QFG2VGA Restoring from different resolution

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

haradan
Knight Status

QFG2VGA Restoring from different resolution

#1 Post by haradan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:32 am

Not sure if this a bug, or if it belongs more to AGS than QFG2VGA, but I switched the resolution in the settings to 640x480, filter HQ 2x (or something like that) and I still was able to restore my previous games, which were saved under the normal 320 resolution. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen, and also it's interesting that allows some kind of cheat on certain easter egg.

SPOILER (KIND OF)....................

You are able to play all the way to day 15 or 16 on normal mode, go to the Pizza Elemental, change the resolution, and beat it without sweating, since the game becomes annormally slow. ;) Of course, you are stuck with that resolution for the rest of the game, but combat it's almost over at that point anyway, so it's not so bad. And for the fighter, it will also allow him to beat Khaveen fairly easy, I suppose.

NOTE: I did all of this in version 1.0, but since there has been no mention of this, I guess nothing was changed in 1.1 in this respect.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

Re: QFG2VGA Restoring from different resolution

#2 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Changing resolution invalidates the save games of anything programmed with the AGS engine. AGDI can't do anything about it, unfortunately. Also, this has been brought up multiple times :)

haradan
Knight Status

#3 Post by haradan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Schloss Ritter wrote:Changing resolution invalidates the save games of anything programmed with the AGS engine. AGDI can't do anything about it, unfortunately. Also, this has been brought up multiple times :)
I know, that's why I found strange that I was able to restore games anyway. I wasn't implying the bug was not being able to restore, au contraire, I was pointing out I did restore when it shouldn't be possible. :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Changing the base resolution is different than using a filter.

When using a filter, it's still uses the same base resolution and simply draws the pixels at a larger size on-screen. However, when you actually select a different base resolution, elements like GUIs and such are drawn and placed at totally different sizes and on-screen locations depending on the resolution selected, making the savegames incompatible.