QFG2: Vanishing save files

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Euthyphro
Peasant Status

QFG2: Vanishing save files

#1 Post by Euthyphro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:57 pm

I looked in the FAQ and did a forum search but I didn't find anything about this (maybe I'm bad at searching)

My QFG2 saves just keep disappearing. It doesn't appear to be consistent, for a week my saves were there just fine and again I started the game up today and I was back to only one. I'm wondering if it is maybe something that happens when I change the settings? That is the only thing I can think of that I have done, other than that I had not even started the program.

Is this a known issue or does someone know what I'm doing to cause it?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QFG2: Vanishing save files

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Sounds strange. I don't know what would cause that. What operating system are you running?

It could be that your virus or spyware scanner is scanning the files and reporting them as false positives (i.e. it mistakes them for malicious files) and is quarantining them or something. But I have never heard of anything like that before.

Have you tried running the Search tool in windows and doing a search for them on your system by filename to check that they haven't been moved to another directory? Also, have you checked the Recycle Bin?

Euthyphro
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Euthyphro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

I have not tried searching for them, I will try doing that and seeing if I can find them. I'm running Windows Vista.

The inconsistency with which they're disappearing makes me inclined to believe it is something I'm doing or, as you said, some piece of software that is purging them.

Euthyphro
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Euthyphro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I've searched all over the hard drive and in the recycle bin and they're nowhere to be found. I really wish I could figure out what it is that I'm doing because I love the game but I'm getting very tired of days 1 and 2 over and over again. :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Are the save-game files actually disappearing during gameplay or do you only notice them gone after you reboot and try to play the game after having not played it in a while?

There was an issue with Vista and AGS games which store the save-game files inside the game directory (as opposed to the "My Saved Games" folder), like the QFG2 remake does.

If you log onto Vista as a different user, I think your save-games won't be accessible if they were made while playing the game under another user's Vista account. Could this be the case here?

For more info, check this thread:

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&t=12498

Euthyphro
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Euthyphro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Problem solved, thank you!