QFG2VGA leaves leftovers in the registry

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

QFG2VGA leaves leftovers in the registry

#1 Post by bugmenot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:04 pm

In this day and age of portable softwares, it's bad enough that QFG2VGA uses the registry in the first place, but after uninstallation these entries are left behind forever:

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\AGD Interactive
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU\0\3\1\26
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\1450
HKLM\SOFTWARE\The Silicon Realms Toolworks
The former and the latter are empty anyway (again, after uninstallation) so why leaving them behind?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QFG2VGA leaves leftovers in the registry

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:48 pm

I'll look into it.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by gargin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:13 pm

bugmenot wrote:In this day and age of portable softwares, it's bad enough that QFG2VGA uses the registry in the first place, but after uninstallation these entries are left behind forever:

HKCU\Software\AGD Interactive
The former and the latter are empty anyway (again, after uninstallation) so why leaving them behind?
This is not really something specific to QFGIIVGA, even software from major manufacturers tend to leave leftovers. A good example would be just about any Symantec product, thats why they eventually had to release a seperate tool to remove leftovers completely. Really, aside from VMWare's ThinApp (Which is really cool) I haven't seen much that would make me believe this is the age of portable softwares.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 pm

The only registry key that's set up (which I had forgotten to remove) was an 'Software\AGD Interactive' one. I am not sure where the other listed entries came from, nor whether they have anything to do with the installer software placing them there, but I wouldn't feel comfortable having the uninstaller removing them manually in case another program placed them and requires them.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by bugmenot » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:03 am

I am not sure where the other listed entries came from, nor whether they have anything to do with the installer software placing them there
It's not an assumption. I just installed the game (v1.0) via InCtrl5, which tells me anything the installer has done.

Alas, you did something good because in v1.1, only this remains:

aside from VMWare's ThinApp (Which is really cool) I haven't seen much that would make me believe this is the age of portable softwares.
Just from the top of my head: VLC (with the right setting), POP Peeper, Zsnes, Putty (unless you save keys) and lots of Sourceforge programs like InfraRecorder Portable, Filezilla (with the right setting), KeePass, FCE Ultra, DOSBox, Irfanview.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:35 am

bugmenot wrote: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU\0\3\1\26
Those aren't AGDI. Those are Windows tracking recently used files/applications. MRU means "Most Recently Used".
That's some digital rights management software, not sure if it's related to QFG2 VGA or not.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:45 pm

The only registry key set up by the installer in v1.0 was the \Software\AGD Interactive key. However, it was also set to remove the key when the game was uninstalled.

In v1.1, this key was removed completely and doesn't get installed at all. The other entries aren't part of the game's installer.