trouble with KQ1

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

vikita
Peasant Status

trouble with KQ1

#1 Post by vikita » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I just downloaded King's Quest I from your site and there are two problems I encounter:
1) Although I choose the option without dead-ends, this doesn't work. My hero keeps dying.
2) I can't save game. Although I do the normal process to save, it's not working.
Can you please let me know what I should do?

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

Re: trouble with KQ1

#2 Post by Muadeeb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:27 pm

1) "no dead ends" does not mean "no deaths". If you walk up to the wolf, it will kill you. The game will not let you drop an important item.

2) I've got a bag here...

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Hello, Vikita!

As for your first question, No dead-ends mode doesn't mean that King Graham cannot be killed, it just means that there's nothing you can do that silently makes the game unwinnable. That is, doing stupid things like giving the magic mirror to the troll, which let's you keep playing even though your game cannot possibly be won from that point onwards.

As for the second question, it seems to be a problem with Windows Vista, that stores your savegames on "My documents" instead of the game folder, which is where the game looks for them. My best advice would be uninstalling Vista because it's horrible, but I know that's not an option, So I hope someone with better knowledge posts another answer. :p

Knight Status

#4 Post by 1234567890 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't have vista, but try to run the program in compatibility mode for win xp. I doubt that will work, but it may.

vikita
Peasant Status

#5 Post by vikita » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Hello Dr. Jones,

thanks for your reply. It's OK about my first question.
But about saving games, I don't have Vista. I have Windows XP. The problem is that although I am allowed to enter a name (save as...) the name doesn't appear in the list below and as a result I can't restore a saved game. The list remains always empty.... Any ideas on that?

DrJones wrote:Hello, Vikita!

As for your first question, No dead-ends mode doesn't mean that King Graham cannot be killed, it just means that there's nothing you can do that silently makes the game unwinnable. That is, doing stupid things like giving the magic mirror to the troll, which let's you keep playing even though your game cannot possibly be won from that point onwards.

As for the second question, it seems to be a problem with Windows Vista, that stores your savegames on "My documents" instead of the game folder, which is where the game looks for them. My best advice would be uninstalling Vista because it's horrible, but I know that's not an option, So I hope someone with better knowledge posts another answer. :p

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Uh, I forgot that Windows XP also has this problem if you installed SP3. Try to install the game on "My documents", heh. :lol

Knight Status

#7 Post by 1234567890 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:25 pm

DrJones wrote:Uh, I forgot that Windows XP also has this problem if you installed SP3. Try to install the game on "My documents", heh. :lol
i don't think that is true. I have Sp3, and it's works awesome! Wait, I've never saved it.... Yeah, it may have the problem, I just always beat it in one sitting. You could seriously, as weird as it is, as drjones said install it to my documents. I did that with anther game once, it worked. so you never know, and you could make the fires hidden so your my documents folder is not clogged up 8))