KQ1VGA Start up

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

geronimo
Peasant Status

KQ1VGA Start up

#1 Post by geronimo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:39 am

Can't believe it's taken me this long to find the remake of KQ1... I remember playing the original and the sierra remake of it as a kid many years ago and loved it then.

Anyway, have downloaded the remake, installed it, set everything on default and what happens? After the loading screen right at the beginning I get a fade into a black screen and nothing happens afterwards. Is it waiting for a CD? If so, what needs to be on it... I thought the game was a download only thing :S I run a P4 2.8GHz, 512Meg RAM, 32Meg Riva video, latest version on directX so chances are that it's not the hardware at fault.

please help me folks, as I'd dearly love to play this legendary game again in VGA spendour!

gero

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Music Head » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:22 am

A cd is not required all the files are on your hard disk. Try going into options and changing some of the settings. Try enabling the 'Force alternative letterbox resoloution' option.

geronimo
Peasant Status

#3 Post by geronimo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:28 am

still no luck... I'll try reinstalling.

that didn't work either.  :cry

who'd ever think that such an 'old' game would take so much messing around with! I've tried the esc/rt click in case it was a cutscene loading or something similar to no avail; haven't tried turning down my windows resolution/colour depth yet (next thing to try). any other suggestions?

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Music Head » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:56 am

Looks like you're unable to view the tierra logo movie. Rename the two files 1.vf1 and 2.vf2 located in the game director to sometihng else. These files contain the video. I recommend just adding a letter to the start of each one (a1.vf1) so you'll easily be able to rename them back later if this doesn't work. When the game runs and tries to find these files it'll give an error message which you can just click away. The game should continue as normal.

I was able to open the files with Windows Media Player, so if this works and you wish to see the logo movie them just open them in WMP.

geronimo
Peasant Status

#5 Post by geronimo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:11 am

woohoo! success!

thanks a heap music head. you rock bro.

gero

Gambit
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Gambit » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:59 pm

I too had this problem.  I am running Windows XP x64 edition.  What solved it for me was running the program with the latest version of the engine.  

Download AGS over at www.bigbluecup.com and unzip acwin.exe from the file.  Put acwin.exe in your KQVGA directory and rename kqvga.exe to ac2game.dat.  If you wish you can rename acwin.exe to kqvga.exe and then the program will run from the launcher and if you rename the mpeg files back to what they were, the video should play.  I asked this question over on the AGS forums and got this answer from SSH.