Update for Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Raistlin
Peasant Status

Update for Mountain Lion 10.8.2

#1 Post by Raistlin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 am

It seems someone else provided an update last year for Lion, so I'll go ahead and share the links for the Mountain Lion update. These should work for everyone here that is interested. However, I can't guarantee that they'll work on any older versions of OS X. You'll just have to give them a shot and report your experiences here. Happy gaming. :smokin

King's Quest 1 - http://speedy.sh/pbPHc/King-s-Quest-1.app.zip

King's Quest 2 - http://speedy.sh/SWxWj/King-s-Quest-2.app.zip

King's Quest 3- http://speedy.sh/Y4uAG/King-s-Quest-3-Redux.app.zip

Edit:

Quest for Glory II - http://speedy.sh/XHsps/Quest-for-Glory-II.app.zip
Last edited by Raistlin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grhopkins
Peasant Status

Re: Update for Mountain Lion 10.8.2

#2 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks! Is there a Mountain Lion (10.8.2) update for Quest for Glory 2?

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Raistlin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I'll have to create an update like I did with the other three. Give me a short while, and I'll upload it.

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#4 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks so much! You are awesome! :)

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#5 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Also, do you know if I will have to download XQuartz (as a replacement to the now defunct X11) to make your version run?

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Raistlin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 pm

I've got the latest version, so go ahead and grab it. If you're into DOS gaming, I also highly recommend boxer http://boxerapp.com/
if you don't already have it.

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#7 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks so much! I will definitely download boxer. Maybe I am too new to these forums, but how exactly do I grab the QFG2 update from you? Is there a link for it somewhere? Sorry if this is a silly question! :P

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Raistlin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I'll post a reply here with the link when it's ready in a bit. You just have to download it and place it in your apps folder. :)

Edit: You will have to unzip it, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for ya.
Last edited by Raistlin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#9 Post by grhopkins » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 pm

OK, sounds good. Thanks! I really appreciate this. :)

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#10 Post by grhopkins » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 am

Hi there! Thanks again so much for all your work making QFG2 work for Mountain Lion. I am having some problems with wineskin working with it however, and wondering if you are having the same issues? The game automatically goes into fullscreen mode and the screen flickers and flashes like crazy. I read on another forum that this problem can be solved by using winetrick's settings -->ddd-gdi, and this does stop the flickering, but it seriously slows everything down and the game lags a lot. Any ideas of other fixes or maybe something I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Raistlin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:55 am

The problem comes from the fact that GDI didn't actually change the resolution of the game. So while you can put Wineskin into windowed mode, you can't change the resolution of the game. So it just appears as a tiny game in a big window. So unless someone here knows a fix for that, going windowed is out.

I'm not having any of the issues you describe. The intro movie does have a bit of screen tearing because the game isn't v-sync'd though. Something you might want to consider doing is going into the options for wineskin and forcing it to use your system installed XQuartz instead of built in wineskinX11. Unfortunately since every generation of iMacs/Macbooks have fairly different configurations, it's hard for me to troubleshoot the cause of your graphic distortion.

So you would:

right-click game icon -> show package contents -> double-click wineskin.app -> click advanced -> click options -> put a checkmark in the box at the bottom

This helps occasionally, but no guarantees. Good luck!

edit: If that don't work, you may also want to look into getting the full version of wineskin which is free and try using older wineskin engines if your mac is older.

grhopkins
Peasant Status

#12 Post by grhopkins » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks for your help (again!). I tried getting wineskin to load via XQuartz, as you suggested, but the same problems persisted. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. What do you have? Do you think this is too old?

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Raistlin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:44 am

grhopkins wrote:Thanks for your help (again!). I tried getting wineskin to load via XQuartz, as you suggested, but the same problems persisted. I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. What do you have? Do you think this is too old?
Ah you're using an Nvidia card, that's most definitely why, mines got an ATI card (mid 2010 imac). It looks like you'll have more luck with WS9WineCX11.2.0NoXinput2 or something in the CX11 family anyhow. Those older engines work better with Nvidia cards. Downloading and trying out new engines with the full version of Wineskin is pretty straight forward. But if you need help, we should IM about it. Just send a PM on here if that's the case.

Darth Malt
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Darth Malt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 am

I also have an Nvidia card, and suffer from the same problem. I'd be grateful if anyone can point out a WINE engine that works with Nvidia cards in full screen, with which these remakes would work properly. I need to get back to solving King's Quest II with my kids!

bonniejean212
Peasant Status

#15 Post by bonniejean212 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Raistlin wrote:It seems someone else provided an update last year for Lion, so I'll go ahead and share the links for the Mountain Lion update. These should work for everyone here that is interested. However, I can't guarantee that they'll work on any older versions of OS X. You'll just have to give them a shot and report your experiences here. Happy gaming. :smokin

King's Quest 1 - http://speedy.sh/pbPHc/King-s-Quest-1.app.zip

King's Quest 2 - http://speedy.sh/SWxWj/King-s-Quest-2.app.zip

King's Quest 3- http://speedy.sh/Y4uAG/King-s-Quest-3-Redux.app.zip

Edit:

Quest for Glory II - http://speedy.sh/XHsps/Quest-for-Glory-II.app.zip

Hi Raistlin - SpeedyShare is saying that these downloads are only available for premium (ie paying) users - are they available for download elsewhere (torrents?) I remember playing these games ages back when I was on a windows laptop and absolutely LOVING them, but I've spent the day fighting with my mac to find that Lion is keeping me from playing them. :(

dcb5
Peasant Status

#16 Post by dcb5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 pm

bonniejean212 wrote: Hi Raistlin - SpeedyShare is saying that these downloads are only available for premium (ie paying) users - are they available for download elsewhere (torrents?) I remember playing these games ages back when I was on a windows laptop and absolutely LOVING them, but I've spent the day fighting with my mac to find that Lion is keeping me from playing them. :(
Hey Bonniejean,
Just download the 2.0 version (which you probably already have) and then follow the steps in this link:

http://portingteam.com/tutorials/articl ... -or-newer/

It takes like 2 minutes max and the step by step video shows you exactly what to do. It's the wineskin app that comes inside the QFG2 app that needs to be updated. So follow this and you'll be good to go! Such a simple fix

Darth Malt
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Darth Malt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 am

dcb5, the URL you posted seems to be cut off - can you point us to the article you were referring to?

dcb5
Peasant Status

#18 Post by dcb5 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 am

Darth Malt wrote:dcb5, the URL you posted seems to be cut off - can you point us to the article you were referring to?
Hey, sorry about that, I'm not sure why it cut off. It's from portingteam dot com. Under the "tutorials" tab, search for the article titled " Update wrappers to use with 10.8.2 and 10.7.5 (or newer) ". They give you the how to in a step by step video. You will need to download wineskin winery but they provide a link to that as well. Hope this helps

http://portingteam.com/tutorials/ article/37-update-wrappers-to-use-with-1082-and-1075-or-newer/

-just remove the spaces between tutorials/ and articles..maybe that'll work. Or just google those keywords

http://portingteam.com/tutorials/articl ... -or-newer/

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Raistlin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 am

I'm sorry guys. I would have posted a lot sooner, but I've failed to find a new service that will host large files and actually keep them longer than 30 days. If you find an alternative location, I'd be happy to upload again. Otherwise as was suggested, it is rather easy to just wrap these yourselves with wineskin.

infiniteg
Peasant Status

#20 Post by infiniteg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

So I have downloaded wineskin and tried to follow the video that was posted. When I click on "Show Package Contents", there isn't a wineskin wrapper to update, just a contents folder. What am I missing?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#21 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Raistlin: All versions of the Sierra remakes that we made are only allowed to be offered from our own website download links, as per our licensing agreement.

But if you want to package these wrappers up and send them to me privately, I can see about getting them uploaded to our official servers. They'd need to include the Mac versions of the readme.txt files, though.

I've sent an email containing those files to the address you have your forum name registered under here with more details.

Raistlin
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Raistlin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Raistlin: All versions of the Sierra remakes that we made are only allowed to be offered from our own website download links, as per our licensing agreement.

But if you want to package these wrappers up and send them to me privately, I can see about getting them uploaded to our official servers. They'd need to include the Mac versions of the readme.txt files, though.

I've sent an email containing those files to the address you have your forum name registered under here with more details.
I've emailed you with some information on my latest ports, I'll proceed once I hear back from you. If all goes well I should be able to upload today or tomorrow.

dcb5
Peasant Status

#23 Post by dcb5 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:12 am

infiniteg wrote:So I have downloaded wineskin and tried to follow the video that was posted. When I click on "Show Package Contents", there isn't a wineskin wrapper to update, just a contents folder. What am I missing?
Hmm, I'm not sure. You mounted the game, moved it to your applications folder...then "right click" on it, show contents, and it should have a folder that says "contents" and a folder that says "c:/" and the wineskin.app

If that isn't working, try downloading the file again? Sorry I can't be more help...it looks like AGDI is going to put Raistlin's updated files up soon anyway so this could be solved for you soon. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm new to Mac's and this whole process.

infiniteg
Peasant Status

#24 Post by infiniteg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Yep, game was mounted and moved to applications. When I look at the package contents of KQ1 and 3, I just see the folder "contents" and that's it. When I open up KQ2, I can see the wineskin wrapper and have updated the wrapper to the correct version, but when I try to ensure there is an engine version, wineskin just hangs. I'm about to just give up on it. I was hoping that I could play some KQ while having down time since I'm travelling for work, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I get home to my windows box.

StitchedPigeon
Peasant Status

#25 Post by StitchedPigeon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 am

The links aren't working for me; it says that the files don't exist. Any way we can get an update?