Game Display Distortion

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

joek1997
Peasant Status

Game Display Distortion

#1 Post by joek1997 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:46 pm

All of the games' display areas -- regular gameplay rooms/areas, in-game videos, initial game menu, etc. -- for all of the KQ1, KQ2, and QG2 remakes appear off-center and vertically distorted when played in full-screen mode. The left edge of the game display is chopped off and the right edge is about a half-inch too far to the left. Also, the game display is too condensed vertically, because the bottom and top edges of the display are both about an inch from the edge of the respective edges of the monitor screen, leaving significant black space at the top and bottom of the screen.

When I try adjusting the position of the game display to the right to correct the horizontal position problem, it becomes apparent that the game display is too wide, because I cannot fit the entire display within my monitor screen's horizontal viewing area all at once. I tried both of the "graphics driver" options in the AGS Game Settings app (which for me were DirectDraw 5 and Direct3D 9) and both have the same result. I also tried lowering my desktop resolution as low as it would go (800x600) and playing in windowed mode. In that mode, the graphic distortion problems do not occur, but the game display is way too small to be playable.

Please help! I have a standard Dell Windows XP computer and monitor with a dual-core AMD processor, ATI Radeon video card, 2 GB RAM, plenty of hard drive space, and I believe my video driver is up-to-date.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Game Display Distortion

#2 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:10 pm

I guess that the problem is that your monitor must be adjusted manually for each resolution mode, and it seems that yours is not adjusted for full screen 320x200 (as is to be expected, as it hasn't been used mainstream in ages, even though it was the best mode for programming). Most monitors can adjust not only the screen position, but also its width, curvature, light, and more. Look for an option to adjust lateral width and see if that does fix your problem. Fortunately, you have to do it only once, as the settings will be kept for subsequent accesses, and each resolution is independent of the others. :)