Firebug

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Firebug

#1 Post by Brainiac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:42 am

Okay, this is an odd one. I dragged the incense bag to attract the Fire Elemental, got it into the alley, and doused it. However, I accidentally clicked the lamp on the elemental rather than the alley. Shortly after being told there was no way to scoop the flame up with the lamp, the tiny flame ran out of the alley. I then put the lamp down on the alley floor to try again, getting a lengthy little textbox about dropping the lamp for a new flame. Then...a magic flame jumps right into the lamp. Uh...huh. Fortunately, the Fire Elemental remained gone - that would have been quite strange otherwise.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Firebug

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:41 am

I really dislike these kind of bugs since they're usually difficult to reproduce. There's no sure way to make this occur every time, I guess?

Still, we'll take a look at it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:26 pm

It appears to be reoccurant. I did the exact same setup a second time (use incense, drag into alley, douse elemental, click lamp on flame, let flame run off, put lamp on ground, BUG) and it happened again.

Emach
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Emach » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I ran into this bug also. I had forgotten that you need to put the lamp down first. I had lured the elemental into the alley, and used the water. I tried to use the lamp on him, but when that didn't work, I left the alley so I could try again.

In each subsequent attempt (I tried several times), my hero would lure the fire elemental into the alley with the incense, but I would never get the message: "You have lured the fire elemental into the alley" (which also causes the hero to stop pouring incense and allows other actions such as putting down the lamp and dousing the elemental). As a result, the only thing I could do was walk around the alleyway like a putz dropping incense until invariably the elemental would get too close to me, which would cause my hero to automatically leave the alley to the north with the message, "you narrowly escape the burning flames."

In other words, I was stuck. I tried again and again. I even got the engine to crash once trying this.

In the end, I restored from an earlier save and made sure not to screw it up this time. Although, even when I did this sequence with a fresh start, I found that I was able to reproduce the above behavior (never stop pouring incense) if I used the mouse to move my character from the plaza into the alley. If I used the arrow keys, to move my hero up into the alley, it worked fine.

This was a very frustrating sequence for me. Fortunately it was the only real trouble spot I ran into where bugs impacted my experience.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Do you still experience it in version 1.1? Because I could swear I adressed it.