Please help -- crackling Wave sound and no DirectSound

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MegaJar
Peasant Status

Please help -- crackling Wave sound and no DirectSound

#1 Post by MegaJar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:41 am

Hi. I just started playing your King's Quest VGA games, and I'm loving them. But I'm having some serious problems with the sound, on both KQ1 and KQ2. I have the Digital Music Pack and Voice Pack installed for both games. In the Setup menu, if I choose "Default WaveOut Device" for the digital sound, then the sound is constantly "crackling", for both voice and music. And if I choose "Default DirectSound Device" instead, it doesn't work at all; it gives me the error message "Unable to initialize your audio hardware [Problem: failed to init digital sound driver]".

I have Windows XP SP2. My sound card is Realtek AC'97 Audio, driver version 5.10.0.6250 (I just updated it). I have DirectX 9.0c installed, and I used the dxdiag tool to verify that DirectSound DOES work. And to my knowledge, I don't have any other programs running that could cause conflicts with the sound card; it's just a couple of MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, and Excel), plus Firefox. So I have absolutely no idea what's causing this!

Can anyone please help me to solve this problem? I love these games, but the crackling gets so bad at times that I just have to stop playing!

MegaJar
Peasant Status

#2 Post by MegaJar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Anyone? Please?

I've already looked through the forums, and couldn't find a solution to this problem. I've seen other threads for sound-related issues, but I've already tried everything they suggested (update sound card driver, update DirectX, close programs that could be using the card, etc). Nothing seems to work.

I don't even really care whether I get the DirectSound option working or not; I just figured that if I got that working, it might fix the crackling problem. This crackling is really getting aggravating, and preventing me from enjoying what is otherwise a truly great game.

Can anyone please help me out here?

EDIT: I forgot to mention: My operating system is actually Windows XP SP2, *Media Center Edition*. Could that be having some impact on this problem?

MegaJar
Peasant Status

#3 Post by MegaJar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Aha! The Media Center was the problem! When I stopped its associated Windows services, the DirectSound worked and the crackling went away!

Thanks anyway :)