try installing KQ2 to a different directory IE C:\Games\Tierra\KQ2VGA and see if that makes a difference.

WINACE.EXE is used to play DOS AGS games in Windows so I can't see why this file is interferring...