King's Quest 2 won't load, the Tierra intro won't start...

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

King's Quest 2 won't load, the Tierra intro won't start...

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:39 pm

I click it and it has the kq2 loading screen, THEN I wait and wait forever for the Tierra Intro thing to start and nothing happens. It won't start. So what do I do? Any help will be appreciated! :D

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by Music Head » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 am

Does it come up with the 'disclaimer' message and the 'In Memory Of..'' mesages after the loading screen?

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:48 am

Nope. And I already checked that "Force Alternate Letter Box" thing. What am I to do?  :cry

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:57 am

Try playing it in a window. Also make sure the resolution is 320x200.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Music Head » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:38 am

I wouldn't have thought the problem would be cuased by resoloution issues if the loading screen displays correctly. You could try reinstalling.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 am

I tried that, I don't understand, it's not working... :|

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 pm

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! *gets into beetle position and begins to cry*

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:12 am

Try moving the 1.vf1, 2.vf2 and all similar files out of the folder for a while and see if it runs. It's likely an issue with your media player or something.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:27 pm

.................................................................Call me an idiot all you want..........but I'm not sure how to do that. I'M ONLY HUMAN PEOPLE! Anyhow, is there a folder or program I have to go to to remove those files??? Is it in the 'Read Me' part or something? My Computer?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#10 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:17 pm

The game should be installed to something like C:\Program Files\Tierra\King's Quest 1\ (I'm at work, and don't have the game here, so that might not be 100% correct). Just open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and navigate to that directory. Look for the files Erpy mentioned and move them somewhere else. Those files are actually the movie files, and you computer appears to be having problems playing them. When you play the game, you should get an error about it not being able to find the files. Just click through it and you should be good to go.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by FatherGhostface » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 am

YAY! THANK YOU ALL :rollin ! It works!

Aethereal
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Aethereal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 am

I had this issue as well.  I'm very sure it has something to do with the combination of filters that DirectShow will use to render the MPEG stream, so, on a hunch, I went into my FFDShow settings window, and explicitly told it not to be used for KQ2VGA.exe.  It then worked perfectly fine.  I'm looking into what, specifically, AGS doesn't like about my FFDShow... I'll post my findings if/when I have any.   :)

Edit:
Okay, I've changed a heap of settings in FFDShow to no avail.  I'll just write up the best way to disable it for KQ2VGA here then  :D

PART 1:
(This part assumes that you do not have a "Configure FFDShow" shortcut somewhere in your start menu.  Try to find one of these first.  If there is one, skip to PART 2)
  • First of all, find out where your FFDShow is installed (it is a file called ffdshow.ax).  If you got it with something like the Combined Community Codec Pack, it should be in Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax ... It might be in Program Files\FFDShow ... it's up to you to find out where it is located.

Once you've found ffdshow.ax, create a shortcut to it.  Go to the new shortcut's properties page.  Add rundll32 to the start of the Target box, and ,configure to the end.  It should appear something like:

Target:
    rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax",configure

Press OK.  Double Click the shortcut.
PART 2:
  • Now, go to the "Info & debug" panel, tick the "Don't use ffdshow in:" box.  If there's nothing in the box under the tickbox, just simply put in KQ2VGA.exe.  If there's already something in there, just put a semicolon between the last entry and your new KQ2VGA.exe entry.  For example:

explorer.exe;oblivion.exe;KQ2VGA.exe

Apply the settings.  It should be sweet then.
I'm still looking into a simpler way.  I'll let you guys know if I find something.

Edit2:
In reality, if you got FFDShow with Combined Community Codec Pack, there should definitely already be a shortcut in your start menu to configure it, under the Combined Community Codec Pack (might be labelled CCCP) folder in your start menu.