No Voice in Vista

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

alexson
Peasant Status

No Voice in Vista

#1 Post by alexson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:17 pm

I have installed the King's Quest 1 with the voice pack, but do not get any voice.  I realize that there is no voice for the narration, but I do not get voice when the characters speak.  I also have the orignial windows version of King's Quest 6 from Sierra and I am not getting voice in that either.  I used to get voice for the KQ6 under VDMSound in Windows XP, but VDMS does not work in Vista which I now have.  I have tried dosbox but can not get it to load the dir.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can get sound for the King's Quest games?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm

You have to mount directories in DOSBox. They don't just automatically exist.

ie- mount c c:\

This mounts drive C as an emulated drive C in DOSBox.

Do you get any sound at all besides voice in KQ1VGA?

alexson
Peasant Status

#3 Post by alexson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:26 pm

I did mount the game to c.  It will not let me change directories after mount c.  I get all the music and sounds--just the voice is missing.

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 pm

You do know that the voice pack is a separate download, right?

What do you do when you try to change directories? What doesn't work exactly?

alexson
Peasant Status

#5 Post by alexson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 am

Yes I have installed the voice pack for KQ1 VGA. Also the voice comes with the KQ6 that I have and has worked before.  There seems to be something in the Vista program that is keeping the speech from working.  

When I try to change directories I get the message "Unable to change to [name of game file]".

Am I going about the right way to get the game dir?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

DOSbox

#6 Post by Brainiac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:36 am

Say your KQ6 install is in the directory C:\sierra\kq6cd and you have the CD loaded in your D: drive for talkie.

In DOSbox, you would input:

mount c c:\

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

c:

cd sierra

cd kq6cd

At this point, enter the title of the executable (KQ6 or Sierra, I'd quess).

alexson
Peasant Status

#7 Post by alexson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 am

After following your directions, I still get the message "unable to change to: sierra" after I enter c:cd sierra.

alexson
Peasant Status

#8 Post by alexson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:57 am

I tried deleting the kqvga and reinstalling it, and now the sound works.  I guess something went wrong with the download the first time.  I still cannot get the dosbox to work, but I guess I do not need it since it now works without it.  I also had to increase my RAM to 20 to keep it from crashing all the time.
As for the KQ6, I did not have the CD in so that was why I was not getting the sound.  I sure wish I knew how to display this as full screen like I did before.  I only get a small box now.  I cannot remember what I did before to increase the size on it.  The minimize/maximize button does not work on the window.  I don't suppose anyone knows how to increase the size on the windows version of KQ6?

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 pm

You can't type c:cd sierra in one line. You have to first type c: and press enter. Then cd sierra and press enter.

You can't fullscreen the Windows version of KQ6. It usually makes you lower your resolution to 640x480. I really don't recommend playing the Windows version of Sierra games. They are extensively flawed.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Sierraw

#10 Post by Brainiac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:I really don't recommend playing the Windows version of Sierra games. They are extensively flawed.
KQ6 is worth playing in Windows only if you want to see the high-res character portraits in Speech Only mode.  If you insist on only text or speech with text, go with the DOS version.

alexson
Peasant Status

#11 Post by alexson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:You can't type c:cd sierra in one line. You have to first type c: and press enter. Then cd sierra and press enter.
When I press enter I just get another c prompt, not another line.

MusicallyInspired

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Ok let's break it down:

1-When DOSBox starts up it puts you in Z:\

1.5-You type mount c c:\ and ENTER. This creates the emulated drive C from your real drive C

2-You type C: and ENTER. This puts you in C:\

3-You type CD SIERRA and ENTER and that puts you in C:\SIERRA\

Does this not happen?
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by pass » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:28 pm

you forgot step 1.5: type mount c c (after z:\).

This is, of course, assuming you have installed kq6 under c:\sierra. If you installed it anywhere else, you'd have to change the steps accordingly.

MusicallyInspired

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Edited. Thanks.

alexson
Peasant Status

#15 Post by alexson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:13 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Ok let's break it down:

1.5-You type mount c c:\ and ENTER. This creates the emulated drive C from your real drive C
2-You type C: and ENTER. This puts you in C:\
3-You type CD SIERRA and ENTER and that puts you in C:\SIERRA\
Does this not happen?
1.5 It works but I get an error message in red that says "mounting c:\ is NOT recommended.  Please mount a (sub)directory next time."

3 I get c:\sierra>

alexson
Peasant Status

#16 Post by alexson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:33 pm

After doing the last step, I entered dir after the> and got the sierra dir which lists the dir for sierra.  I then entered dir kq6cd and got that directory. Now how do I get the scivw.exe file to execute?  What command do I use?

greensenshi
Knight Status

#17 Post by greensenshi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:21 am

Try typing "sierra" at that point.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Starting the game

#18 Post by Brainiac » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:36 am

alexson wrote:1.5 It works but I get an error message in red that says "mounting c:\ is NOT recommended.  Please mount a (sub)directory next time."
Ignore that.  It's stupid.

Like I said before, you need to activate the executable.  All you need to do is type the name of said file.  If it's a Windows-based file (like, say, SierraW), it won't work.  Greensenshi's recommended "Sierra" is a likely choice (or possibly KQ6CD, the typical name of the batch file).

MusicallyInspired

#19 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:53 am

Yes, SCIW.EXE or SIERRAW.EXE are Windows-only files for the Windows version of KQ6 and it won't work in DOSBox. Run either kq6cd.bat or sierra.exe/sierra.com.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by pass » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 am

To do that, just type the appropriate file's name, with no prefix (cd, dir, etc).

alexson
Peasant Status

#21 Post by alexson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Run either kq6cd.bat or sierra.exe/sierra.com.
I do not have a kq6cd.bat listed in dir, but I tried it anyway and got illegal command.  I also tried the sierra.exe with the same results.

MusicallyInspired

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Then you must have installed the Windows version and not the DOS version. The autorun menu that pops up in Windows when you insert the cd will only install the Windows version. This time go in DOSBox and go to your cd drive after you've mounted it (read further up I think someone explained how) and type install ENTER and that will install the DOS version of the game. And once it's installed do it all over again.

alexson
Peasant Status

#23 Post by alexson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:10 pm

It wants me to configure first and when I do I get a message of error in configuration.  I have tried other choices for the config and all with the same result.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Windows

#24 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:28 am

alexson wrote:It wants me to configure first and when I do I get a message of error in configuration.  I have tried other choices for the config and all with the same result.
If you're using the Windows installation, you can't perform the checks on everything as the install program requests.  Your processor is so fast it will cause a "divide by zero" error.  Don't check your hardware; just install the thing.  Keep in mind though, you're using a Windows installation.  If you do that, DOSbox is useless.
MusicallyInspired wrote:This time go in DOSBox and go to your cd drive after you've mounted it (read further up I think someone explained how) and type install ENTER and that will install the DOS version of the game.
That would be me.  Like he says, you want the program named INSTALL rather than the one named SETUP.

MusicallyInspired

#25 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:59 am

Might be running the DOS installation, though, and it's just not saving the settings maybe? What exactly does it say?