QfG2 uninstaller deleting savegames?

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Itsatrap
Peasant Status

QfG2 uninstaller deleting savegames?

#1 Post by Itsatrap » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:40 pm

I managed to confuse the installer by trying to upgrade to version 1.1, which of course invalidated my savegames. So I reinstalled version 1.0, but neglected to restart (and proceeded to play the still-working 1.0 reinstallation for about 6 hours).

Then I restarted and the launcher gave me a version mismatch issue, so this time I decided to uninstall and do a fresh installation of 1.0. Except that the uninstaller wiped out my 1.0 savegames (but not my imported character file). Is this the intended behavior?

This was using the uninstall.exe from the game directory. I had tried uninstalling previously, receiving the note that characters (and savegames... am I misremembering?) would not be deleted, but aborted and just installed 1.0 files directly. This time, it gave me no warnings and simply deleted everything.

Serves me right for skipping the savegame backup step this time. I had backed them up earlier, but made the mistake of believing the "savegames aren't deleted" notice. :cry

Itsatrap
Peasant Status

Re: QfG2 uninstaller deleting savegames?

#2 Post by Itsatrap » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:34 am

Okay, so I checked the the language, and it looks like it only keeps imported/exported characters (and not savegames). I guess I was expecting it to work like other games, where the uninstaller leaves those intact, not that it would really help since saves from different versions are incompatible. :(

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QfG2 uninstaller deleting savegames?

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:25 am

Yes, since savegames are incompatible between different versions, they are removed when uninstalling in order to avoid confusion.

Character .sav files can still be used to import into future QFG games, however, so those are not uninstalled.