No Voice in Vista

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

alexson
Peasant Status

#26 Post by alexson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 am

I am just typing in install. Then I get a screen which says "this program will let you specify what type of hardware is installed in your machine. You must run it once before playing your Sierra game."  It then gives me installation choices for graphics, music, audio, joystick, mouse and memory.  When I go to the choices they are all checked as compatible with my computer.  I have done this before on other computers with no trouble. Then I get the error message of unable to create configuration file and at the bottom it says abnormal termination of installation.  I have also tried typing in Sierra and sinst and they both give me the same screen for configuring.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#27 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Sounds like it's trying to write the configuration file to the CD. Have you mounted C as your hard drive? You still have to do that. Also, make sure the installation path is c:\sierra\kq6cd or something like that.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Installation

#28 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:53 pm

What MI said.  If you're installing, you still need a location to install to.  DOSbox is a virtual machine; it only recognizes what you've told it is there.

From what you've described, you need to enter "mount c c:\" along with however you're getting to the install program, and make sure said program specifies installing the game to the C: drive when running.  The installation program should also tell you exactly what path on c: it will install to (most likely c:\sierra\kq6cd, like MI said).

alexson
Peasant Status

#29 Post by alexson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:41 am

I am mounting to c and e. E is my cdROM drive.  I still get the error in creating config file.  Thanks for everyone's help.  Could you please list again all the steps I need to follow to get the dosbox to run this program?  I am getting confused at this point.  I do not know much of anything about computers.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#30 Post by greensenshi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:55 am

From loading up Dosbox.

type "mount c: c:\"

type "mount d: e:\ -t cdrom"

If you want to install the game, type "e:", then "install".  Choose the options you want.

If you install the game to c:\sierra, then type "c:", "cd\sierra", "sierra"

That should get the game to work.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Correct directions

#31 Post by Brainiac » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 am

Disregard greensenshi's directions.  They're a bit off.

Presuming everything you've described is correct, these are your steps:

mount c c:\

mount e e:\ -t cdrom

e:

install

At this point, you'll run the DOS-based installation program.  Usually when that's finished, you'll be automatically sent to the directory the game was installed to.  If you're not, most likely you need to enter the following:

c:

cd sierra

cd kq6cd

sierra

Remember, each step is self-contained - don't combine lines of instruction.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#32 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:41 am

Here's my suggestion, get D-FEND. It's a graphic user interface for DOSBox. http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/12/ ... D-Fend.zip. This will make running DOSBox a lot easier for you.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#33 Post by Boogeyman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 am

That's what I always use!