stuck after jumping across waterfall in qfg2

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

zavlin
Peasant Status

stuck after jumping across waterfall in qfg2

#1 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 am

Hi there. In QFG2 after i crossed the waterfall in the cave, i used the open spell to close the air vent, and then i saved and stopped playing. When i reloaded i found that i couldnt move and that usually it would try to make me a cast spell when i tried to move. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this? i've included the save file in case it helps. Thanks.
Attachments

[The extension rar has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: stuck after jumping across waterfall in qfg2

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:22 am

Where exactly where you standing when you cast Open to make the rocks crumble?

If you cast Open from your standing position in that save file, how were you able to walk to that location if the wind sucks you toward the hole when you get too close?

Or did you cast Open from a distance, then walk toward the crumbled hole, save the game, then restore it and notice that the Hero was stuck?

I cannot seem to reproduce the bug. Can you give me some steps that will make it possible to repeat every time?

zavlin
Peasant Status

#3 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:30 am

Hmmm im not really sure, i know when i reloaded i thought i had been further up the steps when i had saved. And i seem to recall almost getting sucked by the hole a bit, and then moving away. I'll reload another file and play back to there, will take a bit only other file i have is before going to rasier:P

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 am

Here's a savefile which I tweaked to get your Hero unstuck.

I have placed some precautionary code in place to hopefully prevent this from occruing in the future, but without knowing exactly what you did, I can't be sure whether it will fix the problem for good.

At any rate, the attached savegame file should allow you to continue playing without having to go all the way back to your previous savegame.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

zavlin
Peasant Status

#5 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:05 am

oh sweet, thanks!:) il try to replicate it too at some point if i can :P

zavlin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:10 am

aha! mystery solved! I managed to replicate it even after the hole is closed. I cast open, and then save with the spell cursor still out, and then i reload and il be teleported to where the hole was and immobilized :P Thanks for the help!!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:39 am

Strange, I can't get that to occur. When I cast Open, save with the targeting crosshair cursor active, and then restore the savegame, the Hero remains where he was standing when I saved the game.

When saving, are you doing so by pressing the F5 key, or are you going up to the icon bar, going to the Options menu, and then clicking the Save button (i.e. the long way)?

zavlin
Peasant Status

#8 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Hmm strangely enough im having some difficulty getting it to replicate again:P But iv always used the long way for saving. And im also finding that pretty much everywhere in the cave scenario after i cast a targetted spell, when i change to the move icon it casts the spell anyway. But this can be fixed by going to the hand icon and then back to the move icon. But apparantly somthing i occasionaly do causes the hero to jump into the hole:P

zavlin
Peasant Status

#9 Post by zavlin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Hmm im starting to think this is somehow a result of me using the icon bar. I found that when i right click to change to the move icon, instead of clicking up top, it doesnt make me cast spells. But if i cast open, and then manually click on move, and try to move, it will switch back to the spell icon.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:04 am

Thanks for the additional info. I still couldn't track down the exact cause of this getting-stuck bug, but I have implemented some code that works around it and solves the issue.

Thanks for pointing out that oversight when clicking on the WALK button from the icon bar too. I have also fixed that up.