KQ2 v2.0 black screen

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

aretha
Peasant Status

KQ2 v2.0 black screen

#1 Post by aretha » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 am

I got KQ1 to run (I think by pressing Escape key) but no chance with KQ2.  I get a black screen as soon as game tries to run.  On using Ctrl/Alt/Delete my screen is in 320x240 resolution.  There is no error message - just the black screen.  I've re-installed, tried with and without music, speech.  Changed music and speech options.  tried letterbox, 640x480,escape button.  I have XP with SP2 and dx9.0c.  I've searched the forums and tried some suggestions but now I'm out of ideas I hope you can suggest something else.  Thanks.

aretha
Peasant Status

#2 Post by aretha » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:21 am

And then I renamed 1.vf1 and 2.vf2 and game runs fine.  These files were the issue on KQ1 aswell.  On KQ1 Windows media player wouldn't play these files(it played in as much as bar went from left to right rapidly and stopped at end but nothing else visible and no error message)  when I made them mpeg/mpg format though the player has mpeg on it's list of playable files and I can play other mpeg files on Windows Media Player. Before I tackle KQ3 do I have an mpeg issue?

renamed 3.vf3 but during introduction game stops with Graham looking in mirror after 1st view of kolyma.  I skip that video but game freezes leaving music playing but no cursor and no solution.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:27 am

If we do another release of the game, I'll remove those .vf1 and .vf2 files from the game directory. They are not really necessary anymore.

However, in KQ2VGA you should not touch the 3.vf3 file at all. If you delete/rename the other two, it will still work fine, but 3.vf3 is required for the mirror cutscene to play, so you should leave that one fully intact.

aretha
Peasant Status

#4 Post by aretha » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:48 am

I didn't alter 3.vf3 until I encountered the mirror error - so it would seem that leaving it alone didn't work and nor did altering it.  Thanks anyway, I can live with missing the introduction and the actual game runs fine - not so much a game more a work of art!