King Quest I VGA under Linux (HOWTO)

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Minority
Peasant Status

King Quest I VGA under Linux (HOWTO)

#1 Post by Minority » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:48 pm

How I made to play King Quest I (and other AGS games) under Linux. I didn't invent anything I just read several forums and put all toghether.

You will need Wine to uncompress the files, but not to play the game.

1 Download the Windows installers from http://www.agdinteractive.com/KQ1.php

2 Uncompress the files to a folder you will easilly find later. This is done by double clicking and choosing an installation folder (Wine needed for this).  Remember that your hard disk is Z: for Wine.

3 Download AGS for Linux and midipatch (allegro not needed) from here http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

4 Put everything you got from the installers and uncompresions in the same folder.

5 Rename the KQIVGA.EXE file to ac2game.dat (important: lowercase!)

6 Rename music.vox to MUSIC.VOX and speech.vox to SPEECH.VOX (important: UPPERCASE!)

7 If you want, delete any remaining .exe file

8 Run ags-setup

9 Run ags. The first time better from a console to see the output if there's any problem.

10 Say "Eureka" or go back to 8.

If AGD Interactive wants to I can send the result to be distributed and save so a short but error prone process to Linux gamers.

Minority
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Minority » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 pm

Now a question:

I choosed the Spanish translation, the font used is not the same as in English.

Once, after dying in game, the program got closed  :x  and in the console I saw a suggestion about importing a TTF font, because of non ascii characters (I think German umlauts where also mentioned)

Sorry, i didn't copy the exact message, and haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

Any idea? Can I import a TTF font?

Thank you.