BLACK SCREEN

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

P4D4W4N_4N1M4T0R
Peasant Status
Location: Milky Way - Sol - Earth - America - Texas - Houston - Knottingham Forest

BLACK SCREEN

#1 Post by P4D4W4N_4N1M4T0R » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:22 am

I've recently had some trouble after downloading the first two King's Quest remakes (Quest for the Throne and Romancing the Stones). I simply click on the icon, this small window pops up, I click on play, and then a full screen window pops up saying "loading" and then faster than the speed of light the screen goes black for an indefinite amount of time. I eventually had to just press the buttons control, alt, and delete. :smokin

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:14 am

Maybe your monitor doesn't support that resolution.  Go into the game's setup and see if changing the resolution and/or the alternate letterbox resolution option will fix it.  If it still fails, you could try playing it windowed.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Or maybe the playing of movies doesn't work. (AGS hijacks media player for that purpose) In that case, renaming the movie files such as 1.vf1, 2.vf2 etc. to something else should skip the movies such as the intro and intro mirror vision, but should allow you to play the game itself.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Rather than renaming the movies, you should first try the suggested steps in the very last post in this thread:

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11407

If the movies don't play, there's a high chance that it's due to a clash with the FFDShow drivers on your system. Simply setting the games not to use FFDShow drivers when playing videos should fix the problem and still let you watch the movies, in most cases.

veggio
Peasant Status

Re: BLACK SCREEN

#5 Post by veggio » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Hello! I realize this topic is quite stale, but I'm having the same issue, and I didn't want to create a new topic. Strangely, I was able to run KQIVGA4.0 just fine the other day, but now it hangs up right after the disclaimer page. I haven't altered anything significantly (not that I know of, anyway), so I don't know what's going on. It happens with practically every combination of settings.

I see King's Quest I Loading... for a second, then the Disclaimer page, then a black screen. It never goes anywhere, and I have to exit it using Task Manager. I've tried fixes that I saw in this thread and a different one from last year, but no luck. I'm not familiar with FFDShow (I don't have it, and didn't when I was able to run the game last week), and I don't see the movie files listed in the program folder (maybe they don't exist anymore with 4.0?) I downloaded the game from the AGDInteractive website directly. I'm able to run other AGS games fine. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!! :)

Oops. I left out some critical information. I'm running Windows XP SP3, AMD Athlon XP 2400, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800. All drivers, DirectX, updated.

EDIT: Okay, I'm a dolt. I fixed it! Somehow, in my dxdiag settings, the sound acceleration had been turned down to "No Acceleration." Changing that back to basic loaded the game just fine. Sorry for the trouble! Just ignore me. :)

braidedmane
Peasant Status

Re: BLACK SCREEN

#6 Post by braidedmane » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 am

Veggio, I'm glad you came back so much later...because here I am 3 years later with the same problem! I would never have found the answer if not for your edit.

(For future souls like me who don't know crap about DirectX, you can get to these settings by going Start-->Run and typing dxdiag, at least in Windows XP. The Sound tab has the Acceleration settings that fix this problem.)